PDA

View Full Version : More mushrooms

mhimeswc
05-06-2003, 12:19 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2003/20035-MyMushrooms.jpg

Here is a painting of my own still life of mushrooms, using the techniques in Jackie Simmonds' book. I will identify the objects for you in case this is so bad that you can't tell. One off white ceramic bowl, holding an onion, a baking potato, and 2 mushrooms, with 3 mushrooms on the table. I couldn't get the potato to look like anything, and I kept losing the edges of all the objects. Maybe I am working too small. This is about 9 x 12. Critiques needed - I need all the help I can get.

Michelle

angecald
05-06-2003, 12:26 AM
Hi, Michelle, I don't think my critique will be very useful because I think this painting is gorgeous! It reminds me of a Chardin still life - such subtle colour and quiet light. Very nice composition.

When you pointed it out, I did notice the potato is hard to read (I was too busy admiring the mushrooms to catch it myself) and also that the bowl is a bit wonky, but you can easily fix that. Just study it some more and adjust the shadows and highlights. I'm sure Jackie's going to be very proud of you.

Artaholic
05-06-2003, 12:55 AM
You are doing a good job with what I imagine is a difficult subject.

Gerry

jackiesimmonds
05-06-2003, 02:48 AM
Yep, I am proud of you!

The problem with the potato is quite simple. It is to do with its positioning, not your painting. It is actually quite hard to see it clearly, it is hidden in the bowl.

Have another look at your still life. See what would have happened if you had put the potato at a different angle; or even put in out of the bowl on the table. Up against the bowl, the darkness of the potato would have been more apparent against the lightness of the bowl.
As it is, the top curve of the potato colides with the back curve of the bowl.

When you want to emphasise an edge somewhere, it is quite useful to think about light against dark, or vice versa. When tones are similar, it is hard to pull out edges.

Well done!

Jackie

meowmeow
05-06-2003, 12:45 PM
I think you did a super job...the mushrooms are wonderful!

Sandy

bnoonan
05-07-2003, 12:29 PM
Nice job Michelle. This is great and I'm very impressed to see how much you've taken to this site and really given all these exercises a go. You'll be amazed at how fast you will grow and improve with all this great support and talent surrounding you.

Beautiful!!! Barb