PDA

View Full Version : the boatyard

tunna
05-07-2003, 06:33 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2003/19558-the_boatyard1.jpg

took this off picture on cd by peter saw. its a very good instructive cd.
10x 8 done on cotman 140 -reeves watercolours
only been painting a month , all critiques good or bad are welcome.
regards tunna.

Phillip
05-07-2003, 06:37 AM
Hi Tunna.
I like the painting.

I ordered Peter Saw Cd yesterday, I can't wait to receive it.
Might take a while with the freight.

I also own 2 other CD's one is Ron's & the other is a artist from Brisbane here in Australia his name is John Lovett.

Yorky
05-07-2003, 04:58 PM
For one month - a good effort!

May I suggest you try simpler subjects for a while, with broad sweeps of wash. This one is so complicated.

I can see you had trouble holding it together - there are gaps around the top of the shed for example which should be sky.

Watercolour is a medium that comes with practice - first learn the techniques - how to lay a wash, do a sketch etc then put your technique into action. have a look at Rod's step by step examples on the front page - they are excellent learning material.

Above all - paint, paint, paint. You will be surprised how you improve with practice. Try to be a little more accurate with your brush strokes and remember to have darks/shadows in your painting as they really bring the subject to life.

Sounds as if I'm an expert doesn't it? - but like all watercolourists I am still learning every day. So keep at it and let us see your paintings.

Doug

pampe
05-07-2003, 05:01 PM
Hi, tunna

Good job!

I agree with Yorky....start out with simple exercises and you'll learn the basics that way.

Pam

tunna
05-07-2003, 05:09 PM
thanks for being so frank yorky and pampe -much appreciated. have started to do a few doodles to try and improve.
regards tunna.

Yorky
05-07-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by tunna
thanks for being so frank yorky and pampe -much appreciated. have started to do a few doodles to try and improve.
regards tunna.

I'm so glad you took it in the spirit that it was offered, tunna. We are trying to be helpful because we have all been through that stage ourselves.

I used to do little studies of skies, trees, etc at work in the lunch hour using a tiny Cotman paintbox. Eventually, I got around to painting larger pictures and went through the learning process that you are going through.

So keep it up, and keep your fist paintings so that you can see your progress.

Doug

CharM
05-07-2003, 07:08 PM
Hi Tunna! You'll find lots of helpful advice here... Keep painting and posting!!!!

Little Old Lady
05-07-2003, 08:56 PM
Nice start and good suggestions.
JoAnn