PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

billyjo30
05-04-2003, 02:55 PM
I am using Arches 140CP. I use artist tape and tape it to a piece of plexiglass then to prep it I wet it down. Then even when it dries it is all wavy. I'm new to watercolor and need advice!!!

pampe
05-04-2003, 03:03 PM
If you are trying to "stretch" the paper...you need to wet it first, thsn tape it down stretched, then let it dry

Hope that helps

Pam

mhimeswc
05-04-2003, 03:04 PM
If you want to wet the paper before you paint, you can't tape it down first. Wetting it makes it expand. You can tape the paper down and paint on it dry. Or, you can wet it and staple it to aboard. When I work on it wet, I just lay the wet, limp piece of paper on the plexiglass. As long as it is wet, it will stick to the plexi. As it dries, the ends may start to curl up. Then you can hold the edges down with a bulldog clip. Hope this helps.

Michelle

Uschi
05-04-2003, 08:05 PM
Use Winsor Newton 140 Cold Pressed Paper, lovely and white and it doesn't buckle. I am going to have to get in touch with them and tell them how many times I have recommended their paper HA!
Uschi

Uschi
05-04-2003, 08:07 PM
P.S. and it's cheaper !!!!!!

Strawberry Wine
05-04-2003, 08:13 PM
Bill: You have just gone about things in the wrong order. Wet first then smooth it down and tape.

BTW I have found that when using Arches, unless you are going really, really, really, wet into wet no need to stretch.

BUT: that is only my findings and opinion.

Gail