PDA

View Full Version : ~~Daily Wash~~ Monday, May 5~~

Nandie
05-05-2003, 02:42 AM
Goooooood Morning!:D

I haven't posted on the Wash for a few days so I thought I'd start the new one for Monday!

I've been busy with my Digging for Clams WIP and hope to finish it later today..... I'm already sketching out plans for the next painting. Hey, I'm on a roll!:D

I went to Vancouver with my hubby on Thursday (he was having a CAT scan because of his minor stroke 2 months ago) so I got to go and visit my favorite art store - OPUS! I went specifically looking for Masquepens which they had advertised - but they were all out when I got there!:mad: :mad: So they put my name down to get one put on hold as soon as more arrive. I'm anxious to try it - I hate masking with a brush - you just can't get fine detail!

I did purchase Nita Engle's book, "How to Make a Watercolor Paint Itself" which cost me $50 CDN. It looks interesting, with lots of unusual techniques to try. Don't know yet if it was worth the $50 tho.... we'll see. But I couldn't leave the store empty-handed!:rolleyes:

Anyway, hope you all have a wonderful Monday..... do some painting if you can! :cat:

Scitzo
05-05-2003, 02:49 AM
Goodmorning to you from Amsterdam, cloudy and rainy, but had nice summerday yesterday!

Scitzo

Phillip
05-05-2003, 02:55 AM
Good morning from land down under:D

It is 5pm Monday here. been painting & drawing most of the day.

The time difference is awkward here, when I am online there are hardly anyone online.
when you's are all online I am sleeping.:o

imagenie
05-05-2003, 04:29 AM
Good morning, it's 1:35 AM here in Hermosa Beach California. I'm the night owl around here.

Jeannine

M.A.
05-05-2003, 05:17 AM
Morning!
Getting ready for work! Have a great day!

K8Black
05-05-2003, 05:28 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2003/19455-j0236254.gif

Good morning all...Stormed most of the night here but seems calm here. Rainy day predicted. My heart goes out to all in the path of those Midwestern tornadoes that went through last night. We lost everything in a huge tornado that struck Xenia, Ohio in 1974. I remember it all too well. It is a scary nightmare to live through. I am always glad to see the "tornado season" pass.

Hope you all have a nice creative Monday :)

Kate

CharM
05-05-2003, 05:50 AM
Good Morning/Good Night Washuns....

I just read about the devastating tornadoes that ripped through the Midwest... I sincerely hope that no one was affected by this...

Nandie... I have that book... I read and re-read it... Nita Engle's techniques are really interesting and would make good exercises for a more loosely painted approach... I hope you enjoy it...

Scitzo, Philllip, Jeannine and Mary-Ann... good morning(good night)... have a good day painting/working or sleeping!

Kate... I agree..

I'm leaving for Dallas this morning, so will be out of pocket for a few days...

Have a great day everyone!

Astur
05-05-2003, 06:05 AM
Good Morning:

sunny and warn here in Madrid. After a long weekend in Asturias, time to return to hard work. Fantastic weekend, weather was fine, I even take my first season sea bath!!!. I took hundred of new references pics, hope I will have some time to upload to reference library...

See you

coffee_girl3000
05-05-2003, 06:52 AM
Happy May Day! Back to school after long weekend tomorrow, but it's the last ever week of Year 11. Except for exams but that's a bit different. Can't wait for that 11 week summer holiday. Plenty of painting time.

Hate to admit it, but I'm struggling a bit with Challenge 2. I love the Moroccan alley (Ruth painted it) but I cannot for the life of me draw it. My drawing skills are quite good but don't extend to anything architectural. May just have to paint something else.

Also, I have another painting commitment in the form of the Oils Portrait Exchange. I have drawn Lulu but the painting won't begin for a while. Luckily the Oils forum is sooooo slow compared to w/cs so I won't get left behind.

I hope nobody has been badly affected by those tornadoes. There was a short story on the radio about it. The closest I've ever come to extreme weather would be once in the summer when we saw some rubbish swirling around in a strange little twister. Exciting stuff but I would be petrified of a real one.

painterbear
05-05-2003, 06:54 AM
Good Morning all,

It is almost 7:00 a.m. and gentle rain is falling (as it has been all night). Was going to put some work in on my veggie garden, but it looks like that will have to wait another day or so. Bought a wooden trellis for the Italian Beans I will be planting. Spent yesterday afternoon painting it dark green.

Kate, We were stationed at Wright-Patt when the tornado hit Xenia. It was really terrible. Have you read Allen Eckart's book about the Xenia tornado? It is very interesting and conveys the terror vividly. I think it is called Time of Terror. (But don't hold me to that, I also read one about the Dayton flood and it might be the title of that book. It's hard getting older and your memory goes to pot. :rolleyes: ) Sounds like yesterday was a pretty bad day for those in the path of the tornadoes in the Mid-Western states. Mother Nature can be pretty devastating when she gets angry.

Nandie, I went to a workshop last year and the instructor used Nita Engle's book as one of our two references. I was very happy with one of my paintings done using her techniques. In fact, I've framed it and will give it to my son and his wife for Christmas.

Astur, Lucky you, getting to take a sea swim.

Plan to start on my painting for the Challenge 2 project. I've picked the Moroccan rug salesman. Lots of different angles and colors in it.

Hope you all have time to paint today, if not, enjoy whatever you are doing.

See you later.

Rod
05-05-2003, 07:53 AM
Good Morning All :)

Its getting quite cold here as winter sets in , its just after midnight ,
I'm off to bed, G'nite ,

Rod.

ScarletLake
05-05-2003, 07:58 AM
Hi everyone

Monday here at 8:00 am. Kids off to school & hubby off to work. Now I will get ready to go out & drop off some resumes & visit a couple of nursing homes today.

I spent alot of time on Sat going through stuff I need to get rid of & putting all of the painting books & magazines on watercolor neatly organized in my art space. Sure be glad when all the organizing is done & I feel like sitting down & painting again. bought a fan brush & deerfoot stippler brush yesterday.

Enjoying the Artist Way chat on Sun evenings.

Hope everyone has a good week ahead.

Anita

lynn_cyr
05-05-2003, 08:05 AM
Andrea: I hope the hubby's results are good - I'll keep good thought in my prayers for both of you!

Other washers: Good morning/evening! And happy Cinco de Mayo!! (Okay, I'm not Mexican at all! But what better excuse to drink a good 'ol Margarita today!!?? LOL!)

Those poor familes in the midwest... what a horrible thing to have to go through! :( I hope no one here on WC! was affected??

I spent the better part of yesterday planting some bulbs - just a side note, I have a completely BLACK thumb! LOL! But each year, I keep my fingers crossed and hope that *something* will pop up! ;)

Today will be a GREAT day for me!! I'm spending the whole day in Boston. For one, I'm going to the best art store around. Second, I'll be walking around the whole city, taking lots of good reference pictures for myself - I can't wait!! I'm really getting to learn how to use this camera, and the time learning it is well spent. I took some great photos of my hubby and the puppy yesterday. I'll try posting them tonight, if I get a chance.

Have a great day!!! :) :)

Lynn

chookbrown
05-05-2003, 08:21 AM
Morning washers.. well we are still here. Tornadoes were dropping all around us and we escaped untouched.. very fortunate.. I hope everyone else gets thru the same. Midwesterners are so funny.. the sirens are sounding off and they just sit there.. not a care in the world.. while me being a foreigner and out of towner gathers up enough supplies and comforts for the basement that I can muster.. LOL

Yep, Kate my family (in laws) lost everything in the Oklahoma tornado of 99 and they still have nightmares especially when the wind comes up again...

Blessings to all.. I'm off to class all day but wanted to pop in first..

cya,

Chooky :D:D

bswilson1147
05-05-2003, 08:46 AM
Spent some $$ on mats over the weekend. Getting ready to put my 25+ stuffed toy animal paintings out at a couple of places.

Wow, there are some REALLY wonderful paintings on the w/c post this morning! Very inspiring! Keep up the great work, everybody!

Little Old Lady
05-05-2003, 09:01 AM
Good wahtever! Cool, dreary and windy here.
TMR
Finally finished the three portraits I had started. Have to scan and post.
Have to spend some time reorganizing my mess. Expect some kids for Mother's Day and have to have a place for them to sit.
Have a good one.
JoAnn

babybrush
05-05-2003, 09:08 AM
hi everybody. Gilberte requested i upload a pic of my family, the whole crew so yall could see them all. i tried the reference library and it was deleated for some reason. so, i am trying it here.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2003/11882-family.JPG

anyway, Lynn, i am sending you your portrait today. i am sad to see it go, i liked it alot myself. but i am happy that you wanted it and am pleased to have some of my artwork all the way up in MA.

classes at the college are rapping up and so i have alot more free time. so i hope to get lots of painting in these next few weeks. i do have other stuff comming up though, like graduation and stuff, but that's all down the road a little ways. do have a final next monday so i have to do some studying for that this week, but otherwise, i'm cool.

Bethany

Uschi
05-05-2003, 09:21 AM
Nothing exciting going on here, just wanted to say Good Morning Everyone!!!
Nandy, Truly hope hubby is fine!!
Sarah, your excitement about school ending is coming right through!!! What are you going to do with all those free months in summer???
Bethany, what a beautiful family photo!!!!! Now there is great composition!!!!!
JoAnn, you have had some pretty dreary weather there, waiting for you to say it's sunny HA!

re Tornados, scary!!!! Hope everyone here is o.k. Tornados seemed almost unknown here but over the last 6 years we have just about become Ontario's Tornado alley. Had one pass 1/4 mile north of my house, and the next year one less than 1/4 mile southeast of my house. Too close for comfort!!!!!
Have a great day everyone, be safe and stay healthy!!!!!
Uschi

pampe
05-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Good day, washers and washerettes!

Rainy here but we need it

Prayers for the folks effected by weather of the negative kind

Andrea....wjite light for your hubby's cat scan!

Quiet day here to come...gym and then all day in the studio, I hope!

Be creative and make beauty (the world needs it)

Pam

Sylvielu
05-05-2003, 09:53 AM
Good morning! It's 6:55 PST here in the Northwest. I hope all the bad weather goes away. Yesterday it was raining and dreary most of the day, then the rain stopped and there was a beautiful sun sit with orange and gray clouds and a glimpse of clear blue sky. I should have taken a photo.

Besides this there is not much going on at the moment.

I hope all have a great art filled day!

Nitsa
05-05-2003, 10:04 AM
Afternoon all!
Nandie, hope the scan goes ok!
I started a Grapes painting last night, quite a challenge....All these spheres are making my eyes go funny.....Hopefully it will be worht it tho' :)

Lazy day here.....The men are clay shooting in the yard and I'm finishing my grapes, while my 5 year old Harry annoys the hell outta his newly purchased bunny rabbit "Jet".
LOL!

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Christie
05-05-2003, 10:15 AM
Morning all! More snow last night, so i am going to avoid going out if at all possible. Well, at least, I am going to minimize my contact with the outside. :D

So, more painting, laundry and house work today... I need to get some composting worms delivered to the kid's school today, so I have to go out in the snow at some point... sigh.

I heard on the news that there were deaths associated with the tornadoes. Such a scary thing to be involved with... I have seen tornadoes going by in the sky and that is as near as I want to be.

Well, I am off to take care of getting the kids to the school bus. It's much like herding kittens. :)

mchew
05-05-2003, 10:34 AM
Hello everyone,

Rained today in the afternoon and now it's humid and hot. It's 10.25 pm now and nothing much to report.... nothing done on home mural .... had one watercolour painting waiting on the easel... and I'm sitting here looking at this whitebox (literally the brand of my pc is WHITEBOX local brand).

Not much productive artistically except the two sketches I did for the mural project... revised after meeting with client.... I'm don't know if I get the Mexican feel for the window since I'm only refering to books and magazines.... and for the shelve, the client only wants very few things on it as they'll actually put their merchandise on an actual shelves there.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2003/14541-window_-_draft_3a.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2003/14541-shelvea.jpg

Hope very have a nice day and take care!

yahooserious
05-05-2003, 11:02 AM
Good Morning from hot & humid Central Texas...

Hope everyone is well, and everyone escaped the tornados & storms last night..

Char, I wish I were going to be in Dallas today!!!...I miss living near there.

Nandie, glad to see you up and about.

I haven't been here in a while, busy with my daughter & then

AHEM.....my grandson the great Nicholas!!!....was an extra in a movie they're filming outside of Austin. The Alamo. I had to be there with him as his mom couldn't be, and let me tell you, this movie glamour isn't all it's cracked up to be....I'd had enough after about 30 minutes. Go to wardrobe, go to hair & makeup, wait around for hours, go up the hill in a van to the set, hide behind a fake building while they're filming. One of the little boys about Nick's age was a little demon, let me tell you, deliberately poked an older boy in the face with a sharp stick, brought blood,
hit me and the teacher (she tutors all the kids for 3 hours, it's the law), and had a really aggressive mean look on his face when he did it. (the day before he slugged the wig lady twice & kept pulling the wig off after she got it fixed just right. ) He wasn't invited back the next day. Got to see Jason Patrik practice pi##ing with a plastic bag of yellow water slung under his arm & a tube down his sleeve!!!...Didn't realize he was one of the stars....:p Nick's dad works as a grip with the movie crew, so that's how he was an extra, and he told me on the way home he didn't think it was much fun. I was glad..

Didn't mean to go on so much , just had a lot of news

Hope everyone has a wonderful day...Emilie:)

artmom
05-05-2003, 11:34 AM
Hello, everyone! I'll post more later--we are having thunderstorm after thunderstorm, power outages, tornado watches.

Marvin, IMO your scenery is still reading too jungle-y (green) for Mexico. I know there are green places in Mexico, but when I think Mexico, I think gold, brown, with splashes of brilliant turquoise, red, etc. not green. Also, is this a window or a door? If window, is the perspective right? I don't know, but I just "feel" that I'm looking through a door instead of a window.

As usual, your painting is great!

Lyn

andylavallee
05-05-2003, 01:09 PM
Hi everyone, late on report I have just come back from Liverpool a 4 hr drive normally but a couple of accidents extended the trip somewhat, Smashing couple of days. A pint of the black stuff (Guiness) in the Beatles Cavern Club, being only one of the high spots.( Actually its down 6 flights of stairs but a low spot it was not:D )

jageo
05-05-2003, 02:25 PM
Wow, Emily picked the right time to go away on holidays. Snow again. Heavy snowfall alert for today and tomorrow. Arghh!

I got my invitation in the mail to her show at the end of the month. Funny to look in my mailbox and see a painting (on a postcard) "Hey! I've seen that flower before...."

JA <-under the snow

Yorky
05-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by andylavallee
Hi everyone, late on report I have just come back from Liverpool a 4 hr drive normally but a couple of accidents extended the trip somewhat, Smashing couple of days. A pint of the black stuff (Guiness) in the Beatles Cavern Club, being only one of the high spots.( Actually its down 6 flights of stairs but a low spot it was not:D )

Hi Andy - you were sooo close! Did you see the navy ship in the Mersey for the "Battle of the Atlantic" celebrations?

Hi everyone else :D

I just had to sneak out of bed to check up on y'all :D

Started a painting in bed today, but it looks too tight, spent too long drawing the sketch as I had nothing else to do.

Heard about the tornados, sounds as if some of you had a narrow escape. I don't know how people cope with losing everything in a tornado. The worst disaster we come across here are floods, and thank goodness I liv at the top of a hill.

Don't know when I will get around to Challenge 2 - I'd better print out a couple of reference pics in case I get the urge (to paint :D).

Best wishes,

Doug

andylavallee
05-05-2003, 03:00 PM
Yorky stayed in a hotel on queens dock ,spent the day yesterday around the Albert dock and H.M.S Invincible.

artmom
05-05-2003, 03:04 PM
Wow, TMR but hello, anyway!!!

Did get up to the mountains to my favorite cove (valley) and we got some good pics before sun decided to hide:( Will post sometime today or tomorrow, IF the power stays on. The storms are all around us and the power keeps going on and off, so don't like to keep computers on--it is very, very frustrating. But I'm glad the tornado watches have slacked up.

I've lived in Texas, Florida, and Alabama, and have visited extensively in South Dakota, and I have seen enough twisters in the distance to have me move downstairs when the warnings come! After the 14 deaths last year in the next county over, a lot more people here in the hills take the warnings seriously!

I'll be posting the final of the hands from Andy LaVallee's pic today. My first skin, hands painting!

Well, here comes another storm! Bye!

Lyn

M.A.
05-05-2003, 03:20 PM
I really think it's neat the way so many of our tiny heads are turning into portraits from the watercolour exchange! Makes me smile!!!

madmum
05-05-2003, 03:53 PM
Hi!

Late getting here today - feeling a bit off, nothing serious though, probably back to normal tomorrow :)

Great family group, Bethany!

Tornadoes sounded awful, I do hope no WC'ers were affected.

No painting done today - kept looking at reference photos but couldn't get going :rolleyes: Did walk over to the racecourse to have a nosey at the Moscow State Circus, it set up yesterday for the annual visit. No animals, of course, but sadly didn't see any colourful performers either :(

Did BBC's National IQ Test last night, hoping for score of about 120, surprised myself when the result was 136! :D If you fancy having a go at the test, you can still join in online for a few weeks. Takes about 20 minutes. Most interesting bit of data from the evening was that the people who drink most had highest IQ! :eek:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/testthenation/

Later

Ruth

noreenemc
05-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Hi everyone who's still around to read this.

Just got back yesterday from a trip to Southern California. I've posted some photos of the trip in the ref library. Can't wait to paint some of them. Here's an sample

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2003/20414-av_blue_eyes_poppies.jpg

pampe
05-05-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by madmum
Hi!

Did BBC's National IQ Test last night, hoping for score of about 120, surprised myself when the result was 136! :D If you fancy having a go at the test, you can still join in online for a few weeks. Takes about 20 minutes. Most interesting bit of data from the evening was that the people who drink most had highest IQ! :eek:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/testthenation/

Later

Ruth

Ruth...known fact...ask any alcoholic:D

M.A.
05-05-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by noreenemc
Hi everyone who's still around to read this.

Just got back yesterday from a trip to Southern California. I've posted some photos of the trip in the ref library. Can't wait to paint some of them. Here's an sample

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2003/20414-av_blue_eyes_poppies.jpg
Wow, this is a beautiful photograph. I'm gonna check out your RIL for sure!!!

lyn lynch
05-05-2003, 06:45 PM
Sarah, you and I are boating together on that Moraccan alley scene. The problem for me is that I was trying to put in all the left-hand side details and did not understand their relationships. Once I understood, it was easy to draw--I needed a magnifer to understand the relationships though-one tip I can give you is that the reference is crooked, as though it had been shot from the extreme right-hand side, which threw off the perspective for me to draw it. I had to use my ruler and straighten it, thus having a wider opening in the front. But, I messed it up w/my palette and putting it aside for another right now, too. :D

Marvin, nope not Mexican--including bookcase and all contents--not even remotely suggestive of Mexico. Rare day to have clouds over here, mostly soft blue cloudless sky, and palette entirely wrong, too, so much greenery very rare indeed, especially so low growing. But, if client sign-off on sketch, what the heck, go for it; too late now, but might have asked client to provide the reference. Maybe no one else in Singapore know "mexican" either, so work out OK. :D

Good day and good night all. Had coffee this am w/our friend Emily and sister Carole. Nice ladies, it was good to chat and meet them both. Carole good sport while we talked art; very pleasurable time. Em showed me her macro invitation--it is one of her flowers and excellent printing; and, the show title is "In Your Face Nature". How cool is that? Em said dau Carley came up w/the name; I am impressed. I also got one of Em's posters of the flower macros--this is beautiful!! I'm sure she will be offering them to you as well--if you buy one, make sure she signs it, I forgot to ask and have pouty face now. Em also makes magnets from her work--love that idea. I saw her portolio and she does terrific figures!! No kidding, I did not know that and thought her macro of dau was her first!

Shim to doggie park early and only old ladies there [sigh], so no one would run w/him and he sad boy. I take him back for a bit of a chase later, then settle down to paint--I'm working on one of the Rod heads, only 2 people images from which to select. Bye....