PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Varnish that's Too Glossy

Wintermoon
03-20-2012, 08:40 PM
I just joined the website; wow what a fabulous tool for artists. I have painted in watercolor for 20 years and soft pastel for about 7. Finally I began oil painting last year and am loving it (plein air so far). In order to avoid inhaling spray finishing varnish on several of my dry oil painting, I brushed on Utrecht Damar varnish. Whoa what a mistake; it is way too glossy. This morning I bought and sprayed on Liquitex soluvar matt finish varnish hoping it would change the gloss but it did not. It appears that the Liquitex directions state to wait 3 days to apply more matt spray varnish but I am I just wasting my time. Will the painting still appear glossy? Do I need to wait until this dries completely then find a product to take off all the varnish and start over using only spray varnish? The subject paintings have been sold and I have waited 8 months for these to completely dry to do this. Help!!!!

DaveGhmn
03-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Welcome to the group.

Is the Liquitex product solvent or water-based? If it's water-based, it probably won't adhere too well to the damar. If it is water-based, hopefully Liquitex has followed artistic convention and offers a solvent for removing its varnish.

I would go with a layer or two of matte damar, as long as the Utrecht glossy damar is damar + turpentine and the matte damar is damar + turpentine -- in other words, they are compatible. I know that Grumbacher makes a matte version.

You can also flatten the gloss with superfine sandpaper, pumice or rottenstone, though if you've done a thick impasto painting with high ridges, you're likely to remove the damar from the high spots. A few usable hints here: http://www.rockler.com/articles/rubbing-out-finish.cfm

RHStanley
03-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Liquitex Soluvar is removable with mineral spirits or OMS, not water. I suggest you pick up some wax medium (either Dorlands or Gamblin) and rub some over the varnish with a soft cloth for a matte finish. That should do the trick, and the wax will last as long as the varnish. But if you're still not happy, the wax medium can be taken off (along with the Soluvar) with mineral spirits.

If you find you like the look of the wax medium, it can be added directly to the varnish next time-- but do a test for the best ratio first!

Wintermoon
03-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Dave,
Thank you very much for your suggestions. The Liquitex product is the solvent based one so it is compatible with the Utrecht Damar varnish. Therefore I was hoping the matt finish "Soluvar" product would work. Maybe this was originally suggested because the person I had consulted knew that the Utrecht product was not available in a matt or satin finish. I will consult the Utrecht website and find out. Utrecht is in Philadelphia which is an hour away for me but yes, using there matt or satin Utrecht product certainly makes sense and I will try to get that. I am glad you suggested using a product to roughen up the gloss finish. I thought of that but did not know if that would be recommended - in other words I did not want to make a "mess" that may be irrepairable. It sounds like that might work and I will try that on a comparable oil pc that I had applied the - now too glossy finish - as well........my experimental pc.. There is another question: I have no idea about the answer. The manufacturer states the the Damar varnish is flexible and will not crack.....the question is do you think I can apply perhaps three applications of the matt varnish to take the place (over top of) of the glossy product. In other words, even if I do that over a week or two will it be too much varnish product on the small stretched canvas? Thanks for your help on this. Wintermoon:

SSB
03-21-2012, 02:15 AM
Dave,
Thank you very much for your suggestions. The Liquitex product is the solvent based one so it is compatible with the Utrecht Damar varnish. Therefore I was hoping the matt finish "Soluvar" product would work. Maybe this was originally suggested because the person I had consulted knew that the Utrecht product was not available in a matt or satin finish. I will consult the Utrecht website and find out. Utrecht is in Philadelphia which is an hour away for me but yes, using there matt or satin Utrecht product certainly makes sense and I will try to get that. I am glad you suggested using a product to roughen up the gloss finish. I thought of that but did not know if that would be recommended - in other words I did not want to make a "mess" that may be irrepairable. It sounds like that might work and I will try that on a comparable oil pc that I had applied the - now too glossy finish - as well........my experimental pc.. There is another question: I have no idea about the answer. The manufacturer states the the Damar varnish is flexible and will not crack.....the question is do you think I can apply perhaps three applications of the matt varnish to take the place (over top of) of the glossy product. In other words, even if I do that over a week or two will it be too much varnish product on the small stretched canvas? Thanks for your help on this. Wintermoon:

I wouldn't put a whole bunch of layers of varnish. If you can you should wait and then remove the glossy one and apply a matte. I bet the gloss will tame itself in a couple of weeks to where you may not mind so much. Then again, I have wondered whether this effect is just one's getting used to the gloss...