PDA

View Full Version : WIP Ink & Wash

Phillip
05-05-2003, 02:12 AM
I done this one solely with Ink so far.

I used Burnt Sienna ink, actually its the only one I own,
Drawn with Dip Pen, I really like the Dip Pen, I have other pens, but the dip pen is my favorite.

The denser washes I used a brush.

I will now start to add some watercolor.
Might have a break though, been painting most of the day. feel a bit tired now.

This is part of a exercise from a book I got at the library, I just change a little as I go along,
I honestly don't think I could do this, if it was not for the books lessons.

Enough waffling now, here's the drawing, soon to be a painting.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2003/21263-Dancer.jpg

artmom
05-05-2003, 02:15 AM
Phillip, WOW! I can't draw--I'm trying to learn. You have absolutely captured muscles, freedom, movement--fantastic!

Lyn

BTW, I just noticed the Nudity icon on this--isn't there a leotard on her????

Phillip
05-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by artmom
Phillip, WOW! I can't draw--I'm trying to learn. You have absolutely captured muscles, freedom, movement--fantastic!

Lyn

I used a grid square, I placed it over the picture & drawn grids very lightly with pencil on the watercolor paper & than drawn by hand,
The grid helps me to get the proportions right,

I wish I could do the same at life drawing:D

Phillip
05-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by artmom

Lyn

BTW, I just noticed the Nudity icon on this--isn't there a leotard on her????

Yes I was worried about the pose, Some will think it's erotic,

I sat here for about 5 minutes deciding to put one in or not.

to be on the safe side I did.

Some people regard this as erotic, I certainly don't.

artmom
05-05-2003, 02:38 AM
No, Phillip, I don't consider this erotic--just exciting!

As a group, we Americans sometimes have trouble with the human body without clothes--I personally don't--but that's why the "butt icon" usually signals nudity. (Giggle--you'll probably get more viewers with the icon!)

Lyn

CharM
05-05-2003, 05:57 AM
Phillip, I can see that you're improving your musclature in these exercises... I think that's really important if you want to do portraits... I can honestly say that I never paid close attention to facial muscles until I signed up for the portrait exchange... Your ballerina is certainly not erotic... She is sensual and well done!!!

Little Old Lady
05-05-2003, 09:14 AM
Very nice start. Waiting to see it finished.
JoAnn

Phillip
05-05-2003, 09:14 AM
I started putting in a little color. I dont think she needs anymore color.

I like to do something with the background, do you think just a straight wash over the back ground would look any good?

Any sugestions with color. I am thinking about a light blue wash.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2003/21263-Dancer2.jpg

Uschi
05-05-2003, 09:25 AM
Oh, how I have always wanted to be "bendy" like that, well too old now and all hope is lost.

Lovely piece Phillip, I too like the depiction of the muscles etc.
Uschi

Sylvielu
05-05-2003, 09:39 AM
This is great! (saying this as I arch my back!) It evokes a feeling of movement.

Phillip
05-05-2003, 10:17 AM
I decided to use a light wash of sepia.

I thought that if I use a darker wash it might compete with the dancer. It was Either Sepia or a light blue.
I can still put I light blue in.

I think also the sepia does not take the focus away from the dancer.

Don't know what to do now.

Maybe I can call this finnished.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2003/21263-Dancer3.jpg

Little Old Lady
05-05-2003, 10:31 AM
I would also like to see some color on arms and back.
JoAnn

Phillip
05-05-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Little Old Lady
I would also like to see some color on arms and back.
JoAnn

What color do you think??

jocelynsart
05-05-2003, 02:35 PM
Phillip, I think you did well here. I do see that some proportional things are off a bit is all. Her foot over the head is too small and seems to be twisting, her mouth is too low on her face and her legs may be a bit too large in spots, not narrowing naturally where bones meet at joints. However, this is very good practice for drawing! The background is fine, I think it works. I can see where adding clour to the skin and not the outfit is separating the two well but maybe adding the colour to the outfit and not the skin may have been a good option. The clothing is great!
That solid area that comes into her face under her ear does not work for me. It needs definition of the hairline on the neck.
The only thing, and this is personal, it has a slight comic booky feel to it instead of a pen and ink illustration of a figure feel. However, this is no big deal, just a style thing.
Do some more excersizes liek this and your drawing skills will become nice and fluid and relaxed and the drawings will get better and better!
:cat: Joss

mccab42
05-05-2003, 03:50 PM
Phillip:

Nice study! The grid system is great in reproducing any subject! The detail in any grid will depend on the size square used in both the reference and sketch. The smaller the grid, the more detail. I agree with color in the arms and legs. I am not one to give advice on color. You might want to add washes of the same color on top of the color already used in the right leg. Also, you can use washes of blue and purple to enhance the crosshatching used in the pen and ink shadow (that's a call, that's up to you). Good on you for experimenting!!!!!

Skip

M.A.
05-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Phillip, this is really beautiful!!!!
:clap: