PDA

View Full Version : ARAB in Water Color...

shedreamsbig
05-07-2003, 05:09 PM
I am so excited! I based this sketch off of one of the referance photos I recieved for a portrait... But I changed the shape of the head a little I want to paint a Mare not a stallion.... MY dream horse again!

But I am playing the backgorund by ear....meaning I am not sure waht I want to do with it yet...Any suggestions?

HELP!!!! PLEASE!!

I don't want anything complicated but....I want it to look nice!

Thanks in advance, Christina:clap: :clap:

artmom
05-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Christina, do you want a realistic background or a blended, or daubed, background? If I was painting this (wish I could draw), I would paint the horse first, then cut in the background based on the colors used on the horse. Check out the watercolor forum for ideas on backgrounds!

Lyn

ironhorse
05-07-2003, 06:31 PM
I would paint the horse first, then cut in the background based on the colors used on the horse
Sorry Lyn I whole heartily disagree here. I always do the backgrounds first. It is just way easier to do them first. They can be adjusted after the horse is done. But to do it first is asking for trouble. Too many opportunity's for mistakes.

Now that I've said that. Depending on what color you are doing the horse I would actually consider doing it as a vignette. with just some ground and shadow below the horse.
Twyla

shedreamsbig
05-07-2003, 06:43 PM
Thank you Art Mom and Twyla!!

My dream horse is a bay!! So I want to paint this mare Bay! But I have never done a a bay in water color... I haven't got the slightest clue what colors to mix or use? I have a beginners watercolor set..."Grumbacher" Academy water colors and a limited pallet to choose from.... So I am a little scared to try a bay... she might end up a GREY!! BLAH!! But if you guys could help me figure out what colors to mix I would be VERY greatful indeed!!

As for the back ground...HUMMM??????

I think I want some kind of background....I plan to maybe enter this in a show or try to put it for sale in my gallery...so I am at a loss for what I really want!! Still open for more suggestions!!

Chrisitna

Paul Hopkinson
05-08-2003, 08:12 PM
You don't need a complicated background for this anyway, you will end up taking the viewers eye from all you hard work on the horse.
Take another look at my horse painting for some ideas.
Keep it simple and all will be find.
Try using masking fluid to cover the internal edges of the horse before wetting the sky. Wet the sky with clear water then before it drys at some colbolt blue into the top corners and a few dabs around other sky areas leaving 50% of the sky white.
Use a gradiated wash for the sky by painting horizontal lines starting from the top but every second line you paint onto the wet paper add some more water to your colour to thin it out. By the time you get to the horizon your wash and colour should be very weak.
Try this on some scrap paper first though!
Paul
Here is the sky from my horse:- Oh I added some crimson slightly above the horizon nto warm it up a little...................

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2003/19488-horsesky.jpg

shedreamsbig
05-08-2003, 08:18 PM
Paul your the best!!

How much do I owe you for the Lesson??:D

I am gonna work on it tonight!! I will post it so when you get up tomarrow get her out!!Okay!!

Thanks, Chrisitna!!:clap: :clap:

Paul Hopkinson
05-08-2003, 08:31 PM
Any lessons to you are totally free, night, night.

Paul