PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With New Winsor Newton Pallette

Annetta
05-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Help me go shopping :D

Okay, I'm going to do it!! Ladies (and gents), please tell me the "Must Haves" for a new Winsor Newton Paint pallette. Quincridone (sp?) Gold is a must for sure. Pamps, there is the lovely violet you use. Is that WN and what is the color name? Oh, I did pick up 1 tube of WN...Alizaron Crimson? (I think).

I'd like to have one of each for sure but cost won't me allow to do that at this time. So going to just go for the basics...you know, like the "little black dress", tweed jacket, etc. So need you to give me the best of the best colors of WN paints.

Thanks friends!!

pampe
05-06-2003, 12:00 PM
windsor violet, yes a must

if I were starting on a budget, I would get:

new gamboge
winsor yellow
aliz crim
perm rose
french ultra blue
winsor blue
winsor violet
quin siena

That ought to run you the National Debt!

bswilson1147
05-06-2003, 01:14 PM
windsor violet, yes a must

I also use brands other than winsor:

Cadmium Yellow
Hooker's Green Deep
Indigo
Cerulean Blue
Opera
Geranium Lake

Nitsa
05-06-2003, 01:14 PM
Windsor Lemon
Perm rose
FUB
Windsor Violet
Sap green
All huge essentials to me. I also love the indanthrene blue.
....Hope that helps! :)

vestalqueen
05-06-2003, 01:19 PM
And for those grays let's not forget Burnt Umber (great with FUB for darks).....

Erin

MinneMark
05-06-2003, 01:40 PM
I've recently tried to simplify. If I could only pick 4 W&N's I would choose:

Quinacridone Magenta
Transparent Yellow (Although Winsor Yellow would do)
French Ultramarine Blue
Burnt Sienna for mixing darks with the FUB

I tend to check out the reviews at handprint.com
http://handprint.com/HP/WCL/waterfs.html

Pampe,
I haven't heard of Quin Sienna. Is that W&N? It sounds interesting because Siennas are earths & kind of textural and quins are more like dyes.

Mark

karenboss
05-06-2003, 01:52 PM
new gamboge is much like quin gold - winsor blue & perm rose is much like winsor violet - also winsor blue & new gamboge (or quin gold) make beautiful greens -

I like Pam's list - covers the important transparents - personally my (current) preference is transparents, but that's ver personal.

have fun!!

M.A.
05-06-2003, 05:56 PM
I think you should check out http://www.winsornewton.com. On their site they recommend various colours for three-color and six-color systems. Also, they have a lot of data about their paints regarding permanency etc.

Happy shopping and happy watercolors to you!

pampe
05-06-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by MinneMark
Pampe,
I haven't heard of Quin Sienna. Is that W&N? It sounds interesting because Siennas are earths & kind of textural and quins are more like dyes.

Mark

Not sure if WN is making it.....I am in love with Daniel Smith's...only earth on my palette

Annetta
05-06-2003, 06:26 PM
....thanks for the input everyone! Pamps, now I'm confused. It sounds like artists use different brands because one company might have a luscious color that another company doesn't carry? I thought they were basically all the same color but differently named. Sheesh, learned a lot but still a lot to learn!!

Okay, I'm going to compile a list from everyone's suggestions and see if I have an amount equal to the national debt in my account :p

Oh, one more question. Where is the least inexpensive place to purchase these paints, based on personal experience? I am not opposed to purchasing on line if that's the best deal. I could research this myself but figured I would tap into other's personal experience and maybe save myself a little time to paint :p :p

Uschi
05-06-2003, 06:36 PM
Just checked Winsor Newton colour chart and cannot see the quin. Sienna.

I absolutely agree with Pam's list, but if you want to paint landscape I would suggest you add Burnt Sienna and probably raw sienna.

Burnt sienna and purple makes wonderful browns and with Ultramarine lovely earth tones and with Winsor Blue lovely dark greens, and also beautiful with Alizerin etc. etc.

You will love all these new colours!!!!!!
Uschi

pampe
05-06-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Annetta
[B

Oh, one more question. Where is the least inexpensive place to purchase these paints, based on personal experience? I am not opposed to purchasing on line if that's the best deal. I could research this myself but figured I would tap into other's personal experience and maybe save myself a little time to paint :p :p [/B]

surf Cheapjoes.com
ASWEXPRES.COM
dickblick.com

see who is cheapest (and take into account shipping varies from on to the other)

compare to your local shop (without shipping) and that should set you up

and don't forget EBAY...last week someone was selling 90 colors of WN and more:cool:

Annetta
05-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Thanks Uschi and Pamps for the follow up.

The tubes (tiny) of WN at Hobby Lobby were like $8.49 each. :eek: Last time I was there (month) ago, they weren't quite $7.00 BIG INREASE :rolleyes: If $8.50 is the going rate, so be it, but it's nice to have 'options'. I'll put my paint brush down to surf the sites your provided. Much appreciated.

karenjh
05-07-2003, 12:01 PM
Not to confuse the question here, but I have a pallette that has W&N and Daniel Smith paints. I am liking the Daniel Smith paints more and more and they are very reasonable. It's also another website to check out prices as they carry both brands.
www.danielsmith.com

Have fun shopping!

indigobluetwo
05-07-2003, 01:22 PM
Also, keep an eye out for the coupons and the sales.

Pla-za.com may still have a 40% sale on W & N paints and paper. Although, I believe that they are a bit pricey, if you have one near you, it may be cheaper than shipping costs.

I just recently used a 40% coupon at Michaels Art's and Crafts for W & N paints. Not very good watercolor supplies section except for W & N paints.

I also like using dickblick.com and Utrecht (utrecht.com, though, I haven't used them online).

Kristy

pampe
05-07-2003, 01:49 PM
I am obsessive about comparing prices......and I found you can get all the brands at a discount if you look enough.....for those of you near stores.....shop around...the ART SUPPLY stores seem to be the worst except on sale.....(Pearl Paint had the best prices in Texas)

Micheal's 40% coupons are great but only on 1 item per coupon...takes a long time to fill a pallete at that speed

I think you also have to remember......one of theose $6-14 tubes lasts FOREVER!!!!!

I paint every day and have to replace maybe 2 tubes a year

indigobluetwo
05-07-2003, 01:59 PM
Still, you could give the Michael's coupon a shot. I was able to buy a couple of tubes and a brush. Maybe I was lucky that day.

Kristy

pl_kpprt
05-08-2003, 02:49 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2003/10305-W_&_N_palette..jpg
Maybe this page of the Winsor & Newton site can be helpful for you.

rapolina
05-08-2003, 07:55 AM
i'm a fan of transparent colors and don't like to much quin and phalo colors, as i tind them too staining.

i suggest:

aureoline yellow (someone says it is fugitive, but i never had problems)
new gamboge (wonderful:clap: :clap: )
french ultramarine blue
cobalt blue
row sienna
rose natural madder (wonderflul in pink glaze)
magenta or permanent rose

if can be added more, i'd buy prussian blue and manganese blue (great light blue, for skyes and for mixing brilliant light green going through turquoise)

another great blue, not much used i noticed, is indathrene blue, dark but not staining.

have fun with your new color whatever you'll choose! :) :)

ciao, rapolina.

Annetta
05-08-2003, 08:24 AM
After comparison shopping, and adding in the shipping to purchase on the internet, I ended up buying them at Hob Lob. Also bought another book (I can't resist *laugh*) and a couple of mattes and spent less than $70.00 so I am a happy camper :D

I got,

New Gamboge
Winsor Yellow
(Already Had Alizarin Crimson)
Permanent Rose
FUB
Winsor Blue
Winsor Violet
Burnt Umber
Magenta ????? Can't remember the name. Anyway, it just looked like a "fun" color :clap:

They didn't have the Quincridone Gold, nor did they carry the Daniel Smith line who has the Quin Sienna. I will keep my eyes open for those and probably several others down the line.

I can't WAIT to start using them!!! Don't think I paid over 6.95 for a tube and most were $6.09. Can any of the above be mixed for a good grass color? That's going to be the next step on my Church painting :rolleyes:

I've printed out a lot of the colors suggested here that I will try to get next time or couldn't find at the moment. Thanks for the wonderful help friends :D !!

rapolina
05-08-2003, 09:07 AM
I'm happy for you: it' wonderful having a new color set!:) :) :)

about quin gold, i have it but i'm not satisfied, as it's not really transparent as they say... i get a better gold with gamboge and sienna...

anyway, i think you'll buy soon other colors... it's a sort of illness!
:D

ciao, rapolina.

daveshattuck
05-08-2003, 10:50 AM
hi
my pallette is only wn colors i use:

winsor yellow
lemon yellow
aurelion yellow
fub
cobalt blue
aliz crim
scarlett red
permanent rose
raw sienna
burnt sienna
raw umber
burnt umber
sap green
diox purple

will cut out burnt umber, one of the yellows, when gone

dave

Annetta
05-08-2003, 10:58 AM
Hey Rap.....you are soooo right. It "is" an illness, but a good one!! :p :D I'm "ill" when it comes to buying watercolor books too....hehe.

Dave, I have a good start on the ones you listed.

wayfarer
05-08-2003, 11:13 AM
Have to echo the compliments of Daniel Smith. I love their Q. gold. I also use their french ultramarine, cobalt, and cerulean. If you use sap green, theirs is the least "electric-looking." Yes, it's a bit of a hassle to have to order it, but the large tubes make that only occasionally.

I also use Sennelier warm sepia and raw umber. Their raw umber is unlike anyone else's--a lot warmer. I use it constantly for landscapes.

Chris