PDA

View Full Version : An Alpine View

ale.l
05-06-2003, 06:31 AM
Hi, here is one I was doing recently, for quite long. I am very very busy and can hardly cope with the posts. Sorry.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2003/17217-alpe1.JPG

For some reason, I am not very happy with it. It has a 'rough' look, don't know why. Is it the rough paper (Arches) or what - I only know that some of you guys' paintings are smooth and flowing. My mountainsides look crude.

The left side of the painting has a reddish hue.. which is due to camera.. there's none, it's green.

I found grass hard to do...

Apart from my own discontent, what can you spot to criticize? Please go agead, it's not framed yet. (and do tell me how you would do stuff that you don't like ;)

Yorky
05-06-2003, 06:46 AM
Ale - this is fabulous! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I can't find fault with it except perhaps the distant mountains could have a pal mauve wash to take them back a little.

Doug

PS Do you have the reference photo? - I'd love to have a go at this myself.

Doug

ale.l
05-06-2003, 06:50 AM
You think so Yorky? You have experience with this sort of stuff... :) Isn't all this greenery hard to do.

But when I saw Allan's similar paintings... i get discouraged. His scenes are so fluid and natural.. mine looks strained.. that's why I don't think this one is a particular success.

It was "commissioned" by my mother-in-law.. Maybe I should have made it worse, what do you think :) :) :)

Yorky
05-06-2003, 07:43 AM
I do think so!

You captured the clear mountain air very well - I haf expect Julie Andrews to come dancing over the hill :D

So which one is your MIL? :evil: :D Sorry! :angel:

Doug

pampe
05-06-2003, 09:40 AM
Doug is right, ale

this is wonderful...the mountains superior

I think what disturbs you might be that the two halfs are separate

IMHO you need some of the dark blues in the foreground to tie it together

I agree about a mauve wash

and maybe...a little sky on ttop of the mountains...instead of the clouds so close

NONE OF THIS IS MANDATORY....I think it is fine AS IT IS...but if you wanted to do anything...those would be ideas

Pam

Astur
05-06-2003, 10:04 AM
well, your "mistake" is a winner for me... you have a great drawing skills, and incorporate the cowls really well on the landscape...

agree with try soften distant mountanins and sky to improve sense of deep.. perhaps some water can "wash" and soften it....

thanks for share

ale.l
05-06-2003, 10:24 AM
Thank you guys.. you are constructive as always.

... and Yorky, Yorky... for teasing my MIL :evil: :)

A question for Pampe... yes, you spotted well the division between the halves.. how would one go about adding the mountain color to the local color of the foreground? would you add it here and there to make the grass darker... or did you have in mind a whole wash? I don't want to spoil what I have so far.. I must be careful...

For the sky, it's too late... I was deliberately working the clouds as going low onto the mountain tops.. anyway, cant mess with that now.. but WOULD LIKE TO IMPROVE THE BIG FOREFRONT GREEEEEEEN AREA.

pampe
05-06-2003, 10:38 AM
You have some darks already in the grasses....are they blue?

I did not mean a wash...that would be very scary

just some blues into the greens to vary the greens more and tie the top to the bottom

suzpaints
05-06-2003, 12:53 PM
nice painting - I really like the composition and the colors.

wanted to give you a suggestion about something I learned from a great instructor years ago. in landscapes always keep your warm tones in the foreground and cool tones in the distance.

you mentioned you got a red hue from your camera - I would suggest to add some into those mountains that are to be closest to the eye.

I really like your grass and as mentioned would just add a bit of blue(maybe in the shadows of the cows) and a bit of a warm wash right in the foreground.

I'm glad I have painting buddies - they point stuff like this out to me when I'm struggling - sometimes when you are so deep into a painting, it's hard to see what is missing!

Susie.

Nitsa
05-06-2003, 06:43 PM
I like this too and we can't all be wrong now can we? LOL!
There have already been some good suggestions made that could make this a better painting but I also think it passes just fine as it is....I'm sure your MIL will love it!

M.A.
05-06-2003, 06:56 PM
No fault can be found here. Your mountains are fantastic, grass incredible and the cattle, charming! It's a beautiful painting!!!
:clap:

artmom
05-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Ale, nice painting. Lucky MIL!

You've gotten some good advice here--I look forward to seeing your finished painting!:)

Lyn

Little Old Lady
05-06-2003, 08:21 PM
Great painting. Good advice.
JoAnn

CharM
05-06-2003, 08:48 PM
That's the beauty of this forum... lot's of really, really good advice... I'm starting a landscape for one of the projects and it's so good to read all this stuff...

You have a beautiful painting here. Your MIL will be thrilled.

jti
05-06-2003, 11:29 PM
Nice work.. as so many have said - of course, if you're wanting a different look/feel to the piece then... it's not so nice - to you until you get what you're after. In the mean time, take the complements cuz it's a nice piece indeed.

As for softening the mountains - I no mountain man, but I have found it I put in the roughness of mountain rocks on dry, they can be too stiff and blocky, so, at least in some places I treat a rocky section like sky - going wet on wet (just a light sheen of water left on the paper) - dragging the brush along to give me a flowing general shape - then, once that's dry I can make firmer lined shapes representing the rock formations... and here and there wet swipe some of the rocks to soften that too. Finally, go back in and add the dark areas as needed. This has worked for me farily well in my limited mountain work, but perhaps it will be good for you.

Grass is tough, but I think you did yours nicely - the suggestions of tie-in colors are good.

jti