PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Nature

mccab42
05-07-2003, 02:16 PM
The record number of tornados and the resulting devastation in the Midwestern US, earlier this week, prompted this painting 9" x 12" (22.9 cm x 30.5 cm) CP Strathmore 140#

Comments and critique always welcome...thank you.

Skip

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2003/15963-Tornado_500X350.jpg

artmom
05-07-2003, 02:39 PM
Skip, what tumultuous skys! This is a wonderful painting.

Lyn

pampe
05-07-2003, 02:50 PM
tremendous message

well done sky

it reads in 2 halves to me

would like to see some sky colors in the forground

mccab42
05-07-2003, 03:18 PM
Lyn and Pampe...thank you for your comments. Pampe I agree the "right half" of the sky needs blending on the hard edges. I did an overall wash of ultramarine blue when I painted this. I'll re-work the (purple/blue) area to create a better blended sky. Any other suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks again!

Skip

pampe
05-07-2003, 03:38 PM
skip

I did not mean the sky...

I think the sky is fine My suggestion was to include some of the sky colors in the foreground.....wher it is mostly yellow

mccab42
05-07-2003, 05:35 PM
Pampe...I finally got it (the foreground..of course!). I added washes of ultramarine blue to areas I supposed had cloud cover. After the washes, I think there is more dimension to the field and my eye is drawn more to the funnel cloud. Let me know what you think. Thanks again for your help..much appreciated!

Skip

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2003/15963-Tornado_500X350.jpg

suzpaints
05-07-2003, 06:15 PM
wow! scary subject, but great painting!!!

almost has a 'group of seven' look to it.

love it just as is.:)

Susie.

CharM
05-07-2003, 06:54 PM
Great sky!!! Fearful sky!!! Good job...

mccab42
05-07-2003, 07:12 PM
Char and Susie...thanks so much for your comments. Tornados are an awesome force of nature, my hope was to convey that very aspect.

Susie...thank you for your comment about the Group of Seven. Not wanting to plead ignorance, I went to the Canadian Art Archive through the McMichaels web site (www.mcmichaels.com) and now I know about the Group of Seven. Thanks for the prompting. My hope is that one day these paintings improve enough to deserve even the "almost" comparison.

Much Thanks!
Skip

bluesrbest
05-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Skip, This is a gloriously powerful painting. Just gorgeous! Don't change a thing now that you've touched the blue into the foreground.
______
Rhonda
:cat:

Little Old Lady
05-07-2003, 08:36 PM
Wonderful and dramatic. Saw an exhibition form the Group of Seven when in Ottawa 2 years ago. Then found that a local frien of min had take classes for one of them.
JoAnn

rapolina
05-08-2003, 04:34 AM
very beautiful and dramatic! :clap: :clap: :clap:

ciao, rapolina.

Kate Mc
05-08-2003, 06:10 AM
Skip,

This is a really powerful painting, and my heart skipped a little when I saw it. I love the turmoil in the sky. The only nit I have is that tornado funnels are usually dark, from all the stuff that they've picked up from the ground. To me, a white and blue one looks clean, rather than cruel.

The other thing I'd say is that when there's a tornado around, the sky actually turns GREEN. It's a sort of sickening color, and I don't think I'd use it in a painting because most people have never seen it and wouldn't believe it.

In any case, If I was on this road, I'd go the other way!!

Thanks for showing this to us.

Kate

NeilUnreal
05-08-2003, 09:33 AM
I like the surreal, allegorical feel to the composition -- traveling down a road towards an unavoidable nexus of turmoil and confrontation. I would hook the end of the road just slightly more towards the base of the tornado, without actually touching it.

Reminds me of John Steuart Curry. It would look overpowering as a mural scaled up to about 4 x 6 feet in acrylic.

-Neil

Annetta
05-08-2003, 11:07 AM
....great rendering! IMHO, I would add just a little more definition where the tornado touches the ground....maybe a few little splatters to depict blown up debris? Other than that, great job! :clap: :clap:

mccab42
05-08-2003, 11:58 AM
Rhonda...I did change it ever so slightly (see below). Thanks for the vote of confidence. Joanne and Rapolina thank you for the kind remarks.

Kate... thanks, I did add another grey wash to the mid and lower portion of the funnel. I believe it gives the twister more torque and perhaps menace to its appearance. I didn't add any green (I m red-green color blind and would hate to create a disaster). Thanks again.

Neil..I took your suggestion and ever so slightly crooked the road to the right. I was aiming for the slight rise in the horizon (just right of the end of the original road) to make the road appear as if it were disappearing behind (used a magnifying glass to paint the altered road). I hope one day to get a commission to paint such mural!

Annetta...thanks for the comments. I knew I shouldn't have brushed off the paper lint from the scrub on either side of the funnel!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2003/15963-Tornado_500X350_F.jpg

Gia
05-08-2003, 01:22 PM
scary!

Kate Mc
05-09-2003, 01:48 AM
WOW!

The small changes you made really punched it up!

Good work.

Kate

Sher
05-09-2003, 02:34 AM
There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home...........................

mccab42
05-09-2003, 11:05 AM
Gia...exactly, this was the emotion I was aiming at as well as awe when confronted with such a powerful destructive force.

Kate, again thanks, these forums do help so much, not only from a learning perspective but also as an aid in becoming a better painter. I wonder what the master painters of old would have thought about such a forum?

Sher...LOL, my thoughts exactly!

CharM
05-09-2003, 12:56 PM
Wow Skip!!! what a change!!! You can be very, very proud of this!!!