PDA

View Full Version : Good Brushes ---

stodbw
05-07-2003, 11:56 AM
I think we all agree that the right kind of brush is vital to our work. What is your favorite brand of synthetic brush for water color?

By that I mean, what would you recommend to other to purchase?

Grayeagle

pampe
05-07-2003, 12:00 PM
Cheap Joes Golden Fleece .. great buy for the price

karenjh
05-07-2003, 12:01 PM
My favorite is the Cosmotop Spin brushes. I think they are by DaVinci.

Christie
05-07-2003, 12:10 PM
Taklons seem to be the ones that I use the most right now because they are inexpensive and my kids can use them with me wincing. :)

I am slowly upgrading to better brushes, but the Taklons last and they hold their points well.

NeilUnreal
05-07-2003, 12:37 PM
I agree with Christie. I usually buy the moderately priced artist's brushes when they go on sale at the local crafts mega-store. I take care of my brushes, but this way it's no heartbreak to chuck 'em and get new ones when they wear out , trim them to special shapes, etc.

The W&N Cotman line are a consistently good value for the money; they're either synthetic or a blend. Very soft and even paint flow.

The Loew-Cornell 7000 series (synthetic or blend?) and the AmericanPainter 4300 series (Taklon) have good capacity with thicker paints and good tips for detail. Like Christie said, Taklon points last a long time.

The secret to getting good brushes cheap is to physically examine every brush. Even in moderately priced brushes there are a few golden apples in each bushel. You look a little weird standing in front of the brush display holding up and eyeballing every brush, but that's art! :D

-Neil

Joni St. Martin
05-07-2003, 01:12 PM
I have been very happy with the Princeton line of brushes. I don't know which art supply websites carry them because I buy them at a local fine art store. I believe they have their own website.

I like the edges they give me. They hold a lot of paint and they give really good control. Their flat wash and the stroke are great brushes.

Regards,

Joni

lyn lynch
05-07-2003, 01:13 PM
Like Unreal Neil I examine cheaper brushes individually before purchase. I liked Lowell Cornell for acrylics but for watercolor I am using Robert Simmons Sapphaire, which I also get at local craft store on sale. Holds a good amount of water and point as long as I treat it with respect.

lynn_cyr
05-07-2003, 01:13 PM
I only use the Robert Simmons brushes I get from my local craft/art supplies store. They go 50% every once in a while (plus my 20% discount from working there part-time ;) ), so they're a great bargain. The only ones I buy are the Sienna and Sapphire series.

I also like them very much, but I don't have any "really" high quality brushes to compare them to, so I don't know. They seem to work very well for me.

Lynn

Aspiring
05-07-2003, 01:14 PM
I have just read that they are the best, not having to do with the points they hold, etc, but the fact they don't release the water all at once. Since I seem to always be working in a puddle I thought that was why. I am using good synthetic brushes. I'm also a decorative artist by profession so I know good brushes for that, but they seem to differ for watercolor.
Would most of you agree the Kolinsky is the best? Now I am talking about detailed flower painting. The author shows how to make graded small areas and intimates one can't do it with synthetics. I am willing to invest if this is so cause I am so frustrated!
This is a great place to come for help. Here I was coming in here to ask about brushes and already there was a thread up.

pampe
05-07-2003, 01:15 PM
so now you know

you will get as many answers as artists

lyn lynch
05-07-2003, 01:31 PM
Yup, what Pamps said.
If you search the watercolor site you will find many threads about brushes as the topic comes up before.
I am retired decorative painter. Working from water puddle may be your treatment of the medium, too, and not necessarily the brush. I used flats exclusively in decorative painting [a liner for rare linear work], and round and angle shader in watercolor. I am not doing work requiring a flat.