PDA

View Full Version : Paper Question

coffee_girl3000
05-04-2003, 06:12 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed before...oh well I'll ask anyway.

I bought a full sheet of Strathmore Waterford paper, going to do 2 half sheets. Do I paint on the side on which I can read the watermark correctly or the side on which it is backwards?

Oh, and does anyone have any experience with this paper - 140lb CP BTW - what is it like?

painterbear
05-04-2003, 07:13 AM
Hi Sarah,

I always thought, and was taught at one point, that you were supposed to use the surface where you could read the watercolor mark correctly first. Someone posted a thread a week or so ago and contradicted that, but I'm not sure if he was correct or not.

I bought a tablet with about 15 sheets ofStrathmore 140 lb. coldpressed paper recently and just finished using it up for my postcard project paintings. I thought it was pretty good, but I still prefer Arches.

tessp
05-04-2003, 07:29 AM
Strathmore Waterford? Are you sure that isn't Saunders Waterford? :confused:

I was always told that the side where you could read the watermark was the "right" side. But if you happen to mess up that side, turn it over and paint on the back. :)

Tess

Uschi
05-04-2003, 07:50 AM
The right side Sarah, that's where the proper seizing is.
Uschi

coffee_girl3000
05-04-2003, 07:53 AM
What am I talking about :). It is Saunders. Going mad!

I will just paint on the readable side. Managed to neatly tear it so it looks like 2 deckled half sheets. Will have to wait until later on, as have rehearsals now though.

lyn lynch
05-04-2003, 07:57 AM
I like Tessp's comment, it's what I do. ;)
Besides, the impression occurs only once on the full sheet. So it's necessary to pencil mark the 'right' side of each quarter. [Bleugh] too much bother for me. But, when I make the quarter w/the impression, I insure that it is right-reading. When I turn it over I insure that it will be either cropped or covered by a matt, should a matt be used.

I started out w/Strathmore and it's OK. Just once you work on Arches there is no comparison between it and the "lesser" papers. I love the Cheap Joes' house brand Kilimanjaro and it's a bit cheaper and once Arches is all gone, it's all Kilimanjaro in this house..

Yesterday I bought two blocks of 140# [300 gr] Canson Montval Watercolor paper. I hate the block, it's glued on all 4 sides so stretching is unnecessary. Then, directions say, just find small opening at the top and insert dull knife to separate sheets. Snort, even w/a magnifier I can't find the opening. Also, top sheet in the bad is shredded, making that sheet from a 12 x 16 to an 8 x 10. I bought this for practice, but at a sale price of $18/pack the second pack will be returned. The sheet itself seems to be OK for painting and perhaps it's my imagination, but color lifts more readily from this sheet.

pampe
05-06-2003, 09:58 PM
Sarah....on the watermark side.....but the other half won't have one, so mark it

Let us know what you think of this paper