PDA

View Full Version : Another Portrait. ????

Strawberry Wine
05-04-2003, 07:46 PM
Hi All:

Another Portrait attempt for me.

IHere is my attempt at painting a portriat of my Uncle. Following Fookie and Gisele's advice I used bigger brushes and tried not to draw with the brush.

Hoping the "above mentioned" will pop in to give me more critiques, comments and to tell me if I am following instructions or not, and everyone else as well. Please comment and critique.

My Uncle is an established and successful artist in Belleville, Ontario and has been following my progress for the past couple of years. This painting was done from a photo taken about 7 years ago and thought that I might send it to him.

So please critique.

The ref. photo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2003/13320-Uncle_peter_1.jpg

And the portrait.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2003/13320-Uncle__Peter_WIP_for_W.C..jpg

Gail

pampe
05-04-2003, 07:49 PM
I think this is going to be REALLY good

you have captured the face VERY WELL!

:clap: :clap:

Strawberry Wine
05-04-2003, 07:53 PM
Thanks Pam:

I saw that you had responded and I thought "sure as shootin" she is going to tell me to add more darks. which BTW was one of my thoughts. :) :) :)

Gail

CharM
05-04-2003, 07:54 PM
Wow... Belleville... We ARE practically family... We have a niece living in Belleville!!! She just became a new Mom last week, birthing a beautiful 8 lb. little girl!!!!!

Your uncle looks like himself! Does that sound right? Try again... You really captured your Uncle's likeness...

M.A.
05-04-2003, 07:57 PM
Wow! This is really good!
:clap:

Strawberry Wine
05-04-2003, 08:05 PM
Thank you Mary Ann and Char.

Congratulations on your new Auntie status Char. My uncle, Peter lives on Quinte Island and has a studio and gallery in downtown Belleville. So can I now say I have relatives in Chatham?

MayAnn, See what youhave started with the Portrait Exchange. My faimily will see me coming and start running the other way cause they will say" Here comes Gail with another portrait. Quick, hide in the bushes."

Thanks for commenting.

Gail

M.A.
05-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Strawberry Wine

MayAnn, See what youhave started with the Portrait Exchange. My faimily will see me coming and start running the other way cause they will say" Here comes Gail with another portrait. Quick, hide in the bushes."

Thanks for commenting.

Gail

Too funny! I know what you mean though.
:)

Little Old Lady
05-04-2003, 08:24 PM
I think your portrait is great. The only thing I would do is vary the color in the background a bit.
JoAnn

Starsprite
05-04-2003, 08:45 PM
This is great Gail!!! You are really getting good at these portraits!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

lyn lynch
05-04-2003, 10:18 PM
Family members will be standing in line waiting to get a portrait by Gail.

Did you enjoy work w/bigger brushes? What size did you use.
This is coming very good. Back of Uncle's head between forehead and ear needs a bit more rounding with the hair. Back of head looks like a right facing questin mark, it rounds and then cups in just about end of ear--feel the bone on your own head. Just make loose suggestive strokes, and use lighter brown. Hair darker nearest hairlines and goes lighter. [dark bring closer, light recedes].

On mouth just touchdown with tip of brush to left corner w/a darkened color of what you used on lips. Then same touchdown in center of bottom lip and at bottom of lip line--not on the lip so man look like he wearing Revlon.

Put more uneven color in the shirt, uneven and drips is good. Also variation in background; uneven washes of colors used in skin, ie, raw sienna, cerulean, whatever you used.

These above are no big deals, just talking to hear myself, so your choice to follow or not. You have come very far indeed, this work is very impressive and uncle will love it, make no mistake about that.

I think you are ready to do a spot of impressionism look to portrait. If you like, email to me w/your email addy and I will send you picture of the one I did of my brother so you can see how I did the beard in impressionism style. BTW: your beard very good and reflect him so you may wish to leave it alone.

Good job. Glad to be of help to you, as everyone on the board is.

mhimeswc
05-04-2003, 11:38 PM
You have a very good likeness there. Good job!

Michelle

Nandie
05-05-2003, 02:26 AM
Wow!!!

All I can say is.....

"Look out Fookie.... here comes Gail"!!!!

:clap: :clap:

Strawberry Wine
05-05-2003, 07:42 AM
Thanks Fookie, Andrea, Michelle, Star, and Jo

I am having fun and learning a lot at the same time.

Fookie, I loved working with the bigger brushes. The bggest I have is a #12 round and then a # 4 flat and 1/2" angle brush.

I painted most of this with the #12. I am sadly in need of some new brushes. Any suggestions from anyone on a couple more sizess that are favourites of yours. Fooks, I will e-mail you my e-mail address but you may have it already with dog food recipe I sent you. Also Thank You for your suggestions and tips on improving portrait.

Thanks again and will post this later after Fookies additions.

Gail

Uschi
05-05-2003, 09:41 AM
Looking good Gail!!!!
Uschi

Annetta
05-05-2003, 12:36 PM
Hi Gail :D All I can say is the likeness is just wonderful!! Don't you EVER think we tire of viewing your portraits (or anything else you post). Again, awesome job!! :clap: :clap:

Strawberry Wine
05-05-2003, 06:34 PM
Thanks Annetta and Uschi:

Everyones comments and support are so very much appreciated.

Now about those brush sizes ????

Gail

Nitsa
05-05-2003, 07:06 PM
On mouth just touchdown with tip of brush to left corner w/a darkened color of what you used on lips. Then same touchdown in center of bottom lip and at bottom of lip line--not on the lip so man look like he wearing Revlon. ROFL @ Fookie!

Gail.....This is wonderful, your Uncle will love it.
Your approach looks very timid, like you are a little scared of your tools...Does that make sense?.......I'm sureit can be easily fixed by having a little confidence in yourself...After seeing this, that can't be too hard can it?

WD! :clap:

lyn lynch
05-05-2003, 09:25 PM
DUH! What...you calling me???
I have your addy. It's short-term memory that I do not have :confused:
[I send .jpg now]

I started watercolors w/#14 Robert Simmons Sapphire round, and it's what I still use. They are priced between $13-$16. Cheap Joe's currently has all Robert Simmons on sale. This is a nice brush for the price; it hold a good load and it's point, as long as it isn't used as a scrubber [guilty]. By retaining the nice tip, it is all I need in a round.

For big washes and lay-in of basic stuff I use a 1" Schwee angle-brush. I hate Schwee paints, but she makes a good brush, imo. I have begun using the 1" for all but the eyes and mouth, and I like it. Eventually I want to paint a work in my style using a fluffy scrub mop. Bigger the better, and the same applies to image area of a work.

You are doing very well, I will be happy to relinquish my "place" to whomever wants it [Nandie...snort], with $1.25 and my "place", I have always been able to get a bus ride on the local.

Now, hurry up, I want to see if you are going to do anything else. Auntie.

Brelaina
05-05-2003, 11:03 PM
Great job Gail,

You nailed his expression bang on ! - got hte twinle in his eyes - I'm sure he'll be tickled pink.

Good for you to attempt more portraits - I'm sure it's a real learning curve an you're doing great so far !

Bre

andylavallee
05-06-2003, 02:43 AM
Gail brilliant as a likeness I think your painting is superb!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Olga
05-06-2003, 05:47 AM
Hi Gail,
This is good. The likeness is fantastic and you can see his character well which is the hardest thing in portraits.

You got lots of good advice on background and clothes and other finishing touches (I always learn from such comments--and here especially Fookie-Lyn's comments) and I have nothing to add apart from:
:clap:

Olga

Gisele
05-06-2003, 07:59 AM
Gail, this is very good. You caught your uncle's likeness very well.

If I may say something...don't be afraid to leave parts of portraits white where the light hits his hair or his shirt or his face.

Still, this is very good as it is.

Gisele:)

Gisele
05-06-2003, 08:04 AM
Oups, I didn't read the whole thread before posting. You are asking about brushes? For portraits I use Robert Simmons "Goliath" no.36 with a brown handle. It is a big round that loads up with lots of water and keeps a pointed tip.

Gisele:)

Strawberry Wine
05-06-2003, 08:12 AM
Thaks again to all who commented and critiqued.

Nitsa: Your approach looks very timid, like you are a little scared of your tools...Does that make sense?.

You are so RIGHT ! I AM still not quite sure of what I can do with watercolour or what watercolour will do so I tend not to go tooo bold. I am working on it.

Thank you Gisele: Your suggestions are always written down or printed up for future ref.

Fookie: Thanks for tips on brushes as well. I will post the portrait again later today with all revisions. BTW, I think your Portrait status is safe at least from me. We can discuss this again in about 10 years.

Gail

Uschi
05-06-2003, 09:04 AM
Gail, a little afterthought - the area between the ear and the eye seems a bit wide, because it has a flat wash and is not shaped. This can be changed with a wash/glaze that starts at the forehead and comes down past the ear, but not all the way over to the eye. You might try it with
1. slighty darker skin tone or
2. purple (but easy to turn into mud)
3. thin veridian green or
4. thin antwerp or prussian blue
Uschi