PDA

View Full Version : *~*~ Daily Wash - Tuesday, May 6th 2003 *~*~

mchew
05-06-2003, 04:51 AM
Hello fellow washers,

Great weather today... clear sky.. sunshines and that mean perfect for photography!! I went to the post office to send out paintings to my eBay customers, had lunch and spent the next two hours clicking away... Here are some sample of my snapshots. Enjoy the pics ... sorry if these pics slowed down your browser especially those with dial-up.

I'll post more in the RIL... hope everyone enjoy your day, I certainly did! I'm going to use some of these pics for a painting competition... closing date is 12th June. You're welcome to use them too... PM me if you need larger resolution.

Cheers!

The new Singapore Post Office
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2003/14541-Singpost_Building_2.jpg

Geylang Serai Malay Village
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2003/14541-Geylang_Serai_Malay_Village_4.JPG

Shophouses at Joo Chiat Street
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2003/14541-Joo_Chiat_r.JPG

Corner of Joo Chiat Terrace
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2003/14541-Joo_Chiat_p.JPG

Sharon Douglas
05-06-2003, 05:07 AM
good morning everyone,
firstly let me say thankyou to everyone who wished me luck at the hospital on Friday.
The six needles going into my back and being hooked up to the machine wasn`t too bad at all, but all the poking about that the Dr did put me in agony for the weekend, plus the fact that I started off with my low blood pressure again, which ended up with me passing out on the bathroom floor on Friday night( I don`t remember going to bed that night:rolleyes: ).
Today I`m starting to feel my old self again,but I`m going to take it easy, probably do some painting.
Anyway I hope everyone gets to wet their brushes today.
take care,
Sharon.

M.A.
05-06-2003, 05:27 AM
Marvin - I think your pictures are inspiring. Wow. I think I'd love to visit there someday. Thanks for posting them.

Sharon - I hope you are recuperating ... sounds like a rough go.

AWAYTC - just popped in before i start dashing around to get ready for work ... have a wonderful watercolor day!

:)Mary-Ann

Rod
05-06-2003, 06:11 AM
Hello Everyone :)

Great place you live in Marvin, lovely photos.

Sharon , thoughts are with you, hope you recover quickly :)

Enjoy your work Mary-ann , I've finished mine for today :)

G'nite all,
Rod.

Olga
05-06-2003, 06:12 AM
Hi all,
Marvin--great photos. I love the bright colors. Hope your Mexican mural is coming along fine.

((((Sharon))))--that sounds pretty scary and dangerous... Take it easy and I hope you regain your strength quickly...

It's a working day for me as well...after a long break because of various holidays. My mom is still visiting and it's her birthday today so we are going out for dinner...
Late at night I did manage to paint two more portraits for the portrait exchange, but need to take another critical look and scan before I can upload them. Not sure it's worth it...

I am getting very eager to have mor painting time but that won't come until the weekend.... My sketched out Paris scene has just been sitting untouched for days. :crying:

Have a good and creative time everyone

Olga

Yorky
05-06-2003, 06:44 AM
Morning all!

It's a beautiful day and I am up and about.

((((Sharon)))) Hope you're feeling better soon. I had a friend with low blood pressure - worked with im for 15 years and apart from occasional faints he coped quite well.

I have booked in for a session of Shiatsu this evening - I'm getting desperate - I wouldn't normally think of exotic methods, but the GP doctor has written me off - "take painkillers" is all she can suggest :rolleyes:

Don't feel up to painting at the moment, so the Challenge will have to wait!

Cheers!

Doug

jaytee
05-06-2003, 06:54 AM
Greetings washers all............

Marvin ... great pics
Sharon....hope things improve soon
Rod ... good to see youre washing :D

Wrote a colourful report for wash of our fun day yesterday and wiped it in error :D

Watching challenge I results closely :d Can anyone tell me what time in the UK Tuesday finishes in the US please:D:D:D:D

Visitor to attend to now :D

Meant to say

Doug. ..........my Dr once told me that what GPS know about backs could be written on a postage stamop:D Ive always used chiropracters, Remedial Masseurs etc ( trained as the latter myself years ago) if theyre properly qualified and experioenced and suit you you cant beat them.............. good luck

Strawberry Wine
05-06-2003, 07:41 AM
Good Day All

It rained all last evening and night and when I took the labs out this morning everything is so so green. The leaves on some of the early trees are starting to bud out and the wild honeysuckle has tunred green overnight.

(((( Sharon)))) Hugs to you, take it easy and you will be your old self again soon.

Marvin, Great photos. Take all the space you want and display your photos any day.

Have a good night Rod.

Doug, I have been using massage therapy for a chronic shoulder problem for some time now and I have found along with a chiropractor occasionally works great. Enjoy the massage, you will feel wonderful

Mary Ann and Olga: Have a great day

AWAYTC. Hope your day is a good one.

Gail

Strawberry Wine
05-06-2003, 07:45 AM
Me again.
Jaytee we must have crossed posted. Here in Ontario ( in standard time) you are 5 hours ahead of us so our midnight is your 5 am In the west you will be 8 hours ahead and in the east 3 hours ahead. I think that is about right.

Gail

Gisele
05-06-2003, 07:47 AM
Hi everyone! Yesterday after supper we had thousands and thousands of snow geese flying low over our house; so low the flapping of their wings and their cries were deafening. Amazing experience!

Today expecting rain all day I might just get tempted to start on the challenge 2 project...:D

Gisele:)

ScarletLake
05-06-2003, 08:04 AM
Hi everyone

It's 8 am here in Ohio. Looks like a good day ahead.

Will take the opportunity to work on resume today & get ready to sign up with office work agency.

Will be looking at son's college web site to see a calendar of whats up for us in the next few months.

Will got to art group tomorrow.

To everyone have a good day. To those who are ill hope better days ahead for you.

Anita

Uschi
05-06-2003, 08:33 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!!
I don't know how many thunderstorms passed through here last evening and night, but it was one after another and the rain was literally coming down in buckets. No complaints, we need the rain!

Just read yesterday's wash and had to comment on Noreen's beautiful poppy photo. Now I know why they are called California poppies and why last summer they did not grow (at all) in my well fertilized soil HA!

Sharon, very, very, very best wishes to you!!!! Too bad we can't do a bit of exchanging, could do with a bit of that lower blood pressure to balance mine that seems to be going up.

Marvin, beautiful photos!!!!

Doug, hope you hit on something that works!!!!

Giselle, what an experience, I have canada geese flying over the house constantly and absolutely love it, but not en mass, so it must have been fantastic.

Lyn, re tornados, hope none got there, saw pictures last night on TV, such devastation, so awful!!!!

Wishing all of you good health and a wonderful day!!!
Uschi

madmum
05-06-2003, 08:42 AM
Just popping in to say I might be absent for a little while, until I can sort out my computer. Virus scan just discovered a nasty called downloader.Aphex. After a search online I tried to do as advised to remove it, with no success. Looking like I might have to reformat for the umpteenth time :mad:

Later, hopefully!

Ruth

babybrush
05-06-2003, 08:51 AM
good luck Ruth. coputer problems are the pits.

nothing big happening this week really that i know of. i do have another art lesson to teach next Saturday to a friend's kids. also my sisters have been beging for another watercolor lesson.

i'm currently working on a painting for the latest Challenge, and even though i don't relish the banter all that much, i am going to keep everyone in suspense until i am finished. i think the ladies are going to like this one.

see you all around the board/

Bethany

CharM
05-06-2003, 09:02 AM
Good morning from Dallas Washuns... There's a storm front moving into this area today, but nothing severe... It looks like tornadoes are the pattern of the day for Arkansas and Tennessee again... Lyn, thinking of you...

TMR

Sharon... sending as many good vibes as possible... Hope you feel better today...

Marvin... nice pics...

Doug... please try a chiropractor... The only thing that GP's will ever be good for is writing scripts for painkillers...

AWAYTC

Have a great day everyone!

Phillip
05-06-2003, 09:22 AM
Hello all.
Good morning.
& good night, It is almost midnight here. going to bed.

bye.

pampe
05-06-2003, 09:34 AM
morning, all

Great pictures, Marvin

Doug.....doctors only know DIS-EASE....go to HEALERS...if the shiatsu doesn't do it try acupuncture and chiropractic....bvelieve me on this one....your nervous system connections are better understood in Non-traditional medicine.....

ALL DAY STUDIO DAY! *clapping and dancing*

Char...what are you doing in Dallas?

Have a great day!!! Hope to post something new by this afternoon. Getting discouraged....selling has been really slow.....in the last 3 weeks...

Pam

karenjh
05-06-2003, 10:18 AM
Good morning all,

Doug, my sister has some nasty back problems that come and go. She swears by acupucture. keep trying different things til you find the one that works for you.

I am going to class tonight and am going to work out the details of a workshop that I am going to give my mom for Mother's Day for the two of us. Last year one of my art teacher's did a plein aire workshop for my mom and I and it was one of the best days I have ever had with my mom. We had so much fun (she is a great artist).

Have a wonderful day everyone - it is beautiful and sunny here and finally about 70 degrees! Going to take some pictures at lunch time.

lyn lynch
05-06-2003, 10:40 AM
Hello, Marvin. Thank you for warning about dial-ups; I am longing to see photos but for this reason wait until they are in RIL. Good luck on competitions.

{Sharon}. 'Tis true, often invasive procedures bring more pain than that which is being investigated. This, too, shall pass. Looking upward for comfort for you...

Yup, auntie firm believer in eastern cures, and acupuncture in particular.

Morning all!!! Beautiful day here in SW US of A, we are happy to be alive. I wrote in yesterday's wash about visit w/Emily and sister Carole. Here is reference of Em enjoing Phoenix sunshine:

Emily [Mustcreate]
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2003/16729-Emily-3a.jpg

I have lab appointment this morning, car wash, and his nibbiness to doggie park. Maybe I put that laundry away today. :D Otherwise I paint.

Yesterday I received my Marvin Chew original "Shophouses along Sophia Road, Singapore". In all sincerity, and you know Auntie is straight-up guy, this is an amazing work. I am incredulous about the detail he gets and appearance is of having created w/a brush of just 2 hairs. Very finely rendered. Exquisite work. Work is beautiful beyond what I can tell you--far, far different than styles produced in America for sure. Highly recommend Marvin's work. Impossible to judge based on internet. On Marvin's tombstone it say "Marvin Chew--born with paintbrush in hand".

Christie
05-06-2003, 11:00 AM
Morning all:

Em had better be down with Auntie for a bit because our high temperature today is 32 F (0 C) and coming home to that would be a shock after Arizona. :)

I walked the puppy down to the school bus with the kids and she rode home inside my jacket! I think that the wind made it feel colder. Well that and the additional snow that fell last night. :D

Today I have 1.5 hour scheduled for painting, so that starts right after this gets sent off.

Sharon and Doug, I hope you both start to feel better soon. Doug, did you not even get given a prescription for anti inflamatories?! I figure if the GP was writing one for painkillers, it would have taken alot of effort to write one more...

Okay, I am off to paint. Puppy is warming up on my lap right now, but fortunately, she make a good support for my paint box. :D

Take care,

Christie

pampe
05-06-2003, 11:32 AM
when fooks compliments....all the world listens

*nodding*

nice pic of little sister, too, Auntie

madmum
05-06-2003, 11:53 AM
:crying:

Exhausted all known ways of removing nasty trojan virus, now getting close to dreaded re-format of disk :mad: Any computer whizzes there who can help???

pampe
05-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Ruth..have you tried the Norton or McAfee sites...they usually give specific directions for removing and what to do next

Yorky
05-06-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by madmum
:crying:

Exhausted all known ways of removing nasty trojan virus, now getting close to dreaded re-format of disk :mad: Any computer whizzes there who can help???

Or try Microsoft Support site for new virus details.

Doug

madmum
05-06-2003, 12:03 PM
Pam yes, first port of call, tried to follow instructions but I can't get into regedit (first step). Seems the nasty has disabled all the ways to get rid of it. Guess I've reformatted before, can do it again. Have all important files (paintings/photographs) backed up on re-writable disc. Looks like tomorrow I'm going to be busy :(

Ruth

Rich Williams
05-06-2003, 12:40 PM
Morning all and to those who live in warm climates enjoy. It is cold and snowing here, hard to believe that I will be putting out the flowers in less than 3 weeks. But when you live this far north and this close to the mountains the weather here changes very fast.

Will be painting again to day and spending my time in the studio rather than painting outdoors.

Marvin great photos...

Rich

andylavallee
05-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Hi All , hard day today most of it best not repeated.. Ruth have you tried this one...http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall it sorted one I had . good luck

vestalqueen
05-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Hi, gang! I note that artmom Lyn hasn't signed in yet for today. I live a bit northeast of her (35 miles or so). We've been deluged with rain - 3 inches yesterday by 10:00 p.m. Areas of Maryville had a power outage, so let's hope Lyn made it okay. We haven't had any tornadoes or downbursts, just lots of rain and lightning. The biggest threat here now is flooding.

I've really been enjoying the project activity! Gee, there's some talent here!

Fookie, I wish I were in the sun with Em there.

Erin

Little Old Lady
05-06-2003, 01:44 PM
TMR, I was running late this morning and didn't get a chance till now. It's almost 1 o'clock. Did a little painting this morning with gorup (2 of us showed up).
Got a great book uyesterday."The figure in Watercolor' by Mel Stabin. He has a great loose style.
JoAnn

sweetbabydill
05-06-2003, 01:53 PM
Hi everyone-
Hope all are doing fine.
Doug- I have back problems and have started using a Tens Unit(not sure of spelling).
It is electrical stimulation applied to pain site. It is a portable unit that can be used at home.
Afterwards it has an analgesic effect. Hope you feel better.

Sharon- I hope you start feeling better soon.

Marvin- Great pictures and good luck in your competition.

Ruth- I sure don't envy you with the computer problems.
It reminded me to run a scan of my own.
As far as getting rid of viruses.
I use those free down loadable programs.
Which is probably not great, but so far so good.

Speaking of tornados, this is a bad season so far.
My sister lives in Alabama and they are under a tornado warning as we speak.
They just had a earthquake last week.
They don't normally get earthquakes, but this one registered a 4.9.
I will be contacting sis tonight to check on everyone.
I am hoping to move down there myself later this summer,
but I want to have a home with a storm cellar or basement, since that area is prone to Tornados.
My heart is with all those who have suffered losses during recent storms.

Take care all,
Carolyn

pampe
05-06-2003, 05:29 PM
well

*hands on massive hips*

I can tell you I had a bad couple hours without you all

:mad:

M.A.
05-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by pampe
well

*hands on massive hips*

I can tell you I had a bad couple hours without you all

:mad:

me too

madmum
05-06-2003, 05:36 PM
Still fighting virus, but will worry about it tomorrow :D

I was really panicking when I saw WC was down - thought my virus had spread!!!! Glad it's back and it was caused by tornado near server.

Going to see what I missed while putting girls new bunk beds up and trying to remove nasty from machine! (Andy, tried that one too, just found second nasty to worry about :( )

Hugs

Ruth

indigobluetwo
05-06-2003, 05:36 PM
It's back.

Yeah!!!!!!!!

Kristy

lyn lynch
05-06-2003, 05:51 PM
Pamps, [*hands on ever enlarging more massive hips*] you supposed to be painting, anyway! :mad:

Forgot to say friend MChew wrapped painting in a sheet of rice paper [heart smilie here]. I want to try this sheet, and haven't made it to the art store. I'm chuffed!

Ruth, get a MAC. Could have been downloaded w/that BBC site to check IQ [snort]. I brought it up and saw needed download and X'd out--I don't fool with that stuff. BTW, I run firewall which I got from Norton. So sorry, I had to rebuild when I had a PC, too, but just ran First Aid diskette and then reloaded original software so only big deal was losing files not backed up.

JoAnne, book sounds great. I'd like a reference book on loose portrait style but haven't found one yet.

I said I purchased (2) 12 x 16 blocks of Canson Watercolor/rough grain. I worked two paintings on it so far and I report this poopy paper, imo. Paint lifts way too easily on some and grabs on others [non-stainers]. I like the bit of rough grain, which is similar to that used by Marvin, but overall thumbs-down. I bring unopened pad back. I stop at Michael's where special running on Arches--(1) 9 x 12 pad w/free 9 x 12 block in 140#. So I be big pig and get two sets. :D

Yorky
05-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by madmum
Pam yes, first port of call, tried to follow instructions but I can't get into regedit (first step). Seems the nasty has disabled all the ways to get rid of it. Guess I've reformatted before, can do it again. Have all important files (paintings/photographs) backed up on re-writable disc. Looks like tomorrow I'm going to be busy :(

Ruth

Hi Ruth

My son says you can run regedit direct from the Windows CD if I understand him right.

Doug.

Uschi
05-06-2003, 06:17 PM
Well I missed the "down", painted a bit, then had company, then startyed cutting down the roses. These are hardy canadian climbers and every one of them is dead except right above the root where I had it covered. This doesn't normally happen but we had such a cold winter. Each bush has about 10 canes and each cane is about 8 feet long with other ones coming off it. Well, this rose is advertised to grow 8 feet long, that's why I baught it, maybe not such a great idea.

Ruth, in my opinion you have an IQ of 250 if you can figure out how to rid the computer of a virus and then put everything back together again. I am like fookie, very reluctant to download anything. Thank God my son knows how to fix these things although I am sure I get on his nerves when I call him when the sligthest thing isn't working. His standard answer "have you tried restarting it??", well I always forget about that part, IQ 80 HA!

I too am worried about Lyn - Artmom, hope she is O.K.

My painting skills right now stink!!!! Don't like anything I am producing.

Great photo of em fookie!!!!
Uschi

Nandie
05-06-2003, 06:38 PM
Pamps, you can sure tell who's addicted to WC every time the server goes down.... we all panic!!! LOL!!! I actually had to go spend some time outside in the sunshine instead of being online!!!

Originally posted by fookie
I said I purchased (2) 12 x 16 blocks of Canson Watercolor/rough grain. I worked two paintings on it so far and I report this poopy paper, imo. Paint lifts way too easily on some and grabs on others [non-stainers]. I like the bit of rough grain, which is similar to that used by Marvin, but overall thumbs-down. I bring unopened pad back. I stop at Michael's where special running on Arches--(1) 9 x 12 pad w/free 9 x 12 block in 140#. So I be big pig and get two sets. :D

Auntie, I have a big pad of Canson paper (15"x20") that my mother bought me for a gift and after using a few sheets I've decided I really don't like the stuff either for the same reasons you mentioned. Plus when you wet & stretch it, it pulls away from the staples and warps anyway:mad: I much prefer Arches or my new Strathmore 140# CP block that I'm using now! I wish I knew what to do with the rest of my Canson paper!!

Anyway, back to painting!:D

pampe
05-06-2003, 06:43 PM
use it for pastels

sisangel
05-06-2003, 06:57 PM
It's back! Thank goodness.

Very bad day today. Went to the doctor's and got some real bad news from my pancreas biopsy. My head is still spinning. I asked the doctor if I'm going to live and he says "we'll see". Oh well.

So then I go to Michael's. I bought some Arches paper, with sale and coupon 2 pads of 9x12 cost me $8.00. Will be a big improvement over the Canson's I've been using. Also got a nice round #8 brush, a Grumbacher golden edge. I really like it. I was using a brand x that came with cheap paint set. And to top it off some W&N french ultramarine and new gamboge. Will add tubes of W&N artist's a bit at a time. I'm working on Rod's mountainscape lesson and the new brush really helps.

Then I get home and go to computer and find out wet canvas was down. I was really in a panic.

Hope everyone is safe and healthy. Thanks for letting me vent.

Thank you for pictures Marvin, they are great and I do plan on using them.

Bonnie

artmom
05-06-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by sisangel
It's back! Thank goodness.

Very bad day today. Went to the doctor's and got some real bad news from my pancreas biopsy. My head is still spinning. I asked the doctor if I'm going to live and he says "we'll see". Oh well.

Then I get home and go to computer and find out wet canvas was down. I was really in a panic.

Hope everyone is safe and healthy. Thanks for letting me vent.

Bonnie

Bonnie, I'm so sorry to hear your bad news. (((((Bonnie))))). May I add you to my prayers?

I was going to moan about my bad day, but your news has put it in perspective.

TMR and AWAYTC.

Uschi and Erin, TY for being concerned about me. I'm fine.

I posted the finished painting of Allanah and Gary's hands. I have offered it to Andy LaVallee (Grandpa) and he has accepted it for Allanah's Baby Box. Please take a look and comment--
at :) Finished Work.

Lyn

Christie
05-06-2003, 07:23 PM
I worked while WC! was down. :D Now it's up, there will be nothing done but catching up on the site. :D

sweetbabydill
05-06-2003, 07:24 PM
Bonnie-
I'll be hoping the best for you. I will keep you in my prayers also.
Carolyn

Nandie
05-06-2003, 07:42 PM
((((Bonnie))))

So sorry to hear your bad news.... please keep us posted on how you're doing!

ScarletLake
05-06-2003, 07:49 PM
Hi all

Tennessee Lyn - glad to see you're ok. We were all wondering about our southern friends.

Bonnie - I'm so sorry that you got bad news re your biopsy. Feel free to talk to us any time. Will be thinking of you tonight.

Fookie- Thanks for the tip about Michaels having a sale. I may just have to get to one for some supplies.

Painted alittle the past few days. Just don't feel it in my heart right now.

Well off to supper for me. Will have to watch American Idol tonight.

Anita

Little Old Lady
05-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Gee whiz. I was doing other things and didn't realize the site was down.
Best wishes Bonnie!
Fookie I have several loose figure books will get the titles up later. Did you check out my portrait of you?
JoAnn

Christie
05-06-2003, 08:13 PM
Bonnie, I truly hope everything comes out alright for you. Please let us know how you are doing and remember that we are here if you need to talk. :)

CharM
05-06-2003, 08:26 PM
Good evening to all...

Bonnie... you vent to your heart's content... We'll always listen...

Lyn... The site was down... I was worried about you... I'm so glad you posted something!!!

Pam... I re-engineer business processes and design and develop computer applications to improve performance... I'm in Dallas working at one of my company's manufacturing plants presenting the flow charts I mapped of several departments' current activities... Tomorrow, I'll present my recommendations, the improvements required and a rolled up cost... This is work that puts everyone else in the world to sleep... It's meticulous and seems to fit my warped :evil: personality...

It's hot here in Dallas and we're expecting severe weather again. Some of the outlying towns got hail last night that damaged vehicles and broke windows... Not as bad as it could have been... There are tornado watches Northeast of Dallas tonight...

I was talking with some of our folks in our Escobedo, Mexico plant this afternoon... It was over 100 F, there this afternoon... I don't have to go down there for a couple of weeks, so I hope the heat breaks a little... There are quite a few crop fires burning and the smoke is causing a terrible haze this side of the border...

Ruth... and all... Trendmicro is the best antivirus software you can purchase... Both McAffee and Norton get their patterns from Trendmicro... Usually one or two days after the newest pattern has been released... Always update your virus software on a regular basis, i.e. no less than once a week... Better yet, you can periodically do a free "housecall" at Trendmicro to determine whether or not your computer is virus free... Loading virus software on an infected computer is rather like closing the barn door after the horse bolted... Good luck...

p.s. some of the newest trojans cannot be cleaned... The infected files must be deleted and replaced... DO NOT shut down your computer until you've spoken with a tech!!! You may be able to recover without having to totally reformat your hard drive. The trojan normally initializes upon reboot...

I'm off to see what everyone's been doing today...

Rich Williams
05-06-2003, 08:47 PM
Bonnie having been with someone who received similar news I understand where your head is and how it must be spinning, with the what ifs and will this happen etc. Take a deep breath slow down and let the news settle for a while, then talk to your doctor and to whomever you confide in and talk about your fears. The unknown is what we all fear, and the more we learn about what is going on the more at ease we become with it. It takes time and internal strength to deal with this, if you need someone to talk to let me know and I will try and answer your questions.

Rich

pampe
05-06-2003, 10:02 PM
*wow..that char sure is a good puter nerd to have around*