GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Maria
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 30x30 cm, 1'x1' approximately
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Portrait of a friend of mine. This is my second portrait attempt (first was a bit caricature-ish) and haven't painted much of anything to-date (about 20 so far).

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Is the background too blah? I tried giving her shoulders and a jacket, but then it looked too rigid. Are skin tones representative of a Venezuelan?

jerryW
05-05-2003, 10:04 AM
the profile is nicely developed with skin etc.
the background clothing interface needs development.
I always go back to the source image to get reference
when lost like that.

soulsketcher
05-05-2003, 10:05 AM
i like this one...i only have one suggestion..and maybe it was something you did intentionally but i think the head seems to be floating a little...maybe her shoulders could be a different color or a slightly different hue of red..it give her some grounding..

good work!!! :clap:

Jumping Gemini
05-05-2003, 12:06 PM
this is nice. i like the skin tones and background.

the only thing that caught my eye was the darkened area just above her upper lip. it appears as though her lip is turned towards the viewer so you see the two "bumps", instead of just the one. i hope you know what i mean.

cindy

London
05-05-2003, 05:22 PM
Cindy, Thanks for telling me what you think. I do see what you mean about the upper lip and could probably soften that up easily enough.

Soulsketcher, Thanks for the claps. Yes, I realized before I ended that she would be "floating" but I liked that better than the "grounding" I had before. It wasn't intentional, just better than my 3 attempts at putting her into a jacket.

Jerry, Thanks for the time. The painting is now so far removed from my original reference picture that I can't go back, unfortunately. I'll figure something out with the background/clothing...

London