PDA

View Full Version : This Week's Figure

meowmeow
05-06-2003, 05:37 PM
This was another long session, 2 1/2 hours. We had some weird drapey stuff on the back which we all agreed later looked very artful when it was set up but made no sense in the end. Everyone ended up reworking their background. :D
And yes, her backside is pretty reddish...reflection from the cloths we had in the background. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2003/15050-colorful_katie.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Sandy

doe
05-07-2003, 09:04 AM
Your image seems to be pixelated. But I like the colors you used, especially the aqua with the red in the background! If you added the aqua later, would you put some on her as a reflection? I'm just saying that because you said everyone reworked the background and assume you did too. In any event I'm dying to put some aqua on her!:)

meowmeow
05-07-2003, 09:13 AM
Thanks Doe.
It is a lousy image...I finally gave up trying to get it right. I don't know why I have been having so much trouble lately. Hubby made some adjustments to the camera...hehe...
Adding some aqua (or greenish in any case) might help tone her down. She doesn't look quite so iridescent in person though.
The picture was either coming out way too dark or way too bright. I think if I could have just deleted this thread I would because it isn't coming across right at all. Oh well.
And I just tried to add the little "naked" icon which I forgot in the beginning.
Onward and upward! :D

Sandy

bnoonan
05-07-2003, 12:25 PM
Sandy - great job. I'm going to make a few suggestions for your next life drawing session.

Since our portrait class is now focusing on the figure as well, I keep having to ask myself... is it important to finish a piece or would I be willing to just concentrate on a part of the body and measure it fully and get it right and shaded properly? I'm thinking that I tend to accomplish so much in such a short sitting that I rush and don't spend as much time on the fine shapes and shadows of the human form. I'm also sacrificing completion for accuracy. Like in this situation, I'd just skip the drapery and focus on her beautiful shape. I can do drapery any time and don't have a model posing for me all the time.

Just a thought. Since you've told me you're willing to use those measuring sticks - and it shows, perhaps you might choose an occasional class to focus on just one portion of the body as a study.

Keep going - I can definitely see the improvement with each post.

Barb:) :)

meowmeow
05-07-2003, 12:34 PM
Thanks Barb. I appreciate your comments.
You are right...although part of my problem is I am so not at night person and by the time 9:00 or so rolls around I am done! I mean I am not necessarily done but I know to do anything more with the actual figure will just makea huge mess so it seemed "safer" to play with the background.
But focusing on one area is a good idea. I have done osme of that when we have our shorter sessions. Probably doing it with the longer one would be even more beneficial.
The other thing that happened with this one is I ended up doing a much smaller figure than I had intended. I sketched in the head and then got wrapped up in measuring and stuff and suddenly looked and realized what I had done. Doh! It was very difficult working the details with regular size pastels with such a small drawing. I started with pastel pencils but once I put down the soft pastels it was difficult to go over with the pencil to get the detail I wanted. I need to be a little more bold about the size I think.
But as long as I am progressing I guess I can't complain. And I am having fun!
Thanks for the encouragement!

Sandy

bnoonan
05-07-2003, 12:42 PM
I'm the exact same way about working in smaller sizes. There is so little space to capture so much material. When I do portraits they are about 8-9 inches across. When I paint the figure, the head is only 1" across and I'm supposed to do the same thing? I don't think so.

Also agree about the late hour. I've had to adjust my schedule here to take 3 evening classes a week which is a push for me since I'm a morning person. Sometimes I just put the paintbrush down at 9:30 and tell them I can't do anything else or I'll screw it up. Other times I find that I'm less apt to fight my left side of my brain when I'm tired and can go into the "zone" a bit easier.

B

meowmeow
05-07-2003, 01:06 PM
I'm less apt to fight my left side of my brain when I'm tired and can go into the "zone" a bit easier

It would be great if that happened to me! Afraid not! And then this group goes over to the home of one of organizers. She has beer and all sorts of yummy, high calorie junk. I have had to really lecture myself that if I want to go and be sociable I need to bring my diet coke and lay off the pizza and chips! :D Then I stumble home at 11:00....way past my regular bed time! :D

I think the head on this one was about 1 1/2" wide....too small. And no reason for me to have done that either; it certainly could have been twice the size. The nose not right but I just can't do much with it at this point. I played a bit the next morning then decided it was time to leave it alone. Ah well....something else to work on. Pay more attention to my starting size. Never a dull moment!

bnoonan
05-07-2003, 02:31 PM
Sandy,
Not sure if I ever mentioned this or not but I'm orginally from North Weymouth so when you say... "never a dull moment", I can actually hear that expression like it were from a family member or friend.

Going to draw and paint isn't about beating yourself up - it's about fun!!! I have to also tell you that when I get home from class I always give myself a treat and it's been cumulative in nature. (last night it was the bowl of ice cream).

Keep on painting.... Barb

meowmeow
05-07-2003, 02:46 PM
Weymouth! :D That's funny. So we are almost neighbors...kind of, sort of! :D And I have lots of cousins who ended up on the west coast.

I do have fun...but that pizza and beer every Monday night was getting to be too much. I have diabetes and I really do have to watch it. But even that was easier than I thought. Funny how when I declined the slice of pizza a couple of other people did as well. I suspect I am not the only on who struggles with it. SO I guess it's not just about measuring. :D Well... then again I guess it is. It's either measuring for the picture of measuring my waistline! :D

But you are right...if it isn't fun doing this then why bother?

Thanks neighbor!

Sandy

flower
05-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Hi Meowmeow,

I think you have done really well to draw and paint in 2 and a half hours. You have brought the pose over well, but i think the tip from boonan is really worth thinking about for me too, i tend to try to do a whole pic dosnīt matter what subject and donīt always bring out the important things, i think this lady would have looked good even without the background iīm a newbie to figure drawing although its something i want to master and i practice all the time, unfortunately iīve only been able to do a week-end course last october, we donīt have many courses where i live in germany for any medium.

I always try to remind myself too that the great masters didnīt finish a complete pic in 2 hours, they took weeks and months, why do we think we can do it quicker LOL.

Really enjoyed reading this thread and you have certainly motivated me to start painting my drawings meowmeow and thanks for your advice Boonan

bnoonan
05-07-2003, 04:24 PM
Hi Patricia,

I just find that I'm always rushing and sacrificing quality for quantity.

Hope you get to find more life drawing sessions in the future. In San Francisco we have lots of people willing to disrobe for cash(especially the men). :D

Barb