PDA

View Full Version : Bearly acceptable

seejay
05-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Groan! Sorry about the bad pun title!;)

This guy started off as an attempted wash drawing for the wash project, but it got to a point where it didn't look like I could save it, so I added some oil pastel to help it out.

Mixed media: sepia pigmented ink, watercolour, oil pastel.

~30x25 centimetres..

My wife says, "I think he is a good little chappy!". She has been more enthusiastic about my other bear pics...;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2003/6409-stitchedteddytiny.jpg

Cheers

Phillip
05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Wow.

I really like the techniques you used here.

artdude
05-04-2003, 10:30 AM
Hi Chris. Too bad about the wash not working out for you. Nice save with the oil pastel though :D Like the bright background, it really makes him stand out!! Keep on working those washes!! :D:)

DragonladyfromOz
05-04-2003, 10:38 AM
Ohhhh, what a cutie seejay!:D
Nice mix of media and techniques to make him/her that little bit different...especially like the jumper.
Cheers
Manda

seejay
05-04-2003, 05:25 PM
Thanks for looking folks.

Phillip:
It's called the 'damn, what can I do to hide that mess' technique!;)

Murray:
Oil pastel can hide a hundred sins!

Manda:
I'm resigned to the fact that all my bear pictures will attract the 'Cute' label!:evil:

Cheers

Phillip
05-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by seejay
Thanks for looking folks.

Phillip:
It's called the 'damn, what can I do to hide that mess' technique!;)

Cheers
If it's watercolor you will be able to lift most of it out.

seejay
05-05-2003, 03:29 AM
Thanks Phillip. If it was just watercolour I could go hose it off, but the ink is pretty much there once dry, and that wasn't going too well - I probably could have done more with it, just took the easy way out!;)

Cheers

Miggles
05-05-2003, 06:49 AM
Seejay,
I love' Bearly' He has a sweet satisfied sort of smile.......
and using pastel (mine are soft) is truly acceptable.
I found that out when I sort of gave up on a watercolour ...the "letting go" is the trick.... I 'fixed' it with pastel and dared to frame it and enter in an annual exhib and WON my first merit award with it as mixed media! You could have knocked me over with a feather!!:D It sold that night so Ive not seen it since..Pays to take photos eh. ( I had):)

BTDogMom
05-05-2003, 10:52 AM
OH!! (*says in VERY high-pitched voice*) This is soooo cute! :D - I drew a teddy bear 4 my girlfriend's memory book 4 her new baby - http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2003/18803-TeddyBear-wip2.jpg

He's not in pen & ink, nor is he in color, but u get the idea. Yours, however is better - he's a doll (HH EHAEHA EHAE - Get it? a doll? LOL) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2003/18803-straight.gifsorry

Arcanjo
05-05-2003, 10:52 AM
:) Hi Chris!
Now I know why you wife loves them!

Beijinhos

jjsangel
05-05-2003, 11:07 AM
Hey Chris. Good save. I think he turned out pretty good for a boo boo. I love his furry look and he really stands out in that background..

mel-ink
05-05-2003, 01:24 PM
He's adorable Chris!! I like the bright colors and the oil pastels worked out beautifully! He looks really soft and fuzzy!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

(No "cute" here!! :D :D :D )

drwells
05-05-2003, 04:24 PM
Wow Chris!! Nice mess up. :p Your teddy bears always come out so nice. I'm not showing this one to my wife. Sooner or later she will remember that you are that guy that draws the cute teddys for his wife...grrr And she will be thinking oh and all I get is stinking naked trees. :D

Jamie very cute. He looks all soft and fuzzy. I bet your friend loved him. :)

Danny

seejay
05-05-2003, 10:54 PM
Thanks everyone!

Miggles, there must be a lesson in your story for all of us!

Jamie, luv your bear too, tho' he does seem to have a 'grumpy bum' look!;)

MJ: :)

Sharon: You never know where a boo-boo may lead you! Good learning experiences, in some ways.

Mel: Adorable is much better than cute, thanks!;)

Danny: naked trees, naked bears, there ain't much diff! I'm sure your wife would love a bear!;)

Cheers all

Christie
05-05-2003, 11:19 PM
This is a nice looking bear! :)

I have a guy who looks much like this, but with a different jumper. he sits on my dresser and glares at our puppy. :D

seejay
05-06-2003, 12:34 AM
Thanks Christie!

If you only have one bear, no wondet he glares! You need at least a dozen for them to be happy - they are social creatures after all!:)

Cheers

Phillip
05-06-2003, 12:53 AM
Hi Chris.
How are you.

I think your teddy is a keeper, I certainly like it.

I had a go at more ink drawing this morning, I tried one of those pens, that a bought similar to the ones you had, it's nice, but I liked the dip pen better.

seejay
05-06-2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Phillip
Hi Chris.
How are you.

I think your teddy is a keeper, I certainly like it.

Fine thanks Phillip! I know the teddy is a keeper, my wife won't give it away now.

Cheers

BTDogMom
05-06-2003, 10:30 AM
Jamie, luv your bear too, tho' he does seem to have a 'grumpy bum' look! LOL - u r right - he does look a bit grumpy - it's cuz he's jealous - I sleep with another teddy bear everynight - his name is Albert - his frickin' leg is coming off, I just need 2 sew it back on, but he's all smashed from me laying on him and stuff - my hubby used 2 think it was real cute 2 hide him from me until I got so infuriated with him the ":evil: Satan" voice came out - "WHERE'S F'ING ALBERT" he gave him up and no longer hides him. - I can't sleep without him I even have 2 take him with me on trips or vacation - it's pathetic huh? SO WHAT!! I DON'T HAVE 2 GOVE HIM UP IF I DON'T WANNA!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2003/18803-mad.gifhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2003/18803-mad.gif

:angel: :angel: uh Thanks :D

Danny I'm glad u like him he's very cuddly :D

els
05-07-2003, 12:14 PM
Chris, he is so cute :D :D :D Really...

Love it, and the pastel background complements him perfectly...

Dave.t
05-07-2003, 05:51 PM
Hey Chris this is a really striking painting...great expression on the little fella.
You have done a superb job on the fur texture...are the highlights paper showing through or pastel?

:clap: :clap:

seejay
05-07-2003, 10:51 PM
Thanks again!

Jamie:LOL - Your hubby is crazy to mess about with your teddys! Of course you can have them, my wife has a travel teddy too.

Satan" voice came out - "WHERE'S F'ING ALBERT"

As an atheist, I don't believe in Satan - are you sure it wasn't just you putting on a scary voice???;)

Eamon: Cute is fine with me now!;)

Dave: highlights would be pastel. I'm too careless to plan leaving paper visible!

Cheers all