PDA

View Full Version : Won't You Come In.....

painterbear
05-04-2003, 09:14 AM
This is my interpretation of a lovely photo of an old door by Ale.l in the RIL. It is 5"x7" on 140 lb. coldpressed Canson paper.

Comments and critiques are invited and welcome. Please let me know if there is anything you would change or alter. Thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2003/9833-door.gif

Uschi
05-04-2003, 09:17 AM
Wonderfully done Sylvia!!!
Uschi

lyn lynch
05-04-2003, 09:24 AM
Why! how kind of you to ask...but I will just stay here and ADMIRE YOUR WONDERFUL DOOR. Great knockers, Sylvia. :D

tigre255
05-04-2003, 09:43 AM
Wonderfully done Sylvia........have no suggestions as I love it the way it is.........

Nitsa
05-04-2003, 10:43 AM
Very nice!....I like the yellow inside the door, makes me want to fling them open to find out what's inside! :)

Yorky
05-04-2003, 10:51 AM
Wonderfully painted, Syvlia, but I think the composition is a little tight - I would have liked some wall either side of the door.

A suggestion is to cut the mat to fit tight around the top of the arch so that the door and stone surround is in a "hole" in the mount. A second mount of a different colour would make it a striking composition.

Doug

painterbear
05-04-2003, 11:39 AM
Uschi and Barbara, Thank you both for your nice comments. :D

Fookie, I'm glad you like both my door AND my knockers. ;) :evil: :angel:

Anita, What sharp eyes you have, m'dear, as the wolf said to Little Red Riding Hood. I'm glad you spotted those yellow areas, they were the very first thing I painted.

Doug, I'm not sure I understand your suggestion about the mat--do you mean to eliminate all of the wall and replace it with an arched mat? I usually do double mounts, usually with two soft colors from the painting.

Thanks again to all of you for looking and commenting on my painting.

karenboss
05-04-2003, 11:49 AM
It's lovely - want to know what I would do? Well, I'd add a pretty strong shadow going vertically across the door, letting it follow and further definde the door frame depth and the door opening by changing the line at thoese points, maybe two shadows comming from arbitrary buildings close by - you could do something really dramatic accross the step to dramatize it's depth.. do you know what I mean?

Jprice022
05-04-2003, 11:55 AM
Good painting Paintbear. Good job on aging the bottoms of the doors.

chookbrown
05-04-2003, 11:57 AM
Lovely doors!!! great job.

Chooky :D:D:D

Yorky
05-04-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by painterbear
Uschi and Barbara, Thank you both for your nice comments. :D
Doug, I'm not sure I understand your suggestion about the mat--do you mean to eliminate all of the wall and replace it with an arched mat? I usually do double mounts, usually with two soft colors from the painting.

This is roughly what I suggested, Sylvia.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2003/1046-ArchDSE.jpg

Doug

jkook
05-04-2003, 12:24 PM
Nice job Painterbear ! This hint of light behind the doors makes you want to see what's going on in there.
Jim

pampe
05-04-2003, 12:41 PM
very nicely done, Sylvia

*not gonna comment about her knockers*

I like Doug's idea...rather neat

I agree somewhat with Karen...I sure would like to know where the light and shadows are in the interesting place

madmum
05-04-2003, 01:41 PM
You know I love old doors, Sylvia, this is great! Neat idea from Doug, too!

Ruth

painterbear
05-04-2003, 04:53 PM
Karen, Your idea about adding shadows intrigued me because I am a big fan of what impact shadows create in a painting. So, I ran off a copy of the painting and gave it a try. I probably didn't quite do it as you suggested, and it didn't turn out very good. :( Thanks for the idea though.

John, I'm glad you noticed the weatherbeaten, washed out section at the bottom of the doors. I took great pains to get it looking like that. :p

Chooky, Pam, and Ruth--Thanks, ladies, for looking and commenting. I appreciate it.

Yorky, That really does look nice, it is a wonderful idea. It makes the knockers really stand out too. ;) Looks like everybody agrees with your suggestion too.

Jim, Thanks for noticing the golden glow. There isn't a whole lot there because the door is only open a tiny bit, but it does seem to add to the painting.

ale.l
05-04-2003, 05:00 PM
Wonderfully done Sylvia. I only wish I had done this door before you :) :) If I do it now would I have to ask your persmission as the author ;)

Joking aside, it's really lovely and if you like stone doors I can put on some from Dalmatia, probably built by the Romans!

See you all soon, bye bye

M.A.
05-04-2003, 05:11 PM
Sylvia, this is very beautiful. You could also call it "the light from within." (just a thought -- uh, oh, do we need another acronym? jat = just a thought?) lol.

Lise
05-04-2003, 05:21 PM
Lovely painting! And really like Doug's idea.

minov
05-04-2003, 05:53 PM
Nicely done, Sylvia!

My only wish is that one door was open so that I could see inside!

M.

CharM
05-04-2003, 07:46 PM
ok... we're up to our knickers in knockers here...:evil: crrreeaaakkk... ooooh, who's inside? Mysterious! I like it!!! :D

Little Old Lady
05-04-2003, 08:51 PM
Very nicely done.
JoAnn

taghera
05-04-2003, 08:57 PM
Agree about your knockers Sylvia....the paintings not bad either..LOL..:)

painterbear
05-05-2003, 05:57 AM
Ale.I. I'm glad you like my interpretation of your lovely photo. I would love to see your stone doors—and I know I'm not the only one who likes doors here.

Mary-Ann: TAL (Thanks a lot) :)

Lise and Jo Ann, Appreciate your kind comments.

Mindy—It is open just a crack to tantalize.

Char and Taghera— Thank you both for you nice words. :evil: :cat: :angel: