PDA

View Full Version : Newbie masking fluid questions

stwest
05-06-2003, 07:45 PM
I've been trying masking fluid with my watercolors, and have been frustrated with the applying of the masking fluid to paper. I've tried brushes, wooden sticks, squeeze bottles with squirt nozzles, even my fingers. I am looking for more control of the masking fluid in small detailed areas. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Alan Cross
05-06-2003, 07:53 PM
Hi Ted and not only welcome to WC but also welcome to the watercolor forum....for small things I use the incredable nib you can also use a stright pen good luck.
Alan :)

Annetta
05-06-2003, 08:02 PM
Welcome to WC!! How 'small' are we talking here? Must be a smaller area than I've ever attempted. I use a very fine tipped brush when I apply masking fluid. I have found the suggestion of wetting the brush, rubbing it over a sliver of soap (slightly...you don't want bubbles here) and then applying the masking fluid works well. Also, you need to rinse and repeat several times as your working with the fluid. The brush always rinses out clean.

Alan's suggestions sound good and I'll have to remember his technique if I ever need to do something that small.

artmom
05-06-2003, 08:33 PM
I have found Masquepen works very well. Also, plastic picks like you stick in fruit.

Lyn

mymaija
05-06-2003, 09:12 PM
I use a syringe needle that is used for giving babies medicine. It can be obtained very cheaply from Dollar Stores.
Donna

NeilUnreal
05-06-2003, 09:21 PM
Speedball nibs and holders in various sizes.

-Neil

pampe
05-06-2003, 09:52 PM
Masquepen with assorted tips ...fabulous

stwest
05-06-2003, 11:22 PM
I would like to thank everybody for the information. I will try them out in the next couple of days. What a great place to learn and glean information! Thanks again.

rapolina
05-07-2003, 04:25 AM
hi stwest!

I'm asking: is your "masking fluid" fluid enough? If it is too thick to control it well, you can add some ammonium. It takes a little more time to dry, but it works well.

anyway, I remember there were interesting threads on frisket in the past on this forum, you can search for them.

ciao, rapolina.