PDA

View Full Version : Tibitan Budda

sweetbabydill
05-07-2003, 01:01 AM
Done on Arches 140lb. cp
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2003/19702-Budda.jpg
I thought this would be an interesting subject to paint.
It was from a reference photo of my watercolor instructor J. Fergurson trip to Tibet.
I am not a Buddhist but just thought the photo itself was interesting. Open to critique.
I know it needs a little more brick work.
Carolyn

capricorne
05-07-2003, 02:02 AM
Nice work
In my view it needs no more bricks, some bricks can suggest a lot of bricks ;)
Jan

Sher
05-07-2003, 02:31 AM
I think the bricks are perfect. You're right, it is an interesting subject.

painterbear
05-07-2003, 07:08 AM
Hi Carolyn,

Very interesting composition with the arch leading the viewer's eye into the painting right to the Buddha.

Nicely painted too. I don't think you need to do anything more to the bricks, they read well. Perhaps a little bit of shadow to suggest the Buddha's features would be nice--not detailed though, just suggestion of a nose and eye sockets.

artmom
05-07-2003, 07:58 AM
Very light, fresh painting! Plenty of bricks there already.

Lyn

pampe
05-07-2003, 09:57 AM
no more brisk work...you would be "fiddling"

Buddha may need some shading

Is this a gold Buddha?

Nice work, BTW!

madmum
05-07-2003, 11:18 AM
I agree with Pam, the Buddha is the focus I feel and you need to draw the viewers eye to it. Wonderful work on the bricks and I love the little monkeys :D

Ruth

Olga
05-07-2003, 12:08 PM
The variation of color in the brickwork is veyr nice and I agee with the above--no more work needed there, only on the buddha and perhaps some more shadow on the monkeys so they show up more.

But it is already a very nice painting :)

Olga

NeilUnreal
05-07-2003, 12:14 PM
I like the slight difference in hue between the Buddha and the brickwork.

-Neil

sweetbabydill
05-07-2003, 11:49 PM
Thank you all for your kind and constructive comments.
I will probably step away from this for a few days
and then come back and add a few more things to it before calling it quits.
I plan on taking your advice and stop piddling with the bricks.
I also am going to add shadows to the monkeys and the Buddha.
As well as giving the Buddha some facial features.
Pampe, I don't think this Buddha is a real gold Buddha per say, but it is gold colored in the photo.
I would like to post the photo but it is from my instructors personal collection, and he has asked me not to post photo.
He is a great photographer though. :0)

Once again Thanks :-)
Carolyn

M.A.
05-08-2003, 09:55 PM
This is a lovely painting. Budha's belly not as round as others I've seen ... I think budhas like to have a full stomach.

:clap:

ptantono
05-08-2003, 10:17 PM
I am a Buddhist. The color is gold but not made of gold. The Buddha (Sidharta Gautama) does not have a big belly. ;) You have painted him right. He liked to meditate under a Boddhi tree. By painting darker bricks behind him and bright orange colors brick infront of him, have bring viewer eye to him. Lovely work !

pampe
05-08-2003, 10:20 PM
I know it is not "real gold" but the color needs to reflect the proper respect for the Buddha....

I think you are doing well

ptantono
05-08-2003, 10:24 PM
Oh yes, additional information ;) , Buddha Sidharta Gautama only had one meal in a day , so as Therevada's monks.

ptantono
05-08-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by pampe
I know it is not "real gold" but the color needs to reflect the proper respect for the Buddha....

[QUOTE[]

I do agree with pampe on this. :)