PDA

View Full Version : Spring Runoff

coulter
05-04-2003, 08:21 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-04-2003/6690_Spring_Runoff_Bear_Creek_Canyonb.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Spring Runoff
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

Bear Creek Canyon from last weekend.

Ceu
05-04-2003, 08:42 PM
oh I like this, the way the water flows, the colors. wonderful

Wayne Gaudon
05-04-2003, 09:10 PM
Mark .. I was looking for more clay color in the water but with it moving so fast it probably is pure white .. would love to see this spot in person .. must be captivating with the roar and beauty ..

anyway .. nice pice of work .. it has a sense of atmosphere and reality.

coulter
05-04-2003, 09:33 PM
Thanks Ceu! Thanks Wayne. First of all, I did not do as good a job as I would have liked capturing the water and the light in the canyon. Second of all, this IS a digital camera's interpretation of the pigment which is NOT white, but a bluegrey using the same TRO and Ultra Blue that makes up the rest of the painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2003/6690-Spring_runoff_crop_2.jpg

With some Cad yellow thrown in....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2003/6690-spring_runoff_crop_1.jpg

There are a lot of great places like this, this one about a mile or two west of Morrison - 20 minutes from where I live in the city, (think Red Rocks - where U2 made that concert video) then there's Boulder Canyon, the Big Thompson, and the Poudre, all within a days drive up and back ( just find me the time from work :D )

Thanks for looking!!!!

Mark

woodguy
05-04-2003, 11:58 PM
We have water again in Colorado, and man, you have painted it well!! Very good, Jim

bocote
05-05-2003, 01:10 AM
this indeed is a nice party of rocks and water. It reminds me of the seaside rock+water paintings that E. Hopper did, but different, yet as impressive.

keep up the goodies.

have fun,

bocote

coulter
05-05-2003, 04:38 PM
Thank you Jim! Yeah, hope it lasts!

Thank you bocote, didn't remember Hopper doing sea coast paintings, something to look up!!

Mark

mattlart
05-05-2003, 04:56 PM
HEY MARK!
GOOD to see new work from you....:D
I think that you really have done a good job with the water;..and whenever I look at ANYTHING on WC,...; from experience, I know that the digital images really don't give anywhere near the accurate color nor texture of an oil painting.....!

I think that you realize that the canyon walls may have given you some fits.....is that true?
Depicting all the different planes and light-and-shadow shifts on rocks can be TOUGH!
Here's a suggestion........Look up Matt Smith's work on Google. Look for the scenes where he's painting canyons, etc. I don't know of any other painter who is able to beautifully and simply define and express the contours and LIGHT on rock walls in the relatively simple way that he does. He paints almost exclusively on location,..so you KNOW that he has to simplify effectively.
Hope this helps.
If you should decide....don't be afraid to go right back in!,...and put in more color and light into those rocks.....;after all,..you've got the potential for one really nice painting here! Cheers,-Scott

jerryW
05-05-2003, 08:11 PM
amazing but the bottom half is most fun