GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Class 2 For The Apprentice
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I did not try to exact color or stroke but merely to exact an image that represented the old man as Vincent did him in his painting Old Man With A Beard ..

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any help is appreciated ..

jerryW
05-06-2003, 10:29 PM
how the figure fits in frame is more important than anything.
top of head touching?
chin above midline?
equal area for jacket and for face (not same shape but equal area)
very significant notch in nose.
very significant interlocking arc shading for temple and under cheekbone countered by bright arc of cheek and forehead

ordie4
05-06-2003, 10:58 PM
wayne gogh,

looking at your piece i was amazed. i saw the reference painting and think only a more gin blossomed nose + crop of the jaw-line = litigation from the van gogh estate ;-)

o4

artbabe21
05-06-2003, 11:13 PM
I for one applaud you on your struggle/progress...I really am enjoying see your faces come alive...

sometimes showing the reference makes it worse as people then compare too much when it was your intention to not copy exactly...let them judge yours! just my 2 cents...:D

artinoils
05-07-2003, 12:56 AM
Jerry said it best...also color is important since it makes parts advance or recede giving the shape form and depth. Keep going you're doing well. Do another.

Wayne Gaudon
05-07-2003, 07:23 AM
jerryw .. thanks for your time .. points taken and appreciated

Ordie .. thanks .. LOL .. lawsuit ..

Cath~ .. good point but I don't mind people commenting on things that I hadn't had in mind .. sometimes they open up new doors. Thanks .. PS .. my PC got hit by lightening so my email will be down for a bit. Think I lost the power controler and hopefully that is all that got toasted .. had it on a voltage controller and a second power bar with a surge protector .. it still took a shot. Sucks.

artinoils .. color is the purpose .. I can draw but when I paint I lose the likeness in my color decisions so I am doing these and basing my color loosely on the original .. I prefer Van Gogh portraits to the tight more photo realistic approach so getting loose with color is what I seek to learn. Jerry's pinpointing is very good because now I understand that as well as loose I need to have a good floor plan.

Later all and thanks.

s-augustson
05-07-2003, 07:57 PM
Great job Wayne. Nice strokes, thickness of paint and colors.

I look at Van Gogh paintings a lot online. He is my favorite painter.

Wayne Gaudon
05-07-2003, 09:39 PM
thanks Shawn .. yes, the man was awesome in all aspects .. little understood .. but awesome and by all accounts he was a decent and caring person .. that to me is a man worthy of my respect.

bocote
05-07-2003, 11:17 PM
This is great work. I dont think you need any help on this - at least nothing I can add. Copying a previous work is very hard no matter how close it is. Your work is premium and I really like your style with your landscapes and the others that I have seen you paint. I'm really liking each one and can't wait to see some more.

for educational purposes and practice I found copying the masters (or whoever you like) really helps the problem solving process.

nice work,

bocote

Wayne Gaudon
05-08-2003, 06:14 AM
thank you very much .. would call it trying to emulate a style rather than trying to copy. If one were to try and duplicate a piece of a master it would not be done alla prima and in a few hours as it would probably take that long to find a few of the exact colors .. LOL .. anyway, it's fun to play along and it's a great way to discover.