PDA

View Full Version : art term "after" definition?

fugitive
05-07-2003, 04:35 PM
I was recently accused of breaking a hard rule in art by stating that my portrait of Edith Edward (which I copied from Zorn's) was an after Zorn, I Googled the heck out of it, but can't find a definition. Does anyone Know for sure? TIA.

Keith Russell
05-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Good afternoon.

What was the rule that you were accused of breaking?

Keith.

fugitive
05-07-2003, 04:55 PM
By saying it was after a Zorn. I thot that was correct, if one was copying a painting.

Keith Russell
05-07-2003, 05:43 PM
fugitive, did the person who criticized you believe that you shouldn't copy others' paintings, or that you could copy one, just not use the phrase 'after a particular artist'?

Keith.

fugitive
05-07-2003, 06:09 PM
Oh, worse, they accused me of smudging over a copy and calling it mine. Now, do you know the definition?

amanda
05-07-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by fugitive
Oh, worse, they accused me of smudging over a copy and calling it mine. Now, do you know the definition?

Gosh, thats a bit rude! I don't know the definition but I do think that's not fair to accuse someone of that.

fugitive
05-07-2003, 11:56 PM
You wouldn't believe some of the people/ trolls, I have to deal with on the outside/ newsgroups. Most don't have any talent themselves, so they rag on others.

way
05-08-2003, 12:02 AM
after may mean "in the style of", least that's my take.

i think you should use "copy of" when copying someones else's work.

fugitive
05-08-2003, 12:24 AM
I have notion that after is used because copy sounds crass, but without documentation, I just don't know.

way
05-08-2003, 12:48 AM
then i personally would use "copy of".

if you have done something orginal but in the style of someone else, then you should use "after". i think the term "after" is used in a more casual manner in this case. using the term "after" saves you from being accused of copying someones style and being "derivative", which is not a legal matter but looked down upon in the art world.

differnt things with diff ramifications.

if you copy a picture without acknowledging such, well...u know, that's a legal thing.

way
05-08-2003, 01:00 AM
sorry for the double post

an example,

if i paint a portrait of someone from life, but i do it in a very recognizable style, say, giacometti, who is easily recognized by his style alone, then i have done it "after" his style.

but if i copied one of his from a book, as a study, then it is a copy of his painting.

same holds true for yours.

can't find examples in my books, but then i don't want to look through them all.

fugitive
05-08-2003, 01:05 AM
Ok, so after is more, "in the style of". Please don't go thru all your books, that's too much like work. Thanks.

Keith Russell
05-08-2003, 01:39 AM
Greetings:

'After' is the accepted term.

"Keith Russell, after Salvador Dali."

Keith.

Rose Queen
05-08-2003, 05:46 PM
Whenever I need a thorough definition on an art term, I consult http://www.artlex.com. If you look up "after" there, you'll find a number of examples dating back to early antiquity and including such artists as Rembrandt, Van Gogh, Picasso (a major "copyist" throughout his career). Perhaps your critic would like to take these artists on, as well? :p

"Copy of" isn't always appropriate if you're not trying to make an exact copy of some prior artist's work, but rather trying to emulate that artist's style or composition. "In the style of" may be accurate, but that's what "after" means in art and has meant for centuries. And besides, why should you feel you have to be concerned about the critique of a troll? People aren't necessarily right just because they put pen to paper, y'know... ;)

fugitive
05-08-2003, 08:07 PM
Miss Queen, you know how insecure we artists are about our work, it doesn't take much to put me off track. Thank you for your thoughtful reply, now I know.

Rose Queen
05-08-2003, 09:16 PM
Oh, you can call me Rose *simpers prettily*... :rolleyes: Glad to have been of service!

mame
05-09-2003, 11:07 AM
A copied painting, i.e., you copied a particular Magritte painting - is called a Pastiche.

saralindsey
06-01-2003, 12:41 AM
from my understanding as limited as it is. but when another student copied a master's painting for the technique or whatever they used the term 'after'. when i was assigned to do a picture 'in the style of' meant my own composition using the artist particulare elements.

so coping van gogh's 'starry night' whould be referred to as 'starry night' after van gogh. but if i painted a still life with his brush strokes and color scheme it would be 'in the style of van gogh"

billyg
06-01-2003, 03:17 AM
I always say "In the manner of" which I have done in my copies of Valesquez 'The Reader' and Renoirs 'Luncheon' etc etc. As the copyright of these paintings has more than likely run out anyway and no one is going to mistake mine for Renoir to me it is a gesture of respect to the artists . The word copy can cover a multitude of sins. Also if the fool concerned in this foolishness should approach you again, Tell him/her to go and play with the hole in their palette.
Billyg.
:D :evil: :angel:

fugitive
06-01-2003, 03:28 AM
I'm very pleased that this subject is still going, as I haven't done more than one or two of this type post. Thank you.