PDA

View Full Version : African Buffalo WIP

wildlifeart89
03-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Hi Everyone!
Here's a piece I started a few days ago.When I saw the photo of this guy on flickr, I knew I had to paint them. I love the way he/she is looking straight at you and their unquestionable confidence. Thank you so much to Paul Mannix for letting me use his wonderful photo. There are a few new things going on in this piece for me. The first is that I've never painted on a canvas this size (I believe it is 24X30), and I'm really excited about it. Also, as many of you know, I usually stick around with painting big cats, with a few primates in the bunch, never before have I painted any type of buffalo or bison before! That I am enjoying as well! The third is kind of new to me, I'm working in acrylics, a medium I used to work in a lot about 5/6 years ago, until oils took over, and that I haven't worked in since. Although it has been an adjustment, I'm also enjoying the acrylics.:)
Thank you so much for looking, all C&C Welcome!
Paige
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2012/214474-AfricanBuffalo.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2012/214474-BuffaloPhoto.jpg

aRt4us
03-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Loving your talent, I'll be watching.

Painting joy
Gary

jbart
03-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Great start, will follow!

NRC
03-26-2012, 11:54 PM
Wow! Your start is fantastic. There's vibrancy, looseness so far. Your start is where I sometimes wish mine might end. :envy:

Barb'sArt
03-27-2012, 12:40 AM
Great start Paige!

wildlifeart89
03-27-2012, 12:57 AM
Thank you Gary, glad to hear you like it.:) Thank you so, so much for the encouragement, Jimmie, NRC, and Barb, very happy to hear that you all like it.:D

chammi kaiser
03-27-2012, 03:24 AM
I'll be watching too. I have just done a sketch of a buffalo. Watched them recently and found them fascinating with their amazing horny structure on their foreheads and their small eyes seemingly on the sides of their heads. -not easy to draw and you are doing a wonderful job. The colours are great. Just one small tip, check the level of the eyes. One appears to be higher than the other.

wildlifeart89
03-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Thank you Chammi, I agree, they are very fascinating animals!:D Glad to hear it's looking alright, especially since you've seen one of these fellas in real life! You are right, one of the eyes does look higher than the other, I will fix that.:)

Barb'sArt
03-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Hi paige,
I hope you don't mind a bit of an observation after looking at this again.
You may intend to add to the inside rear leg, so if so just disregard this observation-
The inside rear leg shows more of a upper thigh area in the ref., yet in your start, I'm not seeing that...yet!:)

aRt4us
03-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Hi paige,
I hope you don't mind a bit of an observation after looking at this again.
You may intend to add to the inside rear leg, so if so just disregard this observation-
The inside rear leg shows more of a upper thigh area in the ref., yet in your start, I'm not seeing that...yet!:)

At first I thought the same, bit if you look closer its the tail end.
Painting fun
Gary

Barb'sArt
03-28-2012, 05:22 PM
At first I thought the same, bit if you look closer its the tail end.
Painting fun
Gary

Right you are Gary, now off to buy a new pair of spectacles:lol: !
Sorry Paige!

nickib
03-29-2012, 12:34 AM
:clap::clap::clap:watching Paige :wave:Nicki

midcoast
03-29-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm such a minimalist that I love this just the way it is ;) But I WILL be watching with interest to see how you develop it...

:)

Nancy

Knenk
03-29-2012, 11:53 AM
I really like this painting. Your use of colors and the softness in your works are always splendid Paige! Lovely subject too, this guys are looking really impressive.

Diana

skappy
03-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Very good Paige I like the palette you used:clap: :clap:
Robert:cat:

wildlifeart89
04-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the wonderful comments Nicki, Diana, and Robert! Nancy, thank you! I too love the minimalistic look, but I'd like to do a background.:D Bard and Gary, glad you guys figured it out!:D Well, here's where I'm at right now, after changing the background multiples times. I'm fairly happy with it, I'd like to see what you all think about it though. Thanks for looking!
Paige:heart:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/214474-AfricanBuffalo2.jpg

wildlifeart89
04-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Hello all!
I've worked a bit more on this fella. I'm very undecided about the grass and I'm not sure what to do about it...I don't know if I should keep it or create some type of muddy ground similar to what I had in the first photo (which looking back, I really like!). So, any advice or comments would really be appreciated. Thanks for looking!:heart:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2012/214474-AfricanBuffalo.jpg