PDA

View Full Version : Masai Elephants

sweetbabydill
05-07-2003, 01:17 AM
Done on Arches 140lb. cp
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2003/19702-Masai_Elephants.jpg
This is from another of my instructors (J. Ferugson) on his visit to Africa. Comments welcomed.
Carolyn

PMurphy42
05-07-2003, 01:47 AM
I like your elephants Carolyn...is the water that yellow in the ref pic? They tend to make alot of mud when they play.

patti

rks
05-07-2003, 02:57 AM
Carolyn, nice work on the elephants, but I agree that the yellow water is not believable. Suggest you tone it down to look blue/gray or blue/brown.

Roberta:cat:

rapolina
05-07-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by rks
the yellow water is not believable

I like yellow water!!! it gives a special touch to the painting! :)
I think that painting is not taking photoes ;)

your elefants are lovely! :clap:

ciao, rapolina.

Phillip
05-07-2003, 04:16 AM
I like the elephants & the rocks & grass, but not the water.

artmom
05-07-2003, 07:41 AM
I like all of this painting. It is fresh, and has a different viewpoint. I agree with Rapolina, painting is not taking a photograph. "Don't be a slave to your photo reference," I believe Pampe said this and I try to remember it when painting.

Lyn

pampe
05-07-2003, 09:55 AM
sweet

I would like to see some of the elephant "gray" in the rocks

agree about the water...may be the scan????

sweetbabydill
05-08-2003, 12:13 AM
I did a little more work on this
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2003/19702-Masai_Elephants2.jpg
I appreciate everyone's comments. Thanks to all.
I agree about the water also.
But in the photo the water is yellow. But as this is a practice painting
I may do it again in the future and try for a more realistic water look.
(Actually, sometimes no matter how hard I try I can't get the desired look
so I might just say, I'm trying to be artistically different) :0)
Thanks
Carolyn

Sher
05-08-2003, 02:29 AM
I love your elephants! Remember that each individual will see something different in the same picture. If you are pleased with it then it is perfectly done.

M.A.
05-08-2003, 05:38 AM
Carolyn, I think your elephants are fantastic and the yellow water could be a glow at sunset ... but if you were to take some blue and wash over certain sections of the yellow, it might look like a blue-green pool of water? Just a thought. In any event, you have done lovely work on this painting!
:clap:

Darren
05-08-2003, 10:59 AM
Carolyn, I like your elephants, but as a pool owner, I agree with those before me about the yellow water (I don't swim in your toilet, please don't pee in my pool! :D )

thanks

darren

sweetbabydill
05-08-2003, 06:59 PM
Thanks all.
And yes, I won't pee in your pool.
Carolyn
:D

pampe
05-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Carolyn

first...it doesn't HAVE to be EXACTLY like the photo

You could vary the colors in the water a little more...even if you choose to leave it yellow

sweetbabydill
05-08-2003, 07:13 PM
Thanks Pampe-
I will certainly try that. I need a little more imagination. I'm not sure if that is using the right brain, or left. (It's one of those sides I rarely use for sure) :D
Carolyn

CharM
05-09-2003, 10:34 AM
Pam is right... If you want your water to appear yellow, that's ok. Add some variation in colour and value. It's called artistic licence! Have you seen some of the blue and purple people that have been posted here? I'm sure they don't all have that colour skin!!! You are painting what you want and what you like! There really aren't any "rules"... Paint with your heart... This is lovely!!!:clap: