PDA

View Full Version : OP sketchbook page

Sueb
05-05-2003, 06:29 PM
Here's a page from little paper testing sketchbook. Oil Pastel(Caran d'ache) on brown Mi Tientes paper. Very small, approx size 4 1/2 inches by 6 inches. Didn't try to cover the whole paper like I usually do with a toothy paper. Kind of like the little brown holes showing through. Would use this colored paper again.

Sue

sundiver
05-05-2003, 08:07 PM
Lovely little landscape. I like the paper color showing through- didn't think I would with o.p. Any special reason you picked the Caran D'Aches to do this one?
Do you have Sennelliers? If so, how do they compare with Caran D'Aches and Holbeins?

artbabe21
05-05-2003, 08:09 PM
Sue, this is a lovely scene and am learning so much about the different papers and ways people use their pastels...thanks!

Artaholic
05-06-2003, 01:28 AM
Great landscape, I like your lovely use of colors!!

Gerry

E-J
05-06-2003, 02:51 AM
Very pretty, Sue ~ I like the pinks and purples you've used.

jackiesimmonds
05-06-2003, 03:02 AM
VERY NICE! Super use of colour, excellent tone values. Really smashing little landscape.

Sundiver - I don't know Holbeins, but I can tell you that Sennelier op's are REALLY sticky. They glide onto the paper really well, first off, but then when you try to put colour onto colour, the undercolour picks up and smears into the colour you place over the top, and also any light op picks up bits from darker tones and the next time you go to use it, you have a multi-coloured pastel!

Caran D'Ache are much drier in consistency and can be built up more easily, in my opinion. Painting with a sennelier op is like pai8nting with a lipstick!

Sueb
05-06-2003, 08:42 AM
Thank you everyone for your nice comments.

Sundiver, The reason I chose the Caran d'Ache for this one is that I felt it would be easiest to work with on this paper. They are especially good for people who are heavy handed like myself. I like to layer colors and I'm finding blending doesn't really fit my style. I have Sennelier's but I really don't like them. As Jackie said, they are very sticky and for a heavy handed painter kind of smeary. I only use them for finishing if I want a big dash of color. They do have some nice colors though. Maybe I will find a place for them in my work as I gain more experience but for now the Caran d'ache and Holbein's are my favorites.

Jackie, You can see I am taking your advice and trying some smaller "thumb nails".

Sue

Dima
05-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Wonderful sketch, Sue, and the papercolour works very well.

Dick

Smudger
05-08-2003, 09:59 AM
very nice indeed:clap: love the colours

meowmeow
05-08-2003, 12:27 PM
What a wonderful little "sketch"....very well done!

Sandy

Kathryn Wilson
05-08-2003, 02:17 PM
You are tempting me to try out OP's - good going, love the color and the looseness.

:cat:

flower
05-08-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by kyle
You are tempting me to try out OP's - good going, love the color and the looseness.

:cat:

Hey Sue,

What a lovely scene, i tried op today with a flower but it was so hot seemed everything was melting in my hands, still keep trying but this is really nice, i tried on oil/acryl paper and found it to be easier to use if it hadnīt been so hot LOL, did you blend with fingers or with turpentine?

Kathryn Wilson
05-08-2003, 03:16 PM
A really neat trick out of Elliott's book is to place your OP's in a cooler and they won't get sticky or melt.

flower
05-08-2003, 03:21 PM
Hi Kyle,

Ty for the tip donīt know why i didnīt think about it let you know how it went after tomorrow, hopefully its still as warm LOL

doe
05-09-2003, 08:07 AM
Lovely little landscape, Sue! Great colors especially and I like the paper specks showing through too.

Sueb
05-09-2003, 08:52 AM
You guys offer so much encouragement! Thank you for your votes of confidence. I promise those of you who have not tried the oil pastels that when you do you will be hooked. It's exciting to me to see so many giving them a trail. The versatility and portability makes them adaptable to many styles. As you can see in these threads, we OP artists all have different styles. I just love seeing what others are doing with theirs. Good tip, Kyle, about keeping them cool and for those of you that take them out doors, a glove to protect your hands is a good idea.

Flower...I don't do any blending except what occurs with the sticks when I overlay another color. I have been experimenting with dipping my sticks in turpentine, but not for this sketch. The iris I did in another thread used that method. I kind of like the painterly effect achieved that way.

Thanks again for all of you comments. Still trying out different methods and paper and would live to see you guys try them out too.

Sue

Dyin
05-09-2003, 06:08 PM
Nice little landscape...love the color theme...did you do the sky and then draw over it or just fill in around the trees? I'm ordering both Sennelier and Caran D'Ache but I'm more of a blender type and hope they'll work for my style...thanks for sharing the tips...