PDA

View Full Version : Daily Wash - Sunday 4th May

coffee_girl3000
05-04-2003, 05:33 AM
Good morning! I'm up bright and early today, as have drama rehearsals :o later. I can't believe the exam is a week on Tuesday! This year has just flown by, doesn't feel like it's almost summer.

Mind you, weather isn't too summery. Out of my window I can just see grey skies and blustery wind (well can't exactly see that). It's amazing that it's still snowing in some parts of the world in May. Brr!

Glad I'm the first poster, usually there are TMR and I can't say hello to all. So hello all, before it is too late.

sisangel
05-04-2003, 05:42 AM
Good Morning all -

I don't know what today is like yet since it's still very dark out. I've been awake since 4:30 am, I guess because of all the excitement with daughter's wedding yesterday. The wedding was great, Kimberly is a beautiful bride and I have a son-in-law that is amazing.

Sarah - Glad you got to start the wash of this morning. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Doug - I hope your back is feeling better and that you're out of bed soon.

Sharon - Thinking of you and hope all went well for you at the hospital. Please drop us a note soon and let us know how you are doing.

Wishing you all health, inspiration, and a wonderful Sunday.
Bonnie

M.A.
05-04-2003, 05:45 AM
Morning Sarah! Have fun at your drama rehearsals ... what play are you in? We have sunshine here today!!! It's still a bit on the chilly side but at least the strong winds have died down from yesterday and it has stopped raining. My daffodils I planted last fall are coming up nice and strong, as are other early spring plants. I think this is going to be a good year for my little flower garden ... maybe they'll make up for the dismal forced bulb year I had in the house.

Have a great day AWAYTC (all who are yet to come).

:D

[edit] And Morning Bonnie and Ruth too ... looks like we were posting at the same time!!!

madmum
05-04-2003, 05:49 AM
Morning Sarah, Bonnie and all washers to follow!

I must be lucky, the sun is shining here (for the moment!) although it is very windy. Bet the rain is being blown straight to us!

Bonnie, hope you'll share photos of wedding with us :) You'll probably calm down then collapse of exhaustion later today! lol

Doug, just remember you need GENTLE exercise, hub always feels better when he's walking when his back plays up.

Sharon, we're thinking of you, I expect you're away this weekend with the children but just in case (((((Sharon)))))

I started work on my first challenge painting yesterday - the Moroccan alley. Only got first washes down, hopefully have time for more later, in between cooking roast dinner and other family stuff. ;)

Later, friends :)

Ruth

artmom
05-04-2003, 05:52 AM
Good morning, Sarah! and Sisangel--you just popped on!

Sarah, enjoy your rehearsals and have a good day:)

Sisangel, I'm happy the wedding went well and hope you also have a good day.

It is still dark here, too, so I don't know what weather is like. Yesterday was a beautiful, warm sunny day--if today is the same, maybe I will get the energy to take a trip up to Cades Cove, in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, about 30 minutes from our house. It is a very beautiful valley, that was settled by pioneers in about 1814 or so, many of them veterans of the War of 1812. If we go, we'll take lots of pics and share them in the RIL.:D

Hope all are well, or getting that way--happy painting!

Lyn

P.S. GM, FunToCook and Madmum--wish I could be there for a nice Sunday roast, Ruth!

coffee_girl3000
05-04-2003, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by fun2cook

Morning Sarah! Have fun at your drama rehearsals ... what play are you in?

It's a devised piece, we have been writing it for a while now. It's about a school reunion and flashes back to the characters' schooldays. Sounds cheesy...I hope it isn't but it might be :).

Ruth, I think I'll join you in painting the Moroccan alley, that photo really caught my eye.

Glad the wedding was fine Bonnie. My congratulations to Kimberly.

M.A.
05-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Sarah - your play doesn't sound cheesy at all, sounds very interesting. Hoping you get a big bouquet of flowers on opening night! Break a leg!

Lyn - looking forward to your RIL additions from your trip today. (After, come on over for a roast!!!) :)

Also, a note to everyone. Due to Olga's comments in yesterday's Wash (she had clearly intended to participate in the project and had already begun work on portraits for it), I raised the limit to 31 participants in the watercolor portrait exchange and now *she's in.* I previously limited the project to 30 because it was getting a little overwhelming for me as I have a full-time job and other obligations. In the future, I'm thinking of opening it up again for a short period of time (say a week at a time when I can manage it if the demand is still there) so more can join as this is an especially fun project. So keep your eyes open if you're still interested in participating. Also, if someone else wants to start another watercolor portrait exchange, that option is *always* open.
:angel:

Happy watercolors to all!!!

painterbear
05-04-2003, 06:25 AM
Good Morning all,

It is only 6:15 a.m. as I write this here in Ohio. Dawn is breaking and it looks like it will be a nice day. We had a gentle rain yesterday, the kind that is good for the garden and flowers. I had just planted two large containers of flowers for the top of our driveway, as well as a few spots near the front porch and along the steps going down our front hillside, so I was very happy to see that kind of rain.

The lettuce is sprouting in our veggie garden--hope we get to enjoy it before the weather gets too hot for it and causes it to bolt.

Sarah, Good luck in your play. Do they use the expression "Break a leg" in England when wishing a thespian a good performance as they do here in the States? If so, break a leg kiddo.

Ruth, I chose Rich's Morroccan scene of the rug salesman. Brings back happy memories of our years living in Turkey. Will probably start on it in the next day or so. I'm working on a painting of an old, weathered doorway right now, hope to finish it later today.

Lyn, Hope the weather is good for your trip to the Great Smoky Mountains NP. Have you ever read any of Sharyn McCrumb's mysteries that are set in the Appalachian Mountains back in the old days? I really like them because she gives you a feel for the people and the history of the area, along with a good mystery story.

Bonnie, Now you can relax and enjoy the peace and quiet after all the hubbub that surrounds a wedding. Glad it went well for you all. Please do show us some pictures of the beautiful bride, handsome groom, and happy parents.

Hope all who have been ailing are feeling better or will be soon.

Have a nice Sunday to everyone.

Don't forget to vote in the Challenge thread of the guys against the gals. The vote closes in two days. Even if you didn't participate in the challenge with a painting, you can still vote on the final show!

See you later.

tigre255
05-04-2003, 06:38 AM
Morning all washers.......

Sarah hope you play is fun.....

All the rest hope you have a good day of painting or whatever you choose to do today.....

Going to be another hot day here in the south........:rolleyes:

Yesterday in the mail I got my newsletter from the Fl. Watercolor Society and entry form for their next juried show for Sept. here in Orlando.....think I will give it a shot.....here is the link to the guy that will be the Juror Mark E. Mehaffey, AWS, NWS (http://emill.com/mehaffeygallery/)

So now I need to figure out what to sumitt or what to paint for the entry......only allowed one entry per artist, so it will have to be a good one........

As for the Challenge 2, I finished the first painting and now fixing to do another one, not telling which yet......let it be a surprise.....don't want the men to think they know everything you know......hehehehehehe

Well I'm off to fix my coffee and try to wake up....have a good day and keep the brushes wet.......

artmom
05-04-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by painterbear

Lyn, Hope the weather is good for your trip to the Great Smoky Mountains NP. Have you ever read any of Sharyn McCrumb's mysteries that are set in the Appalachian Mountains back in the old days? I really like them because she gives you a feel for the people and the history of the area, along with a good mystery story.

No, I haven't read her books--my favorite books are set in Britain because of having been born there! but I'll check out her Appalachian series--thanks for the tip!

FunTwoCook, looks like weather will be good--I'm ready to go NOW, but hubby is still asleep:rolleyes:

Lyn

M.A.
05-04-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by tigre255

Yesterday in the mail I got my newsletter from the Fl. Watercolor Society and entry form for their next juried show for Sept. here in Orlando.....think I will give it a shot.....here is the link to the guy that will be the Juror Mark E. Mehaffey, AWS, NWS (http://emill.com/mehaffeygallery/)

So now I need to figure out what to sumitt or what to paint for the entry......only allowed one entry per artist, so it will have to be a good one........

Good luck Barb. I checked out his site, beautiful work ... I think he likes purple.
:)

M.A.
05-04-2003, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by artmom

FunTwoCook, looks like weather will be good--I'm ready to go NOW, but hubby is still asleep:rolleyes:

Lyn

Okay, come on over, Lyn ... tea's on!

Can anyone tell that just today I figured out how to use the little "quote" button that is next to the "edit" button....

artmom
05-04-2003, 06:57 AM

Can anyone tell that just today I figured out how to use the little "quote" button that is next to the "edit" button....

Yeah, isn't the QUOTE button great?

Earl Grey or English Breakfast?:D

Lyn

M.A.
05-04-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by artmom

Yeah, isn't the QUOTE button great?

Earl Grey or English Breakfast?:D

Lyn
Lyn - I have about 20 different "flavours" of tea ... have both so you can have your choice! Thanks for giving me another opportunity to use the quote button. :)

Yorky
05-04-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by sisangel
Good Morning all -
Doug - I hope your back is feeling better and that you're out of bed soon.

Sharon - Thinking of you and hope all went well for you at the hospital. Please drop us a note soon and let us know how you are doing.

Bonnie

Thanks Bonnie, I decided to get up and about today, I didn't get any benefit from staying in bed for a day (I've got no patience so my XYL says). Anyway I thing moving around is better.

Sharon - hope to hear from you soon.

Going to do another couple of portraits before I embark on the new Challenge - my wife says I need the practice :D

Cheers!

Doug

Little Old Lady
05-04-2003, 08:11 AM
Good day! TMR
Cool and clear here. Can't wait for the day when I don't have to have the heat on!
Bonnie glad the wedding went well and that you like your son in law!
Glad Olga was able to get in the Portrait Project. Have to get going and finish what I have started.
Hope you all have a lovely Sunday.
JoAnn

mchew
05-04-2003, 08:18 AM
Hi guys,

Too busy yesterday watching one football matches after another, 3 to be exact. Very disappointed that my beloved Liverpool lost 1-2 against Man City and at the very last minute at that!!! :(... which means it will be do or die next week against Chelsea... whoever wins will qualify for the Champions League.

Alright alright.... I better stop talking about football... LOL

I brought 3 paintings to art class yesterday and asked my teacher to submit my application to join the Singapore Watercolour Society, since his studio is in the same building as the society's office. I'll know whether I get accepted or not in a couple of weeks time.

Spent the whole afternoon "practising" painting BIG on my dinning room wall.... yes! getting ready for the commission mural... lol

Here's the link to the mural I'm currently painting...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105298

Have a nice Sunday, everyone! :)

lyn lynch
05-04-2003, 08:19 AM
Morning AWHPBH [all who have previously been here] and AWAYTC [all who are yet to come] and TWAL [those who are lurking], and TWWBL [those who will be lurking], and TWATSTJI [those who are too shy to join in], and PAMPS [needs no explanation].

Sarah, play sounds wonderful. We have had several of the same ilk here in the US, very popular idea and great adaptation material. This will give each character the room to show respective skills for grading.

{{Mary Ann}} FuntoCook, for administering the portrait exchange. Hasn't she done a Grade A performance? Whew! Way too much work for me to undertake. Take a big bow MA, from a grateful participant. I have more still that I want to paint, but needed a break as I just don't care for realism and was starting to think sloppy. I think everyone's skill level increased, except for Doug who needs more practice before starting in on family. :D

I also selected the Moraccan alley and blanket vendor for first works in the Challange 2 project. Great minds, I guess, although mine will pale before that of Ruth, Sarah, and Sylvia, and this much I know for sure. Sorry, girls, I'll be dragging you down. :D But these are great compositional photos; nice to see I am developing the "eye" for recognizing it. :D

Not too much going on here for the past days, have to rethink my life journey and that's the truth. :p

GDA [good day all], or GNA [good night all] and TFBH [thanks for being here]. Auntie.

Bill J
05-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Good moring all---Its 80 deg F at a little after 8am here in South West Florida, the wind is 6 mph off the Gulf. Hope everyone has an enjoyable Sunday

Uschi
05-04-2003, 08:29 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!!

Sunday, and my turn to cook brunch for the brunch bunch. Apart from that, no special plans, we'll see wha the day brings. Beautiful day, still very cool in the morning especially since I forgot to turn the heating back on last night.

Fun2 - I am not surprised about the portrait exchange being a lot of work, I find it a lot of work to even look at everything. Talking about that

Olga, can't wait to see how you painted me, thanks!!!!! I guess anyone unable to put their portraits into the exchange could always post it in the normal forum.

Bonny - looking forward to the pictures, so glad all went well.

Doug, what exercise did they give you, I finally found one that works well and am sooo happy about it. I think the sciatic nerve thing is even worse than the arthritis because no antiinflametory or painkiller do the trick. Pain in the butt HA!

Hi Ruth, Lyn, Sarah and whoever else I missed, have a great day!!!! Oh, and JoAnn, who beat me to it.
Uschi

Uschi
05-04-2003, 08:37 AM
Not only JoAnn skipped in, but also Marvin, Fookie and Bill.
Hi to all!!!
Marvin, anyone who can paint watercolour landscape, animals and an acrylic mural with such skill is a genius in my eyes!!! Looks fantastic!!!
Uschi

Kari
05-04-2003, 09:43 AM
Good afternoon everyone! I'm late checking in. I've been out in the yard all day, cleaning out under the bushes, mowing, cleaning off the porch,etc. Hope I'm not too sunburned!!!
Yesterday I went to my quilt guild meeting and we worked on baby quilts to donate. We are a very small group and we have 9-10 quilts so far. Then I took my son to the Family Fair on base- lots of free activities for the kids. Later, met up with my other son who came back from his track meet and we ended the evening with a free concert on base by Bryan Duncan. He's a contemporary Christian music singer and what fun we had!! I can't think of any other concert a 40 year old mom and her teenage sons can go to together and all enjoy it equally. He was really funny too.
Well, I'm off to find out what projects and challenges are going on.

Christie
05-04-2003, 10:46 AM
Good morning everyone!

It is almost 9 am here and I actually got to sleep in. My son fed mimself and his sisters breakfast, so I finally woke up when the puppy stood on me to say she wanted to go outside! Thank goodess the bigger dogs did not follow her lead. :D

Not much point in getting out of bed as we got another 4" of snow last night. It is so depressing to be in may and still be seeing snow... :D

So, I am staying inside and painting today. I may cook as well, i I do not get tooo distracted.... :D

Marvin, I hope that you are accepted. I cannot imagine that you would not be. You are an amazing artist! :)

Bonny, I am glad that the wedding went well. I found that I had way too much spare time after we got married. :D If I had been painting at that time, I would have filled the gap nicely. :)

Everyone else, I hope that you have no snow in your day and that those of you who are feeling poorly are improving. :)

artcrazy
05-04-2003, 11:01 AM

Hey thanks, Maryann, I've been here a year and still hadn't figured that one out!!!! :p (ie., how to use the quote button to get the blue boxes)

No snow here in Newfieland, amazingly enough!! They had called for flurries, but it's sunny and beautiful outside. Gonna go for a nice low key bike ride, I think.

Nice to hear everyone is doing well . :D

mpopinz
05-04-2003, 11:23 AM
Good Morning Everyone

I enjoy reading this Daily Wash, and just wanted to wish everyone a lovely sunday.

I need to paint today, I spend too much time on the computer lately. Been learning much from WetCanvas, now I need to put it into practice.

Be Well, & Have a Creative Day =0)

painterbear
05-04-2003, 11:27 AM
Hi again,

Just popped in to read the Daily Wash before going outside to paint a trellis we just bought for our bean plants to grow on.

Art Crazy and anyone else who hasn't figured out the Quote box yet, it is really easy—go to the person's section of the thread that you want to quote. Beneath their box click on the button that says "Quote". Another window will open with their words in it (no blue box at this point though). Skip a line and add your comments just as you do in any other thread. When you finish, hit the "Submit reply" button and that's it. When your reply comes up in the thread, the quote will appear in a blue box and your comment will be underneath it. Piece of cake!

Kari, Be sure to go around shooting reference pictures of Italy now while you still have the time before PCSing back to the States. You'll be glad you did once you get here. Wish I had been painting while we were there, I definitely would have shot a lot more reference-type pictures.

Time to go paint and plant. See you tonight again.

chookbrown
05-04-2003, 11:33 AM
Hehehe... morning/evening to all in the categories explained by Fookie!!!! LOL..

Raining here with big thunderstorms.. yay.. the grass is green.

Gonna be in class all week from 8 - 530 so won't be chatting much.... and NOT an art class... waaaaaaaaaaahhhh. Oh well have to do it.

I'll hope to get on in the evenings to check out all your lovely works.

Have a good one...

Chooky :D:D:D

karenboss
05-04-2003, 11:41 AM
good morning all you early risers -

yes, Kari - do get some nice landscape photos of Italy up in the ref gallery for us!! you must be overwhelmed with inspiration.

Bonnie! wow, what an event! congradulations!

Bill - thought you were in Maine!! I had to read it twice, 80 degrees in Maine... I don't think so!

I had some good news on Friday, I've been accepted as a trasfer student at UC Berkeley, so I start there as a third year undergraduate in the fall. (yikes - those kids are so smart!!) - I don't think I'll be painting much then since I'll have a four hour round trip commute to get to school !

Fun 2 - It's a lot, huh? Good for you for doing it though, it's very popular - even for me to see how everyone does - I'm not ready to do portraits, but maybe in the future - anyway, thanks for all your efforts there!

Sarah - good luck with the play and with exams (mine arn't until the week of the 19th) -

Keep those brushes wet!

M.A.
05-04-2003, 05:06 PM
Hi everyone!

I've just uploaded my new site (sections are still in the works) that I've been working on all weekend. Would you kindly take a peak at it and give me your thoughts (critique), please?

Here is the url: http://www.citadelhill.com

chookbrown
05-04-2003, 05:18 PM
Hi everyone!

I've just uploaded my new site (sections are still in the works) that I've been working on all weekend. Would you kindly take a peak at it and give me your thoughts (critique), please?

Hey Mary Ann.. the site looks great hun.. really nice. The only thing I would personally like to see you add is something about you... you know an "About the Artist" type of page.. Often helps sales if people feel they know something about you.. Not private stuff.. just about how you feel about your art etc. I have done a lot of artist websites and find the ones with a pic or info about the artist tend to do a wee bit better in sales. Anyway, just my two cents...

Cheers and great job.. nice and clean..

Chooky :D:D:D

M.A.
05-04-2003, 05:27 PM
Thanks for your pointers Chooky, I'm working on something about myself but find it much easier to talk about others than myself. I remember Amazon.com used to have a canned "interview" format for authors and I'm sort of thinking about that type of thing ... sort of a self-interview ... but not explicitly stated that way, think I could pull it off? Might get a little strange. In any event, I'm trying to figure out the things people want to know about an artist. What would you want to know about an artist? (Also, about a picture of me ... I'm hoping to get a self-portrait done soon). Any suggestions for developing this site are genuinely appreciated. And I appreciate those you have already mentioned.

Nandie
05-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by fookie
Morning AWHPBH [all who have previously been here] and AWAYTC [all who are yet to come] and TWAL [those who are lurking], and TWWBL [those who will be lurking], and TWATSTJI [those who are too shy to join in], and PAMPS [needs no explanation].
GDA [good day all], or GNA [good night all] and TFBH [thanks for being here]. Auntie.

LOL Fookie!!!

All these ACRONYMS are giving me a heady-ache.....:p

M.A.
05-04-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Nandie

LOL Fookie!!!

Sounds like a call for a new acronym!

heady-achy = ha!

lol.

pampe
05-04-2003, 06:47 PM
whoa

guess I totally missed this today

sorry

Mary Ann...web site looks nice...what did you use?

M.A.
05-04-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by pampe
whoa

guess I totally missed this today

sorry

Mary Ann...web site looks nice...what did you use?

sheesh, I really like the quote thingy.

Thanks for your comment Pam.

I used my heart and my brain and MSFP
(MSFP = MicroSoft FrontPage)

CharM
05-04-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Nandie

LOL Fookie!!!

ROFLOL

Hi Everyone!!! We spent the day working in our yard... My son's computer crashed... again... So, we dug out the cheque book, shoo'd away the moths and went to town and bought him a spanking brand new screaming machine... Maybe now he'll stay off mine...

Bonny... hope you share some pics of the wedding...

Mary-Ann... your site looks good... Want us to write your bio???:evil: :angel: :evil:

Sharon... thinking of you!!!

Hope everyone else had a wonderful day...

M.A.
05-04-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by CharM

Mary-Ann... your site looks good... Want us to write your bio???:evil: :angel: :evil:

Sure, I could use some help ... whaddya got in mind?

Uschi
05-04-2003, 07:15 PM
Hi everyone!

Looks very good Mary Ann, clean and very easy to navigate. Agree with Chookie, an "about me" page will make it even better.
Uschi

M.A.
05-04-2003, 07:16 PM
Thanks Uschi! Appreciate it. (I've added some stuff about *me* on the front page and on the about page too - that was the hardest part about this site!)

CharM
05-04-2003, 07:28 PM

Sure, I could use some help ... whaddya got in mind?

Well now, let me see... We KNOW you work hard... We know you're a dedicated painter who loves her art... We know you volunteer you time to beautifying your neighbourhood... You have only good things to say to people here in the forum, so we know you're a very nice person...:angel: :angel: :angel:

M.A.
05-04-2003, 07:31 PM
Awwww ... that's so sweet. Thanks!

M.A.
05-04-2003, 09:26 PM
Just wanted to pop in one last time today before I trot off to bed. Thank you everyone for your input on my Web site development, I really appreciate the time you took.

Have a great week ...

Phillip
05-04-2003, 10:30 PM
the website looks great Fun2cook.

I agree with the About Me page.

Bill J
05-04-2003, 10:41 PM
M-A tomorrow morning increase the size of the type on the main page (ver 1) is a little small. Everything looks good I can see you did a lot of work on it---
Good night all hope you all have a GREAT WEEK
bill

karenboss
05-04-2003, 10:42 PM
nice web page, Mary Ann! That bio/artist statement (BAS) is painful to write! good luck with it - & the new site!