PDA

View Full Version : First Commission-EEEEKK!!!

Annetta
05-05-2003, 06:36 PM
A gal at work, who has a daughter starting Saint Joseph College in the fall, gave me a postcard of the Campus Church and asked me to paint it as a "graduation from High School" gift. OMG, the details!! :eek: I told her I would "try", not having done anything this difficult/detailed before, so that sort of leaves me an out.

Anyway, this is how much I've done so far. What do you think? I'm using the postcard for color reference, but am working from an older photo off the internet...well quite a bit older as the front doesn't show any mature landscaping, so I'm not putting any in this one other than a hint of some low growing greenery in front (maybe). I'm not good with grass either, but we can get to that later.

Do the windows on the sunny side have too much white left in them for reflection? Anything else you see that might need some attention? Since this is quite a challenge for me, I'm doing this in 'sections', going really slow and taking little steps at a time.

8x10, 300 cp Aquarelle.....Loving this paper!!!! Mostly Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna so far, with .05 Rapidograph technical pen/black ink for the itsy bitsy details.

Reference. Postcards don't scan well :rolleyes:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2003/16337-Church_Reference.JPG

Painting. Scan looked great but darkened after I posted here
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2003/16337-Church.JPG

babybrush
05-05-2003, 06:45 PM
wow! this is going ot be amazing!! i really love it. you are doing a smashing job.

Bethany

lyn lynch
05-05-2003, 06:52 PM
If your intent is to glaze this project, pay close attention to your palette as the liklihood of mud is prevelent when starting w/such a low key color. I assume this is a earth tone.

Sketching looks good to me. Sally forth, dearheart.

mhimeswc
05-05-2003, 06:52 PM
You are doing a great job on a really complicated subject. I think it will be a wonderful graduation gift for the young lady. Please post it again when it is complete.

Michelle

Nitsa
05-05-2003, 06:58 PM
BLIMEY!
After reading all the negative vibes you typed in your post I was sooo shocked at your WIP......YOU CAN DO THIS EASY!!!!!
It is looking excellent. :D

*I LOVE aquarelle paper too, infact it's the best I've used so far but I have only tried 90lb arches...Dying to play with 140lb.

pampe
05-05-2003, 07:02 PM
gonna be GREAT!

ripvanblair
05-05-2003, 07:14 PM
Only one word applies sensational!! , all this detail, brilliant, this is going to be great-----------well done-------------Alan

Starsprite
05-05-2003, 07:57 PM
Wow..your friend from work sure doesn't ask for much does she?? :rolleyes: Looks like a very difficult painting and you are doing fantabulously!!!!! This is coming along very nicely Annetta!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sandy1
05-05-2003, 08:04 PM
Wow and Wow again. Fabulous job. Can't wait to see it finished.
Sandy

Laura Tasheiko
05-05-2003, 08:17 PM
Very nice job on this! Looking forward to seeing the finished piece. L

Little Old Lady
05-05-2003, 08:22 PM
You have a wonderful start. YOU CAN DO IT!
JoAnn

Annetta
05-05-2003, 09:01 PM
Thank you Bethany for looking and the encouragement! :D

Fookie *blush*, I'm not sure what you mean (terminology)...ummm...I just sort of 'paint' and hope for a good outcome. However, I DO know what "MUD" is...lol

Thank you Michelle. Yep, complicated it tis!! :p

Anita, ya made me laugh out loud. My coworkers and I have comical debates about them saying I'm "negative"....however, I counter with I'm a "realist"...Do I think I can finish this and it turn out okay? Being I'm so new to all this, a 'realist' (me) would answer maybe....hopefully....possibly...Also, the "working window" time for this 300lb cp is just amazing!! Also, thanks for the kind/encouraging words!! :D

Thanks for looking Pamps. Ya know, I will be consulting you regarding 'darks' later on....too much or lack thereof :evil: :P

Thank you Alan. Your comments are always welcome...good or bad. You would never steer me wrong :cat:

Star, that's exactly what I thought when she showed me the postcard. Holy Moly!!! Could she had picked anything more difficult? But I thought, what the heck. I'll give it a whirl :D

Thank you Sandy and Laura for looking and commenting. You're not the only ones who would like to see this 'finished'....LOL

....and JoAnn, you didn't mention one single 'perspective' as being off :cat: For that matter, no one else noted any changes, etc. So, to coin a phrase from Fookie, I'm going to "SALLY FORTH" :D

.......will post later with further updates.....Thanks Friends!!!

hopefulbucky
05-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Absolutely beautiful work so far. Looks like you will be getting lots more commissions. This is realy great.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

CharM
05-05-2003, 09:21 PM
I can honestly say that I didn't know what to expect while waiting for the pics to build... WHAT A SURPRISE!!! This is coming along famously!!! Good job! You are a good friend...

artmom
05-05-2003, 09:57 PM
Nice!

Lyn

mccab42
05-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Great work so far!!! Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Your friend is fortunate to have such a good and talented friend!

Skip

al22
05-06-2003, 12:30 AM
Looking very nice................
......al

madmum
05-06-2003, 02:40 AM
Only 8x10??? With all that detail I was convinced it was at least 1/4 sheet!!!!! Looking wonderful so far, perspective perfect, did you draw freehand? If so :clap:

Only thing I'd like is some more variation in the building colours, I see much warmer shades (raw sienna, touch of magenta) in the stone/brick. :)

Ruth

Gisele
05-06-2003, 08:08 AM
Annetta, this is excellent!

Gisele:)

Crystal Owl
05-06-2003, 08:27 AM
It's looking fantastic!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Irene

Uschi
05-06-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Nitsa
BLIMEY!
After reading all the negative vibes you typed in your post I was sooo shocked at your WIP......YOU CAN DO THIS EASY!!!!!
It is looking excellent. :D

Yup, I agree!!!
Uschi

Annetta
05-06-2003, 08:55 AM
...I'm not negative....I'm a "realist"!!....LOL You got to understand I've been doing this less than a year. My confidence increases the more I do....and with all the wonderful help here!! :D

Hopeful, Char and Lyn, thanks for the kind words and cheering me on from the sidelines. Hopeful, whether I get more commissions remains to be seen...I kind of hope and yet, not :cat: I think there's a big difference between someone buying a painting already done and someone wanting a 'specific' subject done as a painting. The latter makes me nervous for some reason :p

Skip and Al, thanks for looking and commenting. :)

Ruth, thank you. I traced the outline of the Church and then freehanded the interior details, coz I need the practice! :p I don't know about adding the colors you mention at this time. However, I'm thinking about doing another one of these just for fun/practice. So far it's been a wonderful learning experience.

Thank you Giselle and Irene for the kind words. :)

Uschi, I repeat,,,,I'm not negative....just a very realistic person...LOL....arrrggghhh....how come I can't get anyone to see the difference!!!... :p :p :p Regardless, I appreciate the support and cheerleading going on.

I filled in the rest of the front last night and removed the masking fluid. It was late so will scan and post an updated pic when I get home from work today. I think I might have gotten the center and far front sections too dark. But I'll let you who are knowledgeable in *darks* :evil: and colors be the judge. If it is too dark, I just hope I can somehow lighten it.

....stay tuned :D

Darren
05-06-2003, 11:08 AM
I think it looks great so far and though it was already mentioned, I'm amazed it's not bigger than 8x10. Can't wait to see the update.

darren

suzpaints
05-06-2003, 12:25 PM
you're doing a wonderful job!:clap:

the sky is amazing too!

Susie.

Annetta
05-06-2003, 06:12 PM
Thank you Darren and Suzy for looking :) Yes, it's just 8x10 8.5x11 is the largest my scanner will handle.

Susie, that's one of the reasons I love 300lb cp. You get it wet, then just swipe at random areas with a brush loaded with ultramine blue, and the water/paper does the rest :D

Here is an updated pic with the front painted and most of the masking removed, but nothing done yet to the white areas. Is the front too dark? (It did scan a little darker than the original :rolleyes: I was trying to convey a sun at about 3:00 as far as light and shadows. If it is too dark, how do I back some of it off, or is that possible?

I showed Sue the first posted pic this morning. She thought it was awesome, but want to make sure she still feels that way when it's finished and I present it to her.

Let me know what you think. Will wait on some feed back before proceeding further. Thanks friends :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2003/16337-Church_Update.JPG

gealflings
05-06-2003, 06:49 PM
this is really looking incredible. Personally, I think the front is just dark enough.. :) I love those towers!!

Alan Cross
05-06-2003, 08:05 PM
Good job Annetta its coming along great!
Alan :)

Annetta
05-06-2003, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the input Sarah!! When I first read your post I thought you said "flowers" instead of "towers". I'm freakin thinking I didn't paint any flowers!!.....LOL Funny thing.....since I have an appointment tomorrow with the Optometrist :p Anyway, glad you don't think it's too dark. :D

Strawberry Wine
05-06-2003, 09:34 PM
Annetta: This is coming along nicely , wonderfully, in fact.

Ruth wrote
Only thing I'd like is some more variation in the building colours, I see much warmer shades (raw sienna, touch of magenta) in the stone/brick.

I know that you are early on in the painting but I think Ruth's advice will add warmth and bring the building to life.

Watching and waiting.

Gail

nailbender
05-06-2003, 09:46 PM
Congratulations on your first commission :clap:

I think you are doing a really good job on this. This should be a much appraciated graduation gift.
To this point, I think this is your best work. Bob

Annetta
05-06-2003, 10:04 PM
Thanks Alan. Must be okay, you didn't say otherwise! :D

Thank you Gail. The actual Church consists of uniform brick, red in color. I've already sort of deviated from that by using burnt and raw sienna. Since it's a commission, should it look as close as possible to the actual photo? I just 'assumed' that when someone gave you a photo, they expect the painting to be close to the reference photo? Just asking as this is all new to me and I truly don't know.

If I should decide to add those colors mentioned by Ruth would that be done with a dry brush, wet in wet, etc.?? Also, should I attempt to add the illusion of actual tiny 'brick's here and there? Due to the distance of the subject, I don't know if that's necessary and might be a distraction?? :confused:

Hey Bob, where ya been!! Good to see you again. :) Thank you for peeking. I think you may be right about this being my best so far. We'll see once it's done :cat: You been painting?

Bill J
05-06-2003, 10:23 PM
Excellent start on a dificult project
bill

yar
05-06-2003, 10:35 PM
I think there's a big difference between someone buying a painting already done and someone wanting a 'specific' subject done as a painting. The latter makes me nervous for some reason
I totally relate to how you are feeling but you have nothing to worry about this painting is wonderful.

Phillip
05-07-2003, 09:04 AM
excelent, you have done a great job on this painting.

Like very much.

PMurphy42
05-07-2003, 10:56 AM
your painting is beautiful......

patti