PDA

View Full Version : my Palette

Susan Tustain
05-07-2003, 04:57 AM
Hello everyone

Thank you again for your welcomes!
I'm still trying to navigate this wonderful site - I don't have much time to dedicate to it just now...This is my second attempt to answer the questions about my new palette. I think that message must be circling Saturn about now! :( I think time is the most sought after commodity for most of the artists I talk to. And of course it is the same for me too.

As with everything, we are continually learning, growing and experimenting. When I wrote my book "Glorious garden Flowers in Watercolor" - 5 years ago now - I used a far greater number of hues than I do currently. My passion for pushing watercolour past the preconceived boundaries, and classes and my videos have also encouraged me to continue to experiment and refine my palette. Now I use only 7 or 8 wonderful hues. All beautifully transparent - and therefore they perform extremely well when using my 'priming technique'. Another great advantage is that it is almost impossible to mix mud with these transparent colours! How good is that!!!!!

Schmincke Indian Yellow
Schmincke Aureolin
Schmincke Translucent Orange
Schmincke Alizarin Crimson
Schmincke Thalo Blue
Schmincke Thalo Green
Maimeriblu Sap Green
Linel Bright Red

Remember that different brands use similar names. Often the pigment is very different from it's namesake in another brand. The properties of those hues are the things that really count. The most important property is transparency.

Thanks again for your welcoming messages. Have fun with my palette.

Cheers
Susan Harrison-Tustain

artmom
05-07-2003, 07:45 AM
Susan,

Thanks for sharing your palette with us! I bought quite a few colors when I started painting watercolors in January, but I find that I like particular colors and use them much more frequently than others. I do like the transparent ones and am enjoying learning how to use them to make other colors by glazing or layering.

Lyn

ingegerd
05-07-2003, 08:32 AM
Have you thought of changing Schmincke Alizarin Crimson to something more permanent like Schmincke Madder Red Dark? I think the Alizarin Crimson is the least permanent they got.

starshine
05-07-2003, 09:45 AM
I have your book and enjoy it.

Since Lefranc & Bourgeois Linel extra fine watercolour is very difficult to get in the US, could you identify the "chemical" name for the Linel Bright Red please. Thanks.

Patty

Susan Tustain
05-07-2003, 05:53 PM
Thank you for your replies.

I'll try Madder Red Deep - thank you Ingegerd for your suggestion. That is one of the great benefits of a forum such as this!

On the chart I see Madder Red Deep doesn't seem quite as intense. Madder Lake Deep has a deeper hue but is less lightfast than MRD. I'll have a little play with them and see how I get on.

I do always conduct my own lightfast check on my pigments. I have a strip of each colour sitting in full light, including the harsh sunshine that we have here in New Zealand. It's been there for over eight months now and there is no perceivable sign of change yet. But I think time may change that so I'll give Madder Red Deep a try. Thank you for suggesting it! :)

Patty - thank you for your reply - here is the low-down on Bright Red: Le Franc and Bourgeois Bright Red which I understand is difficult to find in the US : PR149 is the pigment used. Perylene Red BL - colour index number 71137. This red is particularly good. Very transparent, a mid red - neither warm nor cool. I love it!

I understand this pigment has an excellent reputation for lightfastness.

If you are finding it or any other of my pigments (which are varying brands) hard to get, I will add the email address of a New Zealand supply shop who stocks them and often sends them internationally to artists who write to me for addresses:
[email protected]
(Minimal shipping costs as the tube is so small).

Happy painting to you all!
Cheers
Susan Harrison-Tustain
http://www.susanart.com