PDA

View Full Version : Portrait in Ink

Phillip
05-04-2003, 07:46 AM
I did this in Burnt Sienna ink with a dip pen.

This is the first one I have done without any books or lesson. I just worked of a photo.

Am I heading in the right direction with this. ?
Is the hair & face over done??

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2003/21263-Bethany_in_Ink.jpg

Elankat
05-04-2003, 10:19 AM
When doing portraiture in ink, I think that the "less is more" is a good way to thing. In general, placing your line work in just the right places will give curve and dimension to the face without it looking overdone.

If you do a search on "portrait" or "face" in this forum, you'll find a couple of good threads that talk about how to handle faces. In general, I find that very light line work is important or else the lines end up overpowering the features.

Also, you don't need to use all crosshatching. Try using a more fluid stroke in the hair or more curved lines in certain areas. For example, I think the right side of her face (our left) is very successful because of the curved lines. They add to the contour of the cheek instead of competing with it.

It's a very good first ink portrait. Portraits in ink are really challenging. You're doing a great job. Keep at it. :)

artdude
05-04-2003, 10:49 AM
Pretty good first attempt Phillip :) LeAnne has some good advice for you. Do a little research and KEEP AT IT!! :D:)

seejay
05-04-2003, 05:11 PM
Every attempt is a good attempt. You will learn by doing, I know I do.

Am I heading in the right direction with this. ?
Yes. However, faces and figures are difficult, and frustrating!

Maybe you should look around for some simpler subjects to practice your seeing/drawing skills. There may be lessons on drawing in the Drawing forum that help with shading, seeing, etc...

Listen to Leanne, too!:)

Cheers

jjsangel
05-05-2003, 05:06 PM
Pretty good for a first try. Check out LeAnnes tips and keep trying. With everyone you do,you will learn more and you will get better and better.:)