PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy landscape II - WIP

Dave.t
05-07-2003, 06:03 PM
Hi folks
Have started another fantasy landscape and would appreciate any comments on composition or anything.
Pencil sketch on layout pad.
I have spotted a perpspective error and will correct .... horizon line is about half way up picture and platform on bottom right should be below eye level and not above as it currently drawn.

Dave:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2003/16662-swing-bridge-pencil-sketch-.gif

drwells
05-07-2003, 07:28 PM
Oh My! Dave...I want this one...It would be a kewl place to visit. Can't wait to see the progress on it. :)

Danny

MonicaB
05-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Dave, this is going to be stunning! Will you post some in-progress pieces too? :D

BTDogMom
05-08-2003, 11:42 AM
This looks ridiculous kinda good so far - I am waiting not very patiently 4 your next installment :D:clap: :clap:

artdude
05-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Nice concept sketch Dave. The perspective looks pretty good to me. You probably have it sketched in lightly already so making sure a person can see the other side of the rail on the rope bridge is something you have already planned in the drawing. Like the character you have placed at the foot of the bridge. :D:)

mel-ink
05-08-2003, 04:57 PM
Looks great!! Can't wait to see it finished!

:D :D :D

Dave.t
05-08-2003, 05:34 PM
Thank you all for looking and your great encouragement......have started resketching onto watercolor paper..a few mods added ( including other side of bridge...thanks Murray).
Will post as soon as it reaches a stage when progress has been made.
WC is a great place........ cannot imagine for a moment that I would be doing this sort of work if it were not for the support and interest received here.

jjsangel
05-08-2003, 10:34 PM
Hey Dave. Love this. I love how you can show such depth and such a feeling of great distances in your work. This is going to be soooo cool.

Phillip
05-09-2003, 07:18 AM
I think it looks fine to me. even though you got the mountains in the middle, the bridge makes up for it.

DSPIT
05-09-2003, 10:56 AM
I agree with PHillip, although the mountains are in the middle and on something this high, you might have wanted to bring the mountains down a bit, the way you have positioned the bridge, (and a very nice bridge at that), it all seems to flow just fine. This should look really good.

Bob

Dave.t
05-09-2003, 11:55 AM
Thanks Sharon, Phillip and Bob for your help.....perspective is kind of tricky on this one....did have the horizon/hills lower at one stage, but they crept up as I put more features in. Will look at this when I build up final version

thanks
:)

Jakeally
05-09-2003, 02:50 PM
May be I'm not seeing what you are seeing Dave....but I don't see anything wrong with the perspective. It just looks great to me. I love the comp of this one.

Newwings
05-10-2003, 11:36 AM
Love it, looking forward to seeing the image develop.
Only thing it lacks is a nice windshaped tree clinging to one of those outcroppings... :)

Mark
www.newwings.50megs.com

DragonladyfromOz
05-10-2003, 12:25 PM
Ohhhhh, I got vertigo!!!:(
Hehehe - naaah, just kidding.
Looks great so far Dave :clap: You mentioned sketching onto wc paper ... does that mean colour is coming too?
Cheers
Manda

baquitania
05-10-2003, 06:32 PM
I love it, reminds me of The Bridge of Death!!! (http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Makeup/4823/bridge.html)

B:Dbby

Dave.t
05-11-2003, 07:25 AM
Many thanks Chris, Mark, Manda and Bobby.

Have progessed a little Chris and changed some angles....posted below.
Hoping to add some trees to left side Mark.....need to practice my trees first.
Keeping my options open Manda.....maybe colour if I am not too timid having finished inking it.
I'm Monty Python fan... will check it out Bobby.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/16662-swing-bridge-WIP-4-WEB.gif

detail view, bottom RH corner

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/16662-swing-bridge-WIP-4-BTRH-DET.gif

artdude
05-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Nice start Dave!! Some very good detail and shading emerging in this!! I say leave this in black and white and maybe play around a bit in a graphics program for coloring and see how it looks. That way you'll always have the original in tact :D:)

:clap: LOOKIN' GOOD!!! :clap:

els
05-12-2003, 02:36 PM
Looking great Dave. And yes, Bobby is right :D

Dave.t
05-12-2003, 05:46 PM
Hi Murray and thanks..... will probably follow your advice and leave the colour for the computer.

Thanks els...you and Bobby are right...the bridge is based on a couple of bridges near home (my picture not Monty Pyhon's that is:D ) reference picture below

latest WIP is as below

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/16662-swing-bridge-WIP-5.gif

reference pic.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/16662-junction-pool-bridge-2.gif

Oldthumbs
05-12-2003, 06:00 PM
That is shaping up very nicely. Good detail, good composition. Thanks for posting the progression - nice to see the process.

MonicaB
05-12-2003, 07:31 PM
Looking very good, Dave. Love the bridge. You must work very fast. What size is this one?

dolors
05-13-2003, 01:23 AM
It's beautiful Dave, I like it very much. Your fantasy landscapes are breathtaking. Can't wait to see your next post of it.

Jakeally
05-13-2003, 04:54 AM
Just stunning Dave:clap: :clap:

Dave.t
05-13-2003, 02:42 PM
Thanks Oldthumbs…glad you are enjoying the progress

Thanks for the kind words Monica ….... I usually cross hatch only, which is quite quick. The size is 18” x 12”.

Again thank you dolors…..you are very kind…….final post is below (although I might fiddle a little more yet)

Chris…quite a compliment from the ‘bird’ lady……thanks

Dave
:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2003/16662-swing-bridge-WIP-7-web.gif

drwells
05-13-2003, 05:30 PM
Dave!! You are going way too fast!! You are making me feel so so slooooow. :D Great Job!! I'm so jealous. I want to be able to draw with such depth of field.

Danny

Dave.t
05-15-2003, 04:14 PM
Thanks Danny.........'gotta go with the flow'......always in a rush to get things down on the paper. That's why I just cannot seem to come to terms with stippling and all those dots...although I greatly admire the work and the ability of those on the forum who do it so well.

BTDogMom
05-15-2003, 05:14 PM
Dave - I drooled over this in the other forum, but I have a question 4 u now - u said :
That's why I just cannot seem to come to terms with stippling and all those dots So what do u do? Hatching?

Dave.t
05-15-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by BTDogMom
So what do u do? Hatching?

That's what I do:) (its all cross hatched!)

Have been using 0.03 edding pen on cold press 'not' paper. The paper surface roughness enables the cross hatching to be textured....with light strokes only the 'tops' of the textured paper is inked.
Sample from picture attached.

Thanks for your kind comments, hope you are not dis-illusioned by the detail.:D

detail approx 2x normal size

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/16662-swing-bridge-coss-hatching.gif

DragonladyfromOz
05-15-2003, 08:05 PM
Thanks for your kind comments, hope you are not dis-illusioned by the detail.
Disillusioned.... nahhhhh, just as jealous as hell! :D :D
I have really enjoyed watching the progress of this - thanks DaveT. All the tiny details to be found and the various paths leading off to who knows where... what a great point to start writing your novel for it now :D heheheee [ might slow you down a bit so we 'stipplers' can catch up!]
Cheers
Manda

Ohh, nearly forgot - what's an 'edding pen'?

mel-ink
05-15-2003, 08:10 PM
Nice job, Dave!! What an interesting technique you use! Really like the results!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

MonicaB
05-15-2003, 08:42 PM
Have I told you yet how very much I like this? :D It's gorgeous (no pun intended -- well, maybe a little).

Thanks for the detail. It's incredible.

seejay
05-15-2003, 10:50 PM
Apologies, Dave! I almost slept through the whole of your WIP!;) At least I can see the stages...thanks very much for sharing this work.

What can I say that others haven't already mentioned??? Fantastic???

Great work, and great detail....and the composition is tops, too. The picture really gets the imagination going...

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Phillip
05-17-2003, 07:25 AM
Looks great,

You must be very very patient :)

Dave.t
05-17-2003, 07:57 AM
Thanks Manda....a novel? now there's a thought...you're right that would slow me down....probably never get time to draw again:D

Thank you mel...stumbled on the technique by accident.

Thanks for your support Monica...may try standing on the bridge and draw the gorge for the next one (guaranteed a "gorgous" picture then;) ).

Thanks Chris....... your comments are valued very much.

and Phillip...glad you like it.

:D