PDA

View Full Version : Digital Feather

Saskya
05-06-2003, 02:13 PM
I have a 12x12 wacom tablet that scares the bejeezus out of me. I've owned it for nigh on three years now, and have only recently begun forcing myself to use it.

Digital art, and color - two things i am simply horrendous at.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2003/21888-jjfeather03.jpg

dk_art
05-06-2003, 02:37 PM
looks pretty good

why does the wacom scare the bejeezus out of you?

BlackTigr
05-06-2003, 06:35 PM
I like this a lot. Recommendation to make it better? Break up the outer edges of the feather a bit--they seem a tidge uniform, and that breaks up the illusion of reality.

I really like the middle stalk (have no idea what to call that) of the quill...

--BT

Saskya
05-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Thank you for the suggestion, BT. I'll keep that in mind for possible future feather creations in the digital medium.

DK - it frightens me because #1) it's so huge, and #2) because it comibines two things that i am notoriously bad at - color and digital drawing.

ajlec2000
05-06-2003, 08:31 PM
The feather should be assuaging your fear. If not feel free to send that fearsome tablet to my house. It's a sacrifice I'd be glad to make.

Saskya
05-07-2003, 12:47 AM
Ajlec - tis so very kind of you to offer up such an extreme sacrifice on my behalf! But i believe i shall attempt to continue to wrestle the tablet into submission for the nonce.

ajlec2000
05-07-2003, 01:02 AM
Oh well I guess I'll just have to continue to be brave with my 4X6
Graphire. Seriously though, enjoy the tablet. Its every bit as satisfying as any tool in any medium.

plumpfairy
05-07-2003, 11:10 AM
:D WELCOME TO WETCANVAS! Saskya! (just in case you haven't been officially welcomed;) )
Beautiful feather.....love the colors and soft shadow!
I am sooooo green with envy.....you have a 12x12 OMG! 'drools'
I have a 4x5....boo-hoo! But, I love it....couldn't do art w/out it!
jana:D ;)

dk_art
05-07-2003, 12:39 PM
I also have a 4x5 graphire. I'm considering getting a 4x5 or 6x8 intuous as that model has features available to Corel Painter. It will have to wait for a while though.

I think I prefer the smaller size actually as all of my sketches on paper have been pretty small.

Nisha
05-07-2003, 04:04 PM
I love my Wacom graphire! Lucky you with the Intuos!
Don't be afraid, it's like any other tool and you just have to get comfortable with it. I think you have nothing to worry about Saskya. The feather is fabulous!
You've captured a sense of dimension and light which is quite remarkable. Keep at it and we hope to see lots more art from you!

Nisha :D

jinn
05-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Beautiful Feather!

I had a 4x5 (4x6? not sure) graphire to start with, and that thing was cool. I liked it a lot, but then it started malfunctioning on me. Then I splurged and bought myself the 9x12 intuos and the airbrush. I LOVE IT. It scared the hell out of me at first, and sometimes it still does because it's so big, but I love love love love love it! It takes some getting used to, and you might want to upgrade to the newest driver so you can remap the workign area to match the window's you're working in, but seriously. Don't let it frighten you. Wrestle with it and you'll come to adore it as much as the rest of us adore ours.

Saskya
05-07-2003, 10:23 PM
*she grins and gives a gentle nod to everyone* Thank you for the welcome, and they myriad of comments. I am honestly rather proud of this simple little feather.

I -am- slowly getting used to the tablet. It's just so fricking intimidating to be because of those two things i mentioned in my last post. But i've been working with it a bit every day, and it's starting to be less frightening.

I honestly think it wouldn't have taken me three years to tackle the thing if i'd started with a smaller size though. I got the 12x12 at a great price though, and since i wasn't familiar with ANYTHING about it or digital art when i purchased it, i assumed that "bigger was better." In the long run, i am sure it's size will come in handy, but i wish i -had- started with a smaller one.

Lynxes123
05-08-2003, 12:29 AM
I am so curious, and please forgive my dumbness:confused:
but what is a wacom tablet? It sounds really neat but I have no idea what it is, LOL. I've seen it mentioned before. Thanks if anyone can tell me what it is. I know it has something to do with digital art?
Lynette:cat:

Saskya
05-08-2003, 12:40 AM
Lynette, a tablet is a tool that allows one to draw upon it's surface using a special "pen" that comes with it. As one moves the pen along the surface of the tablet, the lines are transfered to whichever imaging program the person is using.

Basically, it's like a digital sketchbook. What you draw on IT actually appears on your MONITOR though.

you can find out more by going to wacom's site - which should be just www.wacom.com if i am not mistaken.

Also, look for other replies - I have a feeling i didn't make this very clear.

Lynxes123
05-08-2003, 12:46 AM
Thank you Saskya, yes I understand now!! Thank you for telling me, I was so curious. I am going to go the web site now to check it out. Wow, that sounds like a great tool to have. After going to the web site, a light bulb went off in my head, I probably signed a wacom the last time I used a credit card and had to sign my name on the little piece of glass with the special pen.
Lynette:cat::D

Smudger
05-08-2003, 01:10 PM
very nicely done...i love the colour grad:clap: