PDA

View Full Version : Nameing and Labelling Paintings...

louiethe_cat
05-04-2003, 10:50 AM
I've been looking all over the place for a labeller, I got one of those hand held "Dymo" labellers, but because they don't make gold labels for it returned it and haven't found anything except a really expensive model, around $40 which does black on gold.
Personally, I think thats a little high for something I'll use occaisionally. One question is, where do you put the name of the painting? I was thinking of putting it in the bottom center of the matting.
Nameing is a personal preference I suppose, but wondered if there are any rules to follow. Some answers to that would be obvious, if you do one of a pic that already has a name, use that?
But it's labelling that I'm trying to get going here, any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Doogun
05-04-2003, 11:40 AM
One way I have seen it done, and it really looks good, is to make the mat a little larger at the bottom and cut out a small window...say 1.25" x 2.5". Behind the window place a card with the title and artist's name, etc. This card can be created on your computer with a word processing program. You can get some really classy fonts this way.
Larry

jackiesimmonds
05-04-2003, 01:32 PM
It really isn't necessary to put the title ONTO the picture at all. I never do. I might write the name of the pic on the back of the pic, that is all.

When I hang my pics in my gallery, I create little cards with the name and price of the picture, and it is put alongside the picture. This is what professional galleries do too.

Jackie

Dark_Shades
05-05-2003, 09:53 AM
was just thinking ..... perhaps if you have a unused/wanted matt/mount..... perhaps cut out a template label, should be able to get quite a few from one ..... if you have very nice hand writing, write it out in gold ....... Ha!, wish I'd thought of that lololol

Luzie
05-05-2003, 10:47 AM
I write the title on back, in shows or galleries usually there will be little cards made and hung next to the painting.