PDA

View Full Version : spotted owl

indiana_jim
05-04-2003, 04:58 PM
hello everyone....i just joined up last night...i love this place....here is a 5x7 i burned on bass wood of a spotted owl...and added highlights with white chalk in the end....i call it "silent night"

Sylvielu
05-04-2003, 05:07 PM
Those feathers look so REAL! I've never tried wood burning and I don't know much about it but I see very good results.

Mandy Valin
05-04-2003, 05:10 PM
Wow, he looks so real!! The feathers musta taken forever, but theyre perfect :D

indiana_jim
05-04-2003, 06:07 PM
thank you gals!...woodburning is a lot of fun,,,you can get pretty creative after the line drawing,....its sort of like drawing with a really hot pencil,..i still use pencil to map everything out in the beginning....thanks for stopping by!:p
JIm

k9artist
05-04-2003, 08:49 PM
Welcome!! This is very nice!! I tried pyrography once!! LOL!
Hope to see more of your work!!
Dana

echidna
05-04-2003, 11:55 PM
welcome!!! ytour owl is beautiful. ahve you been doing pyrography long? i'd love to try it, but i know i'd just end up setting my house on fire:D
~Echidna

Crias
05-05-2003, 10:19 AM
Yeah- another pyro person :) I dabble in it, among many other mediums. There are not too many regular pyrographers here, but a few come from time to time. Of course scratchbaord was that way when i joined too, and now it is popping up everywhere :D

Welcome and I love your little owl!! Please show us more.

Lahree
05-05-2003, 12:21 PM
The owl is beautiful! I laughed when I read the title because I am from Oregon, from a lumber town, and this little guy causes quite a stir. :) Beautiful work!!

Axl
05-05-2003, 01:59 PM
I love this so much what an interesting technique! Beautiful work

BTDogMom
05-05-2003, 02:30 PM
This is fabulous!!!:clap: :clap:

crazeejumper
05-05-2003, 02:45 PM
That's gorgeous! So realistic!! :clap:

Paul Hopkinson
05-05-2003, 05:25 PM
This is so good. I admire you guys who can do this kind of thing!:clap:

Paul

justjo
05-05-2003, 05:26 PM
awesome piece of work...

fantabulous!
looking forward to seeing more

indiana_jim
05-05-2003, 06:51 PM
You guys are outstanding!!...thanks for the replies.
ive never actually seen one of there in the wild,,,they must be pretty sneaky characters,....i found a baby owl,,,,but it was a great horned owl,....wich looks like a baby eagle,,,they are all eyes and feet.
this place is bigger then what im use to,i havent had a chance to look around at everything,...i feel like a kid turned lose at walt disney world.:D

indiana_jim
05-05-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by CraftyHopo
This is so good. I admire you guys who can do this kind of thing!:clap:

Paul
hi paul...you should try it out,...it really isnt a lot different then pencil drawing,..its tricky to get use to shading,...but ive always had much better luck doing the basic line drawing 1st,,,and then shading with tight circles using just the tip,....the square peices of bass wood are a lot smoother then the round ones,,,and plus they dont have the knot in the middle.
hope you try it out.
--jim

indiana_jim
05-05-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by justjo
awesome piece of work...

fantabulous!
looking forward to seeing more
thanks JustJo....hopefully i can get started a new woodburning befor too long,...ive had trouble finishing things lately....my last 2 or 3 things ended up in the garbage...so im kind of in a slump in a way

indiana_jim
05-05-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by k9artist
Welcome!! This is very nice!! I tried pyrography once!! LOL!
Hope to see more of your work!!
Dana
thanks Dana....:p i have surfed around a little...i loved your rott weiller<----?...i hope this cool spell check thing works?...not sure on the spelling.......do you paint with oils?....ive been getting a little curious about painting lately but i have less then 2 hours experience,....im still pretty gunshy when i think back of how my 1st attempts at painting went.
so i will be spying on you people that paint...mabye i can pick up a few hints

indiana_jim
05-05-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by echidna
welcome!!! ytour owl is beautiful. ahve you been doing pyrography long? i'd love to try it, but i know i'd just end up setting my house on fire:D
~Echidna

LOL :D --- so far i havent ever burned any furnature,,,,but i did burn my hand back in the good old days......note to self:drinking and wood burning dont mix :D

indiana_jim
05-05-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Crias
Yeah- another pyro person :) I dabble in it, among many other mediums. There are not too many regular pyrographers here, but a few come from time to time. Of course scratchbaord was that way when i joined too, and now it is popping up everywhere :D

Welcome and I love your little owl!! Please show us more.
thanks for the welcome crias---i know what you mean,woodburning isnt really as popular as a lot of mediums,ive only met acouple people that really get in to it.,,,i think what bothers people is thinking that mistakes are too permanent/?
i usually burn really lightly at 1st,,until im sure its the shape i want,,,and if i make mistakes,,,,,ooops i mean WHEN i make mistakes :D i just scrape them away with a pearing knife.
take care
JIM

indiana_jim
05-05-2003, 07:15 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Axl_Happy_Goth
I love this so much what an interesting technique! Beautiful work [/QUOTE
thanks AXL_HAPPY
Hopefully i can do a step by step of how i approach woodburning....then mabye other pyrographers can add tips or other ways that they do things....i only use one tip 90% of the time.

jjsangel
05-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Welcome Indiana_Jim. This is sooooooooo good. I just love the look of the wood burned image. You have done such a great job.:clap: :clap:

SILKNSATIN
06-19-2003, 10:48 PM
wow you are so good:) this is beautiful.

kayek
06-19-2003, 11:55 PM
Wow! This is terrific.. and such an interesting medium, Here is one technique more to add to my list of wanna do's....someday YOu have done an amazing likeness on this...Well done...
Kaye

amanda
06-20-2003, 12:23 AM
What amazing work, this is just lovely. I love the way you have been able to create texture.

Sher
06-20-2003, 12:26 AM
You are multi talented like so many of the wet canvas artists!
Very beautiful, Jim.

Chelle
06-20-2003, 06:22 AM
OMG this is just stunning! If it was a pencil drawing it would be amazing but wood burning!!! I'm blown away.

Sandra B
06-20-2003, 06:44 AM
Jim -- Welcome to WC -- You have a wonderful talent! I can think of no other medium that takes this much patience.

This thread has evoked memories of wood-burning on my grandmothers farm...in fact, she still hangs the "Home-Sweet-Home" placque that I made at the tender age of 9....the watermelon drips are still embeded in the wood. You see, I once was muti-talented -- I could eat AND create at the same time! Alas, a talent I no longer possess...:D