PDA

View Full Version : Walnut stain: pack of hounds

cyrillejubert
05-05-2003, 08:42 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2003/19462-Gmeutedet_copy.jpg

Let's be serious for a (short) while
I painted that pack of staghounds on commission.. My client did not want me to paint the dog who is looking at you... I am glad that I did not listen at him.
This dog gives all the interest to the picture. Of course, this is watercolor.

For fun, I tryed to paint the same subject with walnut stain.
Here it is.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2003/19462-encrePerseigne.jpg

You can see that It is painted like "painting on silk"
The dogs'heads dont touch each other ...
I painted one first, then the other ... and I had to be carefull not to touch the dry parts of the precedent dog.. it would have destroyed my work.

It is the first time that I see the two picture side by side...
It seems that the first one has more depth and the second more strength
what do you think ?

MonicaB
05-05-2003, 09:41 AM
Cyrille,

These are both wonderful, but I adore the second one. It really does have more character than the watercolor. The dogs seem to have more energy in the second one. And I'm partial to monochrome, too. :D

BTDogMom
05-05-2003, 10:56 AM
GAWT DAAAAYYUUMMM, Cyrille - excuse me I'm gonna go throw up now- u make me sick with this- U r an awesome artist!!!:clap: :clap:

vestalqueen
05-05-2003, 11:01 AM
I'm partial to the walnut stain version. It's a bit looser, has more "life" in my opinion.

Both are beauties!

Erin

jjsangel
05-05-2003, 11:03 AM
WOW Cyrille. They are both sooooooooo good. I love the painting but I think my favorite is the walnut stain. Cool style. It has such character and feeling. It really is beautiful..:) You really should do this some more...

taffetta
05-05-2003, 01:17 PM
i think the walnut stain is the better one, for composition, for vivdness, for humour, and subtlety, and for the personality of each dog in the pack.
not too fussed on the second because with all the space to the bottom right, and the lightness of tone on the legs, underneath it looks a bit off, and because there isn't much of variation of tone all over.Have a look at it greyscale.not there's anything wrong with it, but it's just the walnut stain one comes across to me as more vibrant and alive, and in comparison, the second suffers.

cyrillejubert
05-05-2003, 02:19 PM
Hi girls

You are true ... the second one is very free and much stronger
It is easier when you dont work on commission...
The composition is lightly different ... I squizzed the white bellies and leggs

Hi Nicola
I went on your website.. you are lucky that your works disapeared in water.
"brule ce que tu as adoré, adore ce que tu as brulé"

more or less "burn what you had loved, love what you burnt"
It easier if it is by accident...

Jamie did you have a look to Imaginee&Dana as Dupond&Dupont ? :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1181383

I know you will love it

seejay
05-05-2003, 10:39 PM
Both are great works Cyrille. The walnut stain seems warmer, nicer to look at longer.

Cheers

artdude
05-06-2003, 09:28 AM
AWESOME paintings Cyrille!! Your comment about the colored one having more depth and the walnut stain more strength is reversed for me. I say that, because to me, the colors are a lot for me to look at because of my color blindness. Colors look more flat to me and monochrome had more depth. I know, it's a bit strange :D:) They are both great paintings!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

BTDogMom
05-06-2003, 09:41 AM
Cyrille - I like them both, but I am a fan of more tight paintings and the 1st 1 - 2 me is just amazing I am reading that thread, it makes me laugh, but I'm not commenting on it b-cuz of my lack of time - WC has already caused me 2 slack b-cuz of how much I love it here - but I am reading the thread - it's hilarious!!:clap: :clap:

taffetta
05-06-2003, 07:58 PM
i think i owe you an apology for saying something negative that doesn't belong in this thread.

As you can see from the stuff under my name i haven't posted much on wetcanvas, and probably don't know the rules so well.I don't visit often because the loading times for pages is very long on a modem, and because this place is just so big.Only stopped off to wish a friend well, and happened to look at your work on the way out.

So i offer my apologies if i have said anything to offend you, and thank you for what you said.Unfortunately, I am no Sicambre to decipher the meaning personally of what you've said , havent the intelligence for one thing ;-), but trust me, i don't miss what disappeared, and to be absolutely honest, i wouldnt miss much of what i've done since ;-)

I understand that when you ( a general you, not a personal you) do stuff on commission the results are not going to be exceptionally pleasing to all people, probably only for a job well done personally, and for the buyer.Just couldn't help but think that the stuff you've done for yourself was so much better.

cyrillejubert
05-07-2003, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by taffetta
i think i owe you an apology for saying something negative that doesn't belong in this thread..... snip .... snip

So i offer my apologies if i have said anything to offend you,...snip...snip

No no no !
I dont think there is a special law here to say
"You are great, you are wonderfull" and that forbid to say " I dont like this in your drawing or You could enhance your drawing so and so"

If this law exists it would be a bad one and personnally I dont follow it.
When I look at a drawing, I say this is well but this is wrong... You should try to do it so ... I found boring and without interest just to say "bravo" without being critical if everyone does that....

Being critical is very difficult, because you have to find words not to offend the drawer... It is a diplomatic exercise each time but I think it helps a lot.

So I thank you very much for your reply ... I never felt offended :D and I wont send my witnesses for a duel ... nor my lawyers. Dont change yourself !
Stay just like that !

I pay each month BTdogmum to clap :clap: :clap: each one of my thread or my replies ... and the more she laughs, the more she can buy caviar for her dogs at the end of the week. I can tell you her dogs are really fat ! and my bank account very flat :D
Erin ( Vestalqueen) is my sister in law and Monica, the daughter of the third wife of my banker 's best friend ...
I am glad to have comments outside of this small circle :D

rapolina
05-07-2003, 06:20 AM
as other said, the ink version is better:

Originally posted by vestalqueen
I'm partial to the walnut stain version. It's a bit looser, has more "life" in my opinion.
Erin

to tell the truth, I don't like at all the watercolor version, it looks too much like a photo. Maybe it is what your client wanted, but for my cat (i have not much feeling with dogs;) ) i'd like to have a painting which tells his character, and not each hair!

ciao cyrille! anyway, i envy you for your drawing skill!:) :)

rapolina.

els
05-07-2003, 09:42 AM
Cyrille, these are just great... Love them both, but the wallnut stain one is superb...