PDA

View Full Version : Slobbering opinion?

Barb'sArt
03-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Hi all,
I won't bore you with another WIP, but I just had to share my Great Dane, Gena's opinion of her portrait thus far. I'm taking a bit of a break from my Spinone series and decided to do one of my 7 yr. old Great Dane. She is my angel :angel: , and "slobber alerts" go out within a 50ft. radius whenever she shakes her head side to side. :lol: :lol:
As to giving her opinion on my rendering of her thus far? The head went side to side and she deposited the result(see red outline)...yep...slobbery painting:rolleyes: . Her Opinion? I think the slobber says it all:lol: :lol:

btw- I will be ageing her more as she has quite a bit of gray in RL.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2012/190936-Genas_slobber_trail_2.jpg

birdlady
03-20-2012, 10:26 AM
beautiful start will you be able to get that nice present she gave u off of the drawing?

Laurie

FaeLynn
03-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Oh wow Barb, she is gorgeous and what a lovely portrait you've started! Can't wait to see more as this goes.

Barb'sArt
03-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Laurie, yes, I can just wash it off. This Ampersandbord actually allows for rinsing under tap, though I can say this is the first time I will have to rely on that benefit of this surface! Thanks for your comment.

FaeLynn- thanks! Gena is my big baby, tender, sweet, and a bit shy. I love her dearly. I retired her from the show ring after her first showing. She won Best of Breed both days, but she absolutely hated every aspect of showing, so I never showed her again. She has been my constant companion since I got her at 7 months old.
As to this painting, I will post the finish in a few days. It's a bit larger than my recent, at 16 x 20.
Thanks for your comment!

nickib
03-20-2012, 11:01 AM
I just love her to pieces Barb!! This is going to be excellent!!:clap:Nicki

Orchid Lady
03-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Her head is very well done! I really like the wrinkles/furrows of her skin!

Lexycat
03-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Beautiful start Barb, will defintely be watching:)

But dont you think that is taking realism to a whole new level:lol: :wink2:

lisapencil
03-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Great start barbs, love great danes. I hope you can get the drool off, she was obviously so excited about having her portrait done :smug:

tulabula
03-20-2012, 02:51 PM
beautiful start, drool and all!

birdlady
03-20-2012, 03:19 PM
oooook gota ask.. I started a drawing on the ampersandbord or pastel bord they have and hate it .. can I take it off under the tap also? I hate to throw the board away.

Laurie

KarenESP
03-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Looks mesmerizing to me....:clap:

George924
03-20-2012, 05:34 PM
My Danes have ruined plenty of paintings in their life time...but I can't keep them away from the studio all of the time...Great looking dog

Barb'sArt
03-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks you all, I love my slobbery girl!:heart: I'll post the finish when I complete it, haven't had a moment today. Will try to finish by the weekend.

Lexy- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , yah, great idea! Now all I have to do is teach her to slobber on all my dog paintings...oh wait...she already tries to do that, so that should be NO problem:smug: :lol:. So, do ya think it could add extra value:lol: ?

Laurie, I have read that other Pastelist have rinsed off unwanted work or mispaints on Ampersand Pastelbords...but I have never rinsed a whole work off...Yet(If Gena gets any worse as to slobbering, I may:D )!
I have been able to wash off the slobber with just a damp rag, allowed it to dry and no problem!

OK, there is now a bit of jealosy going on in my household. Below is a picture of my "devil", also known, with much love, as Indy, my adopted Dobie. He is dubbed the "d" word by me daily, as he is such a mischieveous boy! I have agreed after much "nagging" by Indigo(I always call him by his full name when he is in trouble), to paint his portrait very soon. I adopted Indy while living in TX. He has come a long way from the early days,(he's been with me just over a year), so he is always a WIP:lol: . BTW, I couldn't love him more, he is a wonderful dog, even though a bit headstrong.
My devilish boy, Indy- looking very innocent, don't you think?:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2012/190936-Indy_head_shot.jpg

birdlady
03-20-2012, 08:40 PM
what a beautiful shot and yep time to stop the jealousy and do him too

look forward to it

Laurie

jbart
03-20-2012, 10:08 PM
I am glad you shared the start of this magnificent great dane. I am anxious to see the finish. Looks great!

Winky'sMom
03-21-2012, 12:41 AM
Barb this is wonderful, you can feel the love you have for your "little girl". I can't wait to see more as it progresses.

Terry Wynn
03-21-2012, 01:16 AM
Lovely beginning. Looking forward to seeing the final. She is a beauty and also the other.

Terry

ArtbyPeggy
03-21-2012, 01:44 AM
Glad you are able to get the slobber off! This is going to be a beaut!!

Jayde
03-21-2012, 01:51 AM
Terrific start Barb. How could you not draw Indy? That face says it all!

Kanielle
03-21-2012, 06:24 AM
I'd take the slobber as her seal of approval ;) It's coming along great.

midcoast
03-21-2012, 06:50 AM
So funny :)

Well, *I* like your portrait of her so far! It's lovely.

Nancy

MJGresko
03-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Good thing you weren't using LaCarte or you would have had a disaster! Lovely so far.

Barb'sArt
03-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks All for your kind comments.
I had a huge scare last night with my beloved Gena. i had to rush her to the emergency vet as she was showing what i initially thought were pre-bloat symptons. Turned out to be severe allergic reaction to what looks like a couple of wasp stings. She is resting comfortably now, out of the "shock" scenario she was in last night.
Haven't had anytime to work on the painting, just glad my girl will be OK.

Winky'sMom
03-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Oh my goodness, I know how scared for her you must have been. I am so glad she is recovering and will be fine. Give her a hug for me. Love your boy too, that photo is wonderful. You can see the mischief in his eyes!

evartpat
03-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Your portrait of Gena looks great so far...despite her "Remarque"...LOL! :D

birdlady
03-21-2012, 07:52 PM
OH gosh my heart had a gulp when I read your post. SO SO glad she is ok and headed back to being a normal dog again. I hope you have calmed down and can relax now.

Laurie

Kanielle
03-22-2012, 05:20 AM
Glad to hear she is okay, we had a similar scare with our Labrador after he tried eating a wasp :rolleyes:

skappy
03-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Great start Barbara
Glad to know she is fine, Those pets I was to the vet this morning too cat is ok
Robert

bluemoonstar
03-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Beautiful head on Gena, and have to lol about Indigo. We have 2 Siberians and whenever one gets "too much attention", the other one comes over to interrupt & get a piece of the action too. Dogs siblings are so funny!

chammi kaiser
03-27-2012, 03:33 AM
They are both beautiful and your portrait of Gena is going to be a real winner. Would you ever be able to part with it? Stayed with friend in SA who have a Great Dane. I never needed a bath or rather needed more than one - a real sloppy , affectionate slobberer!!!!!

Barb'sArt
03-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Thanks ALL for your comments!
Chammi, NO, I'd never be able to part with this painting...but a bit of slobber might give my other dog paintings a more realistic feel:lol: Just kidding, I prefer to paint w/o the slobber strings.

I've had just a bit of time to do a bit more.
I was originally going to put her on her pillow, but now I'm thinking of a BG of flowers, as she is quite the 'Gardener":wink2: . Need to get on the BG before I go any further.:crossfingers:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2012/190936-Gena_portrait_wip_2.jpg Sorry for the glare on the right side, taken in studio light at night.

nickib
03-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Just going to be beautiful Barb!!!!:clap:Nicki

ArtbyPeggy
03-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Barb this is gorgeous! He looks like he's just going to get up and walk right off that page! I love how he already pops off the page!!

Lexycat
03-30-2012, 03:12 AM
She looks so regal and elegant, and love the alert intelligence in the eyes/expression - beautiful work, I am following......

VickiB
03-30-2012, 03:24 AM
Great Danes are such amazing dogs I think they are the gentle giants of the dog world. My twin sister had one called Tiny, my grandparents had one too his name was Dino. LOL the slobber is unavoidable but as a little kid I always remember having to dodge the tail slap. Love your painting Barb looking forward to the next instalment.
Vicki

Barb'sArt
03-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks Peggy, Lexy and VickiB!
I love my girlie, slobber and all!
This one is taking me a long time as the size of 16 x 20 is larger than I normally work in Pastel(mostly pencils on this one). But, I felt like she deserves a "presence" as I intend on hanging this one as well as Indy's(when I get to his) above my mantel.
I'm also slow because I had changed my mind about the BG. I now intend to place her in a garden of gladiolus, having done a bit of gardening:wink2:
So I work slowly as I am formulating the Bg in my head first!:o :o

Karen70
03-30-2012, 11:43 AM
That expression and the ears - stunning!

evartpat
03-30-2012, 11:44 AM
This is turning out fabulous!! The personality of your baby really shines through...:)

FromtheDeep
03-31-2012, 01:09 AM
I'm following the progress. Very nice :) and a very beautiful dog!

bjcpaints
04-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Beautiful work and I will check back!

Barb'sArt
04-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks ALL for your kind comments!

Geez! Life has been "interesting" lately and so this piece has been more like a marathon project(Sorry about that)! Interesting = I was bitten by a tick...not so bad you'd think...but now being treated for what Dr. says is onset of Lyme disease. Funny thing is that neither of my dogs have ticks...I picked this ONE up on a walk through the woods. Guess I need to use their preventative:lol: .
Anyway, antibiotics are doing their thing and I'm feeling better.

Now, this piece started out with me thinking of painting Gena on her pillow, but as it sometimes happens, that changed.
I am going to title this one "The Gardener", and so I hope you can see by this update, where I am headed(or trying to go).
Gena loves "helping":wink2: my garden, and this image reflects many of her helpful attempts through her life thus far...gotta love her!:angel:
I am not good at painting flowers, so I hope this is reading OK. I have alot still to do, the right side of the painting will also be in flowers(gladiolus type) and I can use any advice on what I have so far!
I have just seen that the nose looks "wonked" will have to fix that!
Thanks for any comments!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2012/190936-Gena_portrait_wip_4.jpg

Hoofnpaw
04-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Looking awesome! I love her so far...and love her slobber signature as well!

Sean

birdlady
04-04-2012, 10:37 PM
love how its coming along and if you continue with the rest of the glads the way they are now it should look great. I must say I have a problem trying to differentiate the front paw from the back one. OH how I love that face

Laurie

ArtbyPeggy
04-05-2012, 12:51 AM
Not sure why this one didn't show up before? Deleted it and re-wrote below...Sorry :o

ArtbyPeggy
04-05-2012, 12:57 AM
Barb :eek: to the tick and Lyme disease!

:lol: Love the expression on Gena's face :D
I think your flowers with their bent and broken stems are reading exactly right! Especially with her laying right there with that precious expression on her face :lol: :thumbsup:

Lexycat
04-05-2012, 04:24 AM
Fab work as always Barb, I am loving that sky!!!!

Barb'sArt
05-03-2012, 06:55 PM
I'm so terribly sorry for not responding to your latest posts, which I thank you immensly for.

With my heart breaking, I must tell you that my sweet, dearly beloved Gena, crossed over to the bridge yesterday evening.
I rushed her to my vet with definate bloat. Unfortunately, she had torsioned by the time we arrived at the vet's office. He tried everything to save her, but she crossed while snuggled in my arms. My dear beautiful girl gave me one last hug.
Looking back on the previous scare(posted previoiusly), I now suspect it was definately a pre-bloat warning.

It's also very unsettling to me that even before last night, I just couldn't bring myself to finish her portrait before. It made me anxious and unnerved, whenever I tried to sit and work on it. I don't know how else to explain that feeling....like something dreadful was to happen.

Over the last month or so, she had been a bit less enthusiastic about mealtime, which i and the Vet attributed to normal slow down due to age...now i wonder if she knew what was to come.

Last night, when I returned from the Vet's office, comforting her sidekick "Indy", I took the yet unfinished portrait and put it in the closet.
I don't know when I will feel up to finishing it.
This was so sudden and for the most part(given my Vet's previous diagnosis), unexpected.

Indy(my sweet Dobie) and I miss Gena terribly, there aren't words to express what this wonderful gentle soul meant to me. She enriched my life in countless ways, each will be greatly missed.
Rest easy my beautiful friend, I will never forget you.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2012/190936-Gena_at_Park.jpg

ArtbyPeggy
05-03-2012, 07:20 PM
OH NO Barb! I am so sorry!!
My heart goes out to you and I am sending you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Peggy

Terry Wynn
05-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Please accept my sincere condolences for the loss of your family member, dear Gena. You are right to put the painting aside for a while and come back to it when you are not crying while painting. Now that slobber is her signature. It is a beautiful painting though and I'm glad you did the garden background.

My best to you and your family through this difficult time.

Terry

nickib
05-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Oh man!!! I have tears running down my face as I read this. Such a terrible sad time for you. So sorry.Sending my prayers your way for a little comfort,:crying::crying: Nicki

birdlady
05-03-2012, 10:35 PM
OH Barb I am so so very sorry for your sudden loss. That is heart breaking in the worst way. The memories will help you thro this and the drawing of her ,WHEN you are ready, to pull it back out will show the love between the 2 of you. Gentle hugs to you

Laurie

tulabula
05-04-2012, 03:42 AM
Oh NO! I am so very sorry! Rip sweet Gena

coconut
05-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Oh Barb - I am so sorry - I feel heart-broken for you ...:crying:

RIP sweet Gena.

Barb'sArt
05-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Thank you all so much for your kind words and understanding how this hurts. Gena was part of my family, and losing her has me in total shock. Please accept my thanks for your kind words and condolences, but I hope you understand I just don't feel like posting right now.

chammi kaiser
05-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Dear Barb, I am so heartsore for you. Gena was a beautiful , beautiful dog and I know how hard it is to lose a beloved four-legged member of the family. I am sure it is very hard to continue with her portrait and if I were you , I would just give yourself time to mourn her loss and allow the healing to begin. It is a wonderful portrait and a tremendous tribute. A warm loving hug from me.

lisapencil
05-04-2012, 12:32 PM
So sorry for your sudden loss, it is awful when we lose our furred friends unexpectedly. I hope you will find the strength to finish her portrait at some point in the future because it was looking fantastic. Sending you a virtual hug :grouphug:

KarenESP
05-04-2012, 02:32 PM
I love the way his luminescent (spell?) coat has him literally glow off the page into 3 D reality. It's absolutely fabulous.

banananna20032003
05-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Oh, I just can't get over the beauty of both your dogs. Such a lovely pose for your Dane.....very regal. You're doing a great job on the beginning....I had to laugh at the slobber.....so typical. Beautiful artwork!!

Marie

talinka
05-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Lovely drawing. She's full of personality.

JennyMK
05-05-2012, 03:58 AM
I came to end of this thread to say how beautifully Gena was coming along, and then read the tearful end. I am so sorry Barb for your loss! Like so many before me, I'm sending you a big virtual hug!
Jenny

FaeLynn
05-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Aww Barb! I was so sorry to read about your Gena. It is so sad to lose a beloved friend like that, my heart goes out to you. That must be doubly hard because you were working on her portrait when she passed.. what a shock. Know that your friends here at A&W care about you and wish you healing and peace.