PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastels 5th May - 11th May

Dark_Shades
05-04-2003, 06:14 PM
the idea is to work as quickly and loosely as possible in a set time that you give yourselves of .30mins, 45mins, 60mins and post your results - you can go back and work on your paintings later if you want to

its open to all...... and at any level..... be the humble beginner, to the plein air pastellist expert.... someone is always around to help and advise..... or just encouragement.....

the link to last weeks thread

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103995

flower
05-04-2003, 09:07 PM
Hi everyone,

this is a pic from a photo i took in wicklow over the sea, its on daler- rowney paper 150 gm it took me about 60 mins to finish hope you like it all comments welcome and appreciated

flower
05-04-2003, 09:12 PM
Hi everyone,

Getting used to the uploader button,
this is a pic i did from my camping place it took about 30 minutes and is also on daler-rowney 150 grm it was the sky in the afternoon and the trees i see from over the hedge, please comment ive a lot to learn,

flower
05-04-2003, 09:15 PM
Hi its me again,

Now i`m really getting used to the uploader button LOL, this is a quickie that i did from a card in ireland know the shadow is not right on the bottom but wanted to send it anyway, again your comments are welcome

flower
05-04-2003, 09:17 PM
sorry forgot the pic

Dark_Shades
05-05-2003, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by flower
Hi everyone,

this is a pic from a photo i took in wicklow over the sea, its on daler- rowney paper 150 gm it took me about 60 mins to finish hope you like it all comments welcome and appreciated

well Im not a landscapie person .......... but that wont stop me from commenting :evil: :D hee hee ....... I like this, like the colours used, the green has such a serene and calm feel to it, and like the whole composition..... the only thing perhaps I might change, bearing in mind as I type this I can not see your painting now, is some of the wave crests..... they are all white, not sure what too, :D , but perhaps a differing shade in places......
ok went in again and had a look, yes I would change some, to give defination of distance, as they are all the same colour ..... looking again at the greens, you have done a great job on that as so many shades, giving sense of expanse and distance ...... I think if you use the uploader at the top of the page, when people want to comment on your postings it shows on the comments and is easier to see :)

good work flower

Dark_Shades
05-05-2003, 05:26 AM
Hi everyone,

Getting used to the uploader button,
this is a pic i did from my camping place it took about 30 minutes and is also on daler-rowney 150 grm it was the sky in the afternoon and the trees i see from over the hedge, please comment ive a lot to learn,

great atmospheric sky....... lolol I wouldnt of wanted to be camping with that sky above me hee hee ...... love the addition of the trees, love the greens in those, the only thing is, though I now you were concentrating on the sky, but feel the crop is too severe, when I saw the pic first, was waiting for it to finish downloading, but it had hee hee....... (someone will prob disagree with me lol)

Dark_Shades
05-05-2003, 05:27 AM
sorry forgot the pic

..... now I bet this is a guiness bottle lololol....... wonderful colours in this flower ....... like it

..... think you have done really well

Dark_Shades
05-05-2003, 12:21 PM
Come on EJ ....... Im dying to see what you bought

*tapping fingers impatiently :)

E-J
05-05-2003, 02:21 PM
flower ~ I agree with Dawn about the crop on that second image: it's very severe and I too was expecting more to download. But you're clearly having fun with the pastels and it's nice to see you here :)

Dawn ... my mother let me have a couple of brass vases/cups that I'd been admiring, and she bought me a blue satin slip to use in still life setups :D I painted them this afternoon, but psst, don't tell anyone: I did them in another medium...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=21516

Drumbeat-trish
05-05-2003, 02:42 PM
Love that blue slip E-J - now are you going to do it again in pastel??????

Hey flower -like all your pics. Beautiful colours especially in he first one and the Irish window- bet Frank (fmalo) would love it :)

Dark_Shades
05-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by E-J

Dawn ... my mother let me have a couple of brass vases/cups that I'd been admiring, and she bought me a blue satin slip to use in still life setups :D I painted them this afternoon, but psst, don't tell anyone: I did them in another medium...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=21516 [/B]

You Bounder !!!! :eek:

..... I tell you EJ we must of been on the same wave length this weekend..... I was also looking for material ..... (didnt get nuffink though :( )...... lol up until now didnt think of using me underwear...... lolol..... watch out for me bloomers turning up in still lifes .... ROFLMAO.... and knickerless too :o

...... hey your still life is good ...... like the reflection of the apple ..... well done to you ...... hey why not do it in pastels too ...... and then killing all these birds with one stone..... can then enter it into sundivers project :D ..... dahhhhh taaaaaahhhhh !!

E-J
05-05-2003, 02:52 PM
Dawn... first the pinny and now bloomers, LOL ~ do you realise what a strange mental image I'm building up of you? :D

The project is using just the 3 primaries + white, so might be tricky in pastels, but oh yes, I predict that these objects will be appearing in pastel still lifes again and again until you're all thoroughly sick of them.

Trish ~ thanks :)

Dark_Shades
05-05-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by E-J
Dawn... first the pinny and now bloomers, LOL ~ do you realise what a strange mental image I'm building up of you? :D

Trish ~ thanks :)

well its all in keeping with the Victorian Maid ...... innit :)

flower
05-05-2003, 03:09 PM
Hi,

Thanks Dawn,
EJ
Drumbeat

for your comments, im having a lot of fun with pastels and with the motivation from you all.

I should have added a hedge with the trees but didnt trust myself thought it looked cut off myself but if i hadnt posted when i did would have them still sitting here, i think it was more the act of uploading and thinking ok now youve done it.

Welcome all your comments really want to learn, hope we dont get a sky like that one too soon but ill do it again with the lovely blue skies were getting at the moment and of course with the hedge so you can see it LOL

flower
05-05-2003, 03:12 PM
Hi EJ

Just wanted to say i looked up your pic with the satin blue slip, its beautiful please do it in pastel so i can see how you do it, pretty pretty please

guilliame
05-05-2003, 03:38 PM
Hey Flower welcome,like the feeling of distance in this but the wave crests concern me the top 2 are bigger than the ones below,maybe they could be boats,no matter small point its nice.
I also was waiting for the rest of the picture,but that sky looks windy and stormy:D
EJ really nice painting look forward to seeing some pastel paintings of the brass vase ,super well done:clap:

flower
05-05-2003, 03:51 PM
Hi guilliame,

Thanks for commenting, as i like seascapes i must take more notice of how i do the waves, appreciate your comments only way to learn

guilliame
05-05-2003, 03:58 PM
Meant to put it in this thread,not a new thread,its 45 mins work and yes its me in the water:D

flower
05-05-2003, 04:12 PM
Hi guilliame,

Is that you with the shark fin? Only joking............i like this pic cos there seems to be so much atmosphere from the movement of the boat and the water, everyone in the boat seems to be enjoying themselves, great.

angecald
05-06-2003, 01:19 AM
Flower, I love your seascape. The colours are wonderful, and it has a great sense of space and air. It's hard to get a big slice of Mother Earth onto a piece of paper and you've done it well. For my money, the waves are fine. I like the others you posted, too, but the first one is outstanding.

guilliame
05-06-2003, 12:25 PM
Thanks Flower i did it so quick, i should have done the tip of the water ski red,didn't notice that i could have called it jaws:D

flower
05-06-2003, 07:13 PM
Hi everyone,

my next 40 minutes sketch at my lake today all comments welcome please

gredelin
05-07-2003, 03:13 PM
Great work here as usual!

flower - love the bright green against the soft background in your water pics

guillaume - what fun!

As some of you might remember, we're moving! We've left our house full of boxes and junk, and moved into a hotel where we'll be staying for three weeks while our stuff is shipped to Europe. The container leaves Friday so we have a little overlap for disassembling furniture and finishing off packing.

Anyway, back at the hotel while the boys are napping, there's absolutely NOTHING I can do except watch TV and paint. And this is apparently what it takes for me to join in this thread... I was so bored I snuck out and stole some flowers and arranged them in a selter glass on a pillowcase.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2003/13872-gthflowers6.jpg
Schmincke pastels on Canson, about 1 hour over two days total.

I'd like to take this a little further, the lilacs wilted on me so I'll have to steal new ones and give them some definition. Please give suggestions on background color and cropping! And anything else that comes to mind, of course. The glass is leaning a bit, isn't it?

Sorry for writing a novel
/Gunilla

Dark_Shades
05-07-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by gredelin
Great work here as usual!

flower - love the bright green against the soft background in your water pics

guillaume - what fun!

As some of you might remember, we're moving! We've left our house full of boxes and junk, and moved into a hotel where we'll be staying for three weeks while our stuff is shipped to Europe. The container leaves Friday so we have a little overlap for disassembling furniture and finishing off packing.

Anyway, back at the hotel while the boys are napping, there's absolutely NOTHING I can do except watch TV and paint. And this is apparently what it takes for me to join in this thread... I was so bored I snuck out and stole some flowers and arranged them in a selter glass on a pillowcase.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2003/13872-gthflowers6.jpg
Schmincke pastels on Canson, about 1 hour over two days total.

I'd like to take this a little further, the lilacs wilted on me so I'll have to steal new ones and give them some definition. Please give suggestions on background color and cropping! And anything else that comes to mind, of course. The glass is leaning a bit, isn't it?

Sorry for writing a novel
/Gunilla

.. ohhhh this is lovely Gunilla .... sorry couldnt say to add anything..... I like as it is.... well with the glass straight hee hee... thats would only be a matter of rotating the image a bit

..... lovely one...... where are you moving to?

Dark_Shades
05-07-2003, 03:34 PM
Hi everyone,

my next 40 minutes sketch at my lake today all comments welcome please

.... sorry flower ....... lolol.... didnt that sound like Charlie Williams hee hee..... nearly missed this...... I really like your water and reflection

E-J
05-07-2003, 03:37 PM
Very pretty, Gunilla. I wish I could work in that lovely loose way! It makes for such a lively image when you can see all the pastel strokes. I get so caught up in just trying to put down the right colour that I don't pay enough attention to the quality of the marks I'm making.

Patricia ~ Your sketch has a very dreamy feel to it. The reflections in the water are great.

E-J
05-07-2003, 05:41 PM
Monday was oils, Tuesday was life drawing... all good stuff but I was happy today to get back to my pastels!

This was one hour on green Canson. I was trying to sketch more loosely, make more varied marks than usual and not be obsessed with covering every millimetre of the paper with pastel. Also wanted to try this subject to see if I fancy doing a more considered version. Not sure if I came to any conclusions but had fun anyway :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2003/13865-brass2.jpg

Dark_Shades
05-07-2003, 06:09 PM
this looks good EJ ...... love the apple, and I like the reflection is this one better than that other medium hee hee... though that one was good..... this is great ...... definately got the feel of the metal

....... did I/we miss your posting of the 'life' sketch?

flower
05-07-2003, 06:16 PM
Hi E-J,

I think this is lovely the blue is really one of my favourite colours, i like the theme too youve so much detail without it showing when you know what i mean.

dawn, had a giggle havnt seen him for years used to love the "Comedians show" thanks for your comment too, you cant believe how happy i am that im doing water without a hint of blue LOL

flower
05-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Hi Gredelin,

Arent stolen flowers so much nicer to paint? I like it very much and i think its obvious that the glass is tilted cos most of the blooms are on the left hand side, that you found something so imaginitive to do stuck in a hotel room must be worth a mention

E-J
05-07-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Dark_Shades
....... did I/we miss your posting of the 'life' sketch?

Dawn, I attended a life drawing class yesterday ~ the first one, so we were just starting to learn about measuring proportions and were only using graphite. I posted my efforts in the Figure forum. Thought it would be a bit cheeky to keep linking out from this thread to stuff I'm doing in other media!

I enjoyed my flirtation with oils and would like to play with them some more, but pastels are my true love :)

pampe
05-07-2003, 08:04 PM
oh, this was hard..there was something about knowing the alarm would ring:eek:

30 minutes...from photo in RIL

Craig Houghton
05-07-2003, 10:28 PM
Since it's open to all skill levels, here's my contribution for the week :)

And, thanks everyone for the warm reception here -- i'm thrilled to have found such an active and enthusiastic forum!

This is rembrandt and sennelier on black colourfix pastel primer (fine-tooth) - 60 minutes - i vaguelly took the castle proportions from a photo by pressing a white litho crayon outline on the back of tracing paper against my paper

:)

-Craig

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2003/21273-castle.JPG

ps -by the way, after actually looking at my post i went back and fixed the way the sky was interrupted by the castle - the halo blur thing - but that's outside the 60 :P

ps.s - i've realized that if i could have done it over again, i probably would have used tape to mask-out the castle to avoid that evil halo thing - ahh well, learning :D

E-J
05-08-2003, 04:15 AM
Craig ~ luscious blues and greens ~ and I love the bridge :)

Dark_Shades
05-08-2003, 04:17 AM
EJ ...... get to work!!! ......... lol or are you already there :)

Craig...... love the light on the greens ........ very moody/atmospheric piece

Dark_Shades
05-08-2003, 04:18 AM
Pampe ..... love your in the face colours

....... ok .... Im off to work....... byeeeeeeee

E-J
05-08-2003, 04:23 AM
Dawn ... LOL, nope, sitting around in my dressing gown with a cup of tea ... it's getting late, tho, so thanks for reminding me :D

You got any new pastel sketches to show us, or are you working on another celebrity portrait?

flower
05-08-2003, 06:57 AM
Hi Pampe,

Vibrant red love it

Hi Craig,

Like your bridge too, and the colours real dreamy like a castle out of a fairy tale, do you live near stockport?

Dark_Shades
05-08-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by E-J
Dawn ... LOL, nope, sitting around in my dressing gown with a cup of tea ... it's getting late, tho, so thanks for reminding me :D

You got any new pastel sketches to show us, or are you working on another celebrity portrait?

ok ... on my lunch break now :) .... ha! sad or wot!! ..... am at home....... Noooo EJ, got nuffink on the go...... wahhhhhhh

Smudger
05-08-2003, 11:01 AM
:clap: Craig... love it... it has a mystical feel to it, great colours too:clap:

flower
05-08-2003, 03:19 PM
Hi Dawn,
Im sending something through to you wait and .........................see..................... LOL

E-J
05-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Yes, I know... another apple... BORING!

This is an oil pastel and was supposed to be for Jamie's Primary Palette Project, but I found it impossible to get a shadow colour that was either dark enough or a convincing colour so I stopped after one hour and left it as a sketch.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2003/13865-op_primaries.jpg

flower
05-08-2003, 05:31 PM
Hi E-J,
What is wrong with this apple????????????its a lovely colour and has a lovely background, could be a blue satin slip LOL, you are helping us newbies to learn i think thats great, ive been trying today with op and wish i could have got this effect but it was too warm, thanks for posting and showing

E-J
05-08-2003, 05:41 PM
its a lovely colour and has a lovely background, could be a blue satin slip LOL

LOL Patricia, you've rumbled me... my cunning method is to use the same subjects over and over again so that at least you'll know in advance what they're supposed to be :D

you are helping us newbies to learn i think thats great, ive been trying today with op and wish i could have got this effect but it was too warm, thanks for posting and showing

You're sweet :) To my mind I'm still a newbie myself: I only joined this thread and started pastelling in February! Wendy [Sundiver] is my oil pastel hero ~ see if you can find some of the previous weeks' threads with her op still lifes and landscapes, they're terrific.

ginatec
05-08-2003, 05:54 PM
Just catching up on the latest thread after my holiday. There are some great paintings this week...but what is happening!!! Satin undies, bloomers and aprons ROFLOL:D :D

MarciaJane
05-08-2003, 07:14 PM
Hey Flower

Love your pics. You really are getting the hang of pastels now!!!
Lovely colours - especially the one with the sea.

Marcia

Mo.
05-08-2003, 08:06 PM
Hi everyone, I've been so tied up with my WIP, I've not had chance to visit here, but what I see is wonderful.:clap:

Flower.. you are developing a very unique style, I like it, the soft backgrounds, then picking out your focal point with sharpness.. it's working fine.. go ahead and develop it. :)

Lots of really good quickie paintings and nice to see that the OP's are being given a try... a little tip, if you find they are too soft/sticky to use, pop them or your painting into the fridge for a little while, or use some gel cooler bags to sit them on or a bag of frozen peas :D ...it does work.:)

Great works everyone.:clap: :clap:
Cheers,
Mo.

angeline
05-09-2003, 04:29 AM
Wow i don't pop in for a couple of days and look at the way this thread goes!
Ds I am getting worried about you hun ;)
Flower......your pictures are looking better with every one....where do you get the time!
Guilliame........your pictures have such movement in them.......wonderfull stuff.
Gunilla........wd on your resoursefullness........lol looks good to me.
EJ......what can i say.......your apples are always looking good.......love the reflection you got in on the one on weds.
Craig.......hello that castle is brill....love the dreamy feel to it.
Pampe......wow thats red! wd for 30 mins!
I'm not sure I can fit in a quicky this week but love whats here to look at.

flower
05-09-2003, 04:45 AM
Hi everyone,

Thankyou so much for commenting on my pics, its really motivating for me and im so glad that i found my way to pastels cos I love working with them.

Im walking on cloud 9 today, LOL

Dark_Shades
05-09-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by angeline
Ds I am getting worried about you hun ;)

huh? :confused: ...... wod I do

Dark_Shades
05-09-2003, 09:48 AM
well cant find much to inspire me lately :crying: ..... so Ive been doodling :p

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2003/12116-doodle.jpg

..... went in search of something to do, and came across one of our own Louie the Cats photo...... its sort of one of those, bronze type statuettes from the 20's (I think)

........ any thoughts to a colour for the background....... I thought I might draw it out again and try and put realistic skin tones in, and submit both to Sundivers project..... as so far Ive only got half of one painting done :p

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2003/12116-bronze.jpg

E-J
05-09-2003, 05:11 PM
E-J in 'no apples today' shocker!! :D

Lost track of time, but I suspect this took me over an hour if you include the drawing. Those big ol' Canson holes are very visible in this one and usually that annoys me but today, for some reason, I like them. It should be obvious that the green lump in the middle is a pear, but in case you're wondering, the other shapes are peaches! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2003/13865-peaches.jpg

Dawn, wish I could help. Looks like you've already got a lot of complementary purple and orangey tones in the figure, so I'm not sure what to suggest for a background colour. Green? or blue? Or maybe redo it on that black paper of yours? I'm not much help, am I :D

Dark_Shades
05-09-2003, 06:32 PM
well this is what I came up with ........... so just need to define some things..... fiddle here n there..... and move on

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2003/12116-bronze1.jpg

guilliame
05-09-2003, 07:32 PM
EJ,i really like your fruit and fabric sketches,will you work on it some more or leave as is :D

DS,love your little statue figure,talking about the drawing:D i think the background is fine as is maybe define where the light is coming from then just add some shadow and highlights:)

Ok well this is my last 50 min for this weeks thread:D

E-J
05-09-2003, 07:35 PM
guilli, where's yer sketch? :D

I might do a bit more work on mine in the morning... had a glass of wine so I'd better hold off for now :)

guilliame
05-09-2003, 07:36 PM
Its getting late i guess it would be a good idea to post my pic:D

doe
05-09-2003, 10:17 PM
Sorry for being so AWOL lately, and see I'm missing plenty!

Patricia - glad to see you using the uploader, your landscapes have a very soft look to them, very nice!

Guilli - love your action sea scape and also your newest portrait!

Guni - What a great contraband floral! How exciting to be moving to Europe too!

EJ - Super assortment; apple, brass thing & apple on a slip and non-apple painting on what - a white slip?(By the way, all fruits are recognizable, you didn't have to name them. Maybe since you're so used to apples the other fruits seem foreign to you.)

Dawn - I like the monochrome statue painting as is and the lamp is a good study as well!

Pitifully, all I have is this one thing, a favorite pot, 8 x 10 ish, about 35 min. on blue Canson:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2003/12181-Pot.jpg

The scanner seems to have some trouble with color separation, don't know how this is going to look, tried adjusting in Photoshop and it still seems not right.

My original plan was to do two pots tonight but after this one was done I walked the dogs and ran into neighbors that talked alot, so now I'll have to wait til tomorrow.

E-J
05-10-2003, 06:08 AM
guilli, I really like the loose way you tackled the hair ~ it works well!

doe, this was the same blue slip but I tried to disguise it by lightening it a bit ~ concentrating on the shiny bits :D You've done a lot in 35 mins, would like to have seen a companion piece. Dang those neighbours!!

Dark_Shades
05-10-2003, 12:55 PM
love the inside of your pot Doe......

lol Guilly...... you cheeky :evil: :D .... ha! .... great drawing there ...... who is it?

ok this is about n hour..... trying out those senn's ...... yup, very crumbly ...... floor is covered not to mention me..... in green dust
:evil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/12116-archway.jpg

E-J
05-10-2003, 01:02 PM
hey Dawn

Did you do this en plein air in your world famous garden? I like the look of the unblended greenery overhanging the bricks. I take it you're feeling more inspired today :D

Pity about the crumbliness of the Senneliers... they make such gorgeous colours.

Dark_Shades
05-10-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by E-J
hey Dawn

Did you do this en plein air in your world famous garden? I like the look of the unblended greenery overhanging the bricks. I take it you're feeling more inspired today :D

Pity about the crumbliness of the Senneliers... they make such gorgeous colours.

Unfortunately No to both :crying: :D

angeline
05-10-2003, 01:48 PM
DS I just love this garden one.
Doe the pot looks really interesting.
EJ I had to laugh (It should be obvious that the green lump in the middle is a pear, but in case you're wondering, the other shapes are peaches! ) good fruit again.

doe
05-11-2003, 09:23 AM
Well I missed some peoples work, guess they weren't uploaded via the uploader, sorry.

Pam - your colors are exquisite - so bright and fresh and the crop was interesting too, reminds be of Georgia O'Keefe.

Craig - a very nice landscape, the land parts are especially well done, good colors and forms.

Dawn - that's a good landscape you've started, yes the senneliers are crumbly and very soft - that's a nice green there though!

I worked another 10 min on the pot and then did another one that could use more work:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/12181-Pot.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/12181-Pot2.jpg

E-J
05-11-2003, 09:34 AM
doe, that first pot is really looking good. If I can just make one observation ... I think the bottom left of the pot might need a slightly deeper curve. But my own ellipses are terrible ~ that's why I've given up tackling cups, jugs, pots etc :D

Love the look of your shadows now!

doe
05-11-2003, 09:46 AM
You're right EJ - that was my main area of adjustment, the bottom curve is more curved than the top, so I'll take another stab at it, since it's still off! One of these days I'll conquer these eliptical challenges, that's why I keep doing them.

ginatec
05-11-2003, 11:01 AM
Great work on the figure Dawn and the garden scene is looking good...I hope you were plein aire and that all the green dust just blew away!
Nice work on the pot Doe!

Dark_Shades
05-11-2003, 11:27 AM
forgot to say Gina...... hope you had a nice holiday, and welcome back...... wheres me stick of rock :)

.... and wheres some paintings? ;)

erinj
05-11-2003, 11:48 AM
Hi guys,

What a wonderful week you've all had! Thought I'd check in. I'm sorry to say that I didn't paint this week though.

Flower, your style is dreamy! Nice color. You tell a story. I really like your work, especially the boat scene! Your paintings make me think of a sci fi trilogy i read once, by CS Lewis. I really wanted to be in this 'world of color' that one of the books described. I want to be there in your paintings too!

Guilliame, you are still inspiring me to try figures. Love that you put these in your paintings. Took a workshop once with an oil painter, Kim English, who also encouraged us to do just what your doing! Your portrait is very nice too. The water in 'spash' is very convincing!

Gredeline, love your stolen flowers! (Congrats on moving AND painting at the same time!) The lights and darks and shapes of your flowers read very well!! Very beautiful!

E-J, I think my fav pic. of the week is your apple, vase and blue. You should frame this one!! Very, very nice. Love your pear and peaches too on big tooth paper. The fruit looks real and fuzzy! Fabric is wonderful!

Pampe, your style is exciting. I really am inspired by your composition and color. I want to see lots more of what you are doing!

Craig, very nice landscape! Love your deep rich color!! More, more!

Doe, your pots are really coming along. I love the color in all your work and these pots are especially nice, the background choices too. The light is wonderful on them now, and the decorations on the pot read so well!

Oh, I almost forgot Dark Shades! I love your little landscape sketch!! I hope you can continue on that one Dark Shades, and the color on your figure is very nice!

You all are so inspiring. Very good work!

Keep it up! Maybe I will be able to paint this coming week too...

Happy Mother's Day,

Erin

E-J
05-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Last sketch of the week. 45 mins, from a photo I took in Sydney. Supposed to be quick and impressionistic.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/13865-sydney.jpg

Dark_Shades
05-11-2003, 03:35 PM
Nice EJ ....... like the use of added colours in the buildings to give it interest

flower
05-11-2003, 06:39 PM
Hi everyone,

E-J love your pic from Sydney, how do you get the vegetation to look like that?

Erinj, what can i say ty so much for your comments

Dawn love this pic of what i would say a typical english garden, get those greens swinging LOL, like your lady too really looks like a bronze statue

Doe this pot reminds me of one i have in my garden great

E-J i know its a pear and peaches LOL

Would just like to thank everyone whose commented on my pics this has been a very upbuilding week for me and i look forward to next week

E-J
05-11-2003, 07:50 PM
E-J love your pic from Sydney, how do you get the vegetation to look like that?

Patricia ... I rarely have a clue what I'm doing you know :D ... I just went at it quite vigorously with a couple of greens, a yellow and a black :) Thought perhaps I'd left too much of the paper showing through but I've decided I like it. Did this for the Pastel Postcard Project. Thanks also to Dawn for noticing the colours :) and to Erin all for the thoughtful and nice comments on the week's sketches.

doe
05-12-2003, 08:25 AM
EJ - your landscape is a nice end to the week and the paper showing through looks like light showing through, so I like it!

Looking forward to what this week will bring!