PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lake - watercolor & ink - WIP

artdude
05-05-2003, 04:58 PM
I had started this one quite a while ago and decided to dig it out and maybe work on it more. I have more inking to do but not sure if I need to do more with the watercolor? Original size is about 14" X 10" on 140 lb Canson cold press watercolor paper. Any and all comments WELCOME!! :D:)

PS: Remember my color-blindness :) Did I do ok with the colors? I was just guessing which colors to use :D:D:D:D:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2003/3698-mntnlake1.jpg

jjsangel
05-05-2003, 05:12 PM
WOW, Murray, for being color blind, I think you did a fantastic job on color placement. I like the intense colors you choose, and the dark water makes it look so deep and cold like a Scotish Loche. Maybe the Loche Ness Monster is hiding in there?? Nice job!!

MonicaB
05-05-2003, 06:33 PM
I agree with Sharon, Murray. This is awesome! I only have one question and one teeny suggestion -- is the white on the mountain going to stay white? Or maybe your ref pic is that way. I was just thinking most mountains with snow have the snow at the higher elevations. And the water -- I agree it looks cold and deep! But the other colors are so vibrant, you may want to consider a glaze of some other color too. HTH :D

seejay
05-06-2003, 07:35 AM
Nice and dramatic so far, Murray, which probably suits the subject.

Two points:

1) the picture is split fairly evenly by a line (the horizon?)
- may just be how you scanned it...

2) are the trees really meant to be pink?

:evil: Just jokin', of course. Look forward to seeing where you go with this.

Cheers

:clap: :clap:

artdude
05-06-2003, 12:09 PM
THANKS for commenting Sharon, Monica and Chris!! :)

Monica: In the photo I took of this location, there is no snow at the tops of the mountains. There is just the snow that is laying in some areas that might not get a lot of sun. This photo was also taken in the month of August so it was fairly warm there :) I will try to upload the reference photo I am using to you can see what I am talking about :D

Chris: You're right. It's the way I scanned the painting. The horizon line is about the bottom third of the painting. Some of the sky got cut off with the scan :)
Pink trees??? WHERE??....I can't see any pink trees!!:confused: LOL :D:)

BTDogMom
05-06-2003, 12:31 PM
Looks great so far - I'm not much of a "landscape" art fan, but I had 2 stop in here b-cuz your grass on the hill 2 the left - looks AWESOME!!!:clap: :clap:

Egon
05-06-2003, 01:19 PM
Hi Artdude,
Depending on you colourhandicap you did a good job -but you can improve you grayscale or perspective - in the distance there are softer ,fading grays or also colours . If you do this you can express more plasticity

mel-ink
05-07-2003, 09:12 AM
I agree with BT...the grass is amazing!! And you did well with the colors, too!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

els
05-07-2003, 09:58 AM
Murray, this is looking excellent... Maybe more blue in the water???

Jakeally
05-09-2003, 11:16 AM
GREAT JOB Murray....those mountains look sooooo moody and the grass is fab.
I think the colours are wonderful. The water could take some more blue but it's fine as is also.
Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one.

prairie painter
05-14-2003, 02:12 PM
I got the immediate impression of shivery cold. I think that's what the mountains are "saying".
The white area does seem a bit odd, maybe some pale blue wash to pushthem back with the mountains. And maybe a bit of beach where the grass reaches the water? Just my thoughts, ignore them if you wish:rolleyes:
Anyway, I love the way you treat water!