PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of Uncle P. Is this better?

Strawberry Wine
05-06-2003, 08:46 PM
Hi All

To save everyone the bother of going through the whole thread again. Here is the original post

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2003/13320-Uncle__Peter_WIP_for_W.C..jpg

After a few subtle revisions

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2003/13320-Uncle__Peter_WIP2.jpg

Nitsa: Did i go a little bolder

Fookie: Did I fix that back of head shape?

BTW I loved the impressionistic beard jpeg. you sent and Peter is a good candidate to portray this.

Further comments and critiques are welcome as usual

Gail

Little Old Lady
05-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Great. Mail it to Uncle. He will be prould of your talent.
JoAnn

Annetta
05-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Gail, I thought your first one was great! However, I do like the background on the second one better. He looks like a kindly Uncle :D Great portrait!! :clap:

Clasje
05-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Your revisions work very well for me. The background colours do the picture justice and the highlights in the face make him glow with mischief and health.

Great picture. Your uncle should be proud of this one Gail.

Clasje :)

CharM
05-06-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Little Old Lady
Great. Mail it to Uncle. He will be prould of your talent.
JoAnn

Great job! The revisions make a wonderful difference!!!

Strawberry Wine
05-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Thanks Jo Ann, Annetta and Clasje for your input. Rather scary, to send painting to successful artist kin. I know he will give me wonderful praise and gentle but honest critique, which I am grateful for.

Gail

pampe
05-06-2003, 10:09 PM
yes you did

jti
05-06-2003, 11:18 PM
I think this is MUCh better. I'd still like something filling the space right in front of his ear - but very nicely done, jti

lyn lynch
05-07-2003, 12:09 AM
Yes, Gail. Uncle beautiful enough for ol' Auntie to propose marriage via internet.

Uschi
05-07-2003, 07:48 AM
Oh that fookie - HA!

He looks great Gail!!!
Uschi

Gisele
05-07-2003, 07:51 AM
Gail, this is excellent! Do you realise how much you've improved your skills in just a short while?

Gisele:)

Oups, now the only thing your portrait is lacking is .....your signature:D

Strawberry Wine
05-07-2003, 08:08 AM
Thanks Pam, Fookie and Gisele

Now that all revisions and critiques are in I can sign.

Jti: That part of head is just white hair. Maybe I could add a few streaks of grey in that area. You are right, his beard does stop rather short.

Fookie, Old Unc. has probably not touched a computer terminal in his life never mind the internet. LOL I have to snail mail him everything.

Gail

madmum
05-07-2003, 11:11 AM
A really nice portrait, Gail! I see the resident experts helped :)

Ruth

Nitsa
05-07-2003, 11:20 AM
MAJOR improvement Gail!
Now he has shape, depth and a little mischief in him! LOL!
I like that you added some of the shirt and skin tones into the background too, it really brings it all together to make a whole painting!
WD!

karenjh
05-07-2003, 11:31 AM
They both are great portraits and I probably wouldn't have repainted it because it is nice. That being said, your second one is even better. I like the bolder color all around.

Olga
05-07-2003, 12:22 PM
You did well!

The background is much nicer and your uncle looks so cheerful and alive now\

Olga

Strawberry Wine
05-07-2003, 08:26 PM
Thank you Olga. Ruth, Nitsa and Karen.

I have to agree that I have given him more life, thanks to resident portrait garu's They have been a tremedous help along with all ohers comments and critiques.

Karen: I did not re paint whole portrait, just added darker values. Thank goodness for the gang here to nudge me in the right directiion

It was sent to him by "snail mail" today so I will probably get a call and no doubt a critique as well early next week

Once again, a BIG THANKYOU to all who responded and gave me the crtiques and tips to boost my confidence and enhance the portrait.

Always grateful

Gail

M.A.
05-07-2003, 08:57 PM
Wow Gail, both of these are nice but I really like the way you've improved it!!! Your uncle will be very proud!
:clap: