PDA

View Full Version : Matting question

NeerlysGal
05-06-2003, 01:47 PM
I posted this painting recently and would really like some suggestions for matting.

My art teacher is really into colored matting. She and 3/4 of my class chose a dark blue green top mat with a red undermat.

Feels like Christmas trim to me.

I have a heavy gold ornate frame with embossed flowers to put this in for our art show.

I would VERY VERY much like your help. You guys here are the greatest:D

karenboss
05-06-2003, 01:55 PM
This is JUST LOVELY!! your right to consider well the matting and framing, it makes a big difference on how well a peice shows. For this I would tend to agree with Teach - but you don't want to distract from the painting - I'd consider using the b/g color with a liner in brown or sienna

silysara
05-06-2003, 01:56 PM
How about white mat?? To keep is fresh and springy, but not distract from the bright painting??

S.

nathantkd
05-06-2003, 05:56 PM
i'll tell you what my first art teacher told me (and i've come to agree over the years). Use a mat that reflects one of the dominant colors, but the important part is to make sure it's PASTEL. This helps to make the colors in the painting itself really pop out, while still complementing it nicely.

Alan Cross
05-06-2003, 07:59 PM
I always use a very plain top mat just off white with two or three coloured mats as liners....usually works very well.
Alan :)

NeerlysGal
05-06-2003, 11:06 PM
Thank Allan, Nathan, Sara and Karen for giving me some great ideas.

We have hundreds of mat colors in class to chose from it seems and numerous votes on who should chose what for each painting.

Hopefully this week I can decide since the show is on 6/7.

Thanks bunches:D

ripvanblair
05-07-2003, 04:02 AM
I would do this with it but then I'm a traditionalist-------nice painting--------alan

Phillip
05-07-2003, 04:11 AM
I think off white.

I mainly use of white my self.

The only time I use colored mats is when there on special. I than do a painting to much it.:D

NeerlysGal
05-07-2003, 05:15 AM
Wow Allan thanks for the preview show. That really gives me something to visualize.

Thanks Phillip. Off White would be a better choice I think since the frame is gold. Still not sure.

wayfarer
05-07-2003, 10:34 AM
Definitely off white. I rarely use white-white myself for mats. Can I also suggest an ivory inner mat and a black outer mat?

If you're entering this wonderful piece in a show, conservative matting (read: not color) mats are generally the rule.

Chris

karenjh
05-07-2003, 11:38 AM
I vote for a white or off white matt with a dark green matt underneath.

Elankat
05-07-2003, 11:55 AM
It depends on the intention.

If you are matting to hang on your own walls, then there are lots of options. However, if you are matting a piece for sale or competition, neutral frames and mats are best. In fact, some competitions will actually state the requirements for matting (i.e., a neutral color with minimum 3" borders and a simple gold, silver, or black frame). If it's for sale, then people will be more inclined to buy a piece that is neutral so they don't have to reframe it.

Also, keep in mind that any colors that you select will affect how the colors of the piece read. For example, a green mat will bring out the reds and make them pop forward. A black mat will make the values of the piece look lighter. The main thing is to pick a mat that recedes so that the work stands out instead of a mat that competes with the piece. A good way to judge is to close your eyes and then open them. Note what jumps out at you first. Is it the mat/frame or is it the art? Always pick something that makes the art stand out.

al22
05-07-2003, 11:59 AM
What ^ said...........
Very nice picture......... off white with dark liner........mho.........
......al

wayfarer
05-07-2003, 06:15 PM
well said, elankat. I'll remember your advice as well.

Chris

NeerlysGal
05-08-2003, 12:32 AM
Thank you all for the wonderful advice:)

Elankat..Thanks for the long narrative. I will try that in class tommorow night. The eye closing thing.

The painting is for a show of art students. Wea re not competing.

All that info is wonderful to know if i ever get good enough to do a juryed show. i am still just trying to finish up my second semester of lessons:rolleyes:

You all are the greatest:D