PDA

View Full Version : creating cards from your pastel pics

jackiesimmonds
05-04-2003, 03:58 AM
Hi gang
Thought you might like a peep at the cards I have created for my exhibition.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2003/1805-cards.JPG

Here is how I made them.

1. I took digital photos of some of my paintings and saved them to my computer.

2.I created a pile of blank cards (I actually used some card I found in my plan chest, which was quite stiff with a nice deckled finish. You could buy blanks tho. )

3. I printed out small versions of my pictures, four to a page, onto specially coated fine art inkjet paper. This is lovely stuff, looks like watercolour paper, and because of the coating, the colour reproduction is fantastic. There are several makes on the market, some cheaper than others. Most are good, I have tried most of them.

4. I created a little sheet to put in with the card, loose at the back, whch explains that each card is hand made, and carries a small Giclee Print of an original painting. I mention some stuff about myself and put a telephone contact number.

5. I stick the little pics to the front of the card, and sign below. Then I bag up the whole lot, with an envelope, in smart little cellophane bags, and secure with a small sticky tab.

These are great to give to friends as gifts, you can put, say, six together and tie with some nice ribbon, people love them; also, if you are having any kind of exhibition, they sell really well.

UK WCers - if you want the details of where to buy the cellophane bags etc, I will give it to you - just let me know. You can buy evertying you need from these people - cards, envelopes, bags, stickers. I can also tell you where to buy the special inkjet paper, online.

Jackie
www.jackiesimmonds.co.uk

flowerfields
05-04-2003, 04:50 AM
Jackie thank you so much for sharing this with us....I love the look of them..your pics are beautiful and I can see why they sell well....Now I am getting ideas!!
I am in Oz so I will have to hunt around for the envelopes I think, but this has really been helpful to me and I would love to do this. People are so much more willing to part with a little money than buy a whole painting!!
How much do you charge? For one, and for a pack of more?
Thank you again!
Mia:cat:

Dark_Shades
05-04-2003, 05:56 AM
They look wonderful Jackie, great idea !! .......

Can I ask some questions?
do you have to change your settings on your printer for each different painting, and do you do a test sheet on ordinary paper.

(I tried printing a painting the other week and was surprised how different the printed out version was to what I viewed on my monitor - took loads of attempts to get it right)

Where do you get this card from? - I know from stationers or computer shops they are doing pre packs of cards and envelopes in a set, I would imagine the card would work out alot cheaper

Do you know if anyone you give these too, pop them into a frame and have a mini painting of yours :)

I dont know if you do this already....... but I think you should put these up on your site..... Im sure they would be a great seller

They look great Jackie....... thanks for sharing

Mo.
05-04-2003, 06:09 AM
Super idea Jackie, I've been thinking along these lines too for when I get my new printer.... an Epson 1290. Thanks very much for sharing the information.

Cheers,
Mo.

soap
05-04-2003, 06:56 AM
Indeed, good idea - I'll make my greeting cards from inkjet paper completely. Just print, fold, bag, done! Yours is a good idea too.

S.

louiethe_cat
05-04-2003, 08:29 AM
I'm curious about your carnival paintings, how many you did and if they sold, I do remember vaguely that you sold one. I think those would be great cards. Are they on line anywhere? I've brought up your site and didn't see them. Also can you take pics of your up coming show and put them on line? I find it interesting in seeing a show or display of an artist I interact with.

angeline
05-04-2003, 08:42 AM
OOOhhhhhhh what a lovely idea!
I would love to know where you get your supplies from.
It would be a nice way for me to keep in touch with my family that all live abroad.....and in the process show them what I am doing!

jackiesimmonds
05-04-2003, 12:03 PM
wow, lotsa things to reply to.

Ok here goes.

FLOWERFIELDS: I am not sure what I will charge as yet, probably about 2 each (I always tend to undercharge! even for my paintings I think). I know someone who does this with cut-up bits of her original watercolours, a bit bigger than mine, so that each one is a mini-original, and she charges 5. As these are prints, and not one-offs, I think 2 is probably OK.

If you have trouble finding the envelops and plastic bags, have a look at www.craftcreations.com. Perhaps they will send stuff to Oz, you never know.

DARKSHADES: Not sure what you mean " change my settings for each painting". I import the pic from my camera,into iphoto express, or Coreldraw 8, and I adjust the pic at that point - sometimes the tone, sometimes the focus, etc. When it looks as near as poss to the original, I save.

when you come to print from the computer, it is VERY important to make sure that you enter the correct media type- so for instance, the paper I use needs to be specified as "photo quality inkjet paper" under the properties tab. There is sometimes a button you can hit, in the print window, which gives you the chance to improve screen to printer matching - depends on which version of Windows you are using, I think.

No idea where the card came from, as I had it in my drawer all ready. However, I think that an art materials shop is your best bet. Otherwise, do get hold of CraftCreations catalogue, I believe they sell card too. Might not be deckled, like mine was, but this will work with good quality, stiff card. It should not fold easily, if it does, it is too lightweight. I had to score along the back edge, very gently, and then it folds nicely.

Not sure I would want to go into mass production. They are time-consuming to make up. I can do a painting in a day and earn far more!! Nice for gifts tho, and worth the time spent, I think.

SOAP - making "cards" from regular inkjet paper, folding it up at the end, is really, really, NOT the same thing at all. They always look cheap and computery done that way imho. These cards look like a really nice, hand-crafted item.

LUOIETHECAT: there are a whole pile of my show images on the gallery page of my website, together with two of the carnival pics.
www.jackiesimmonds.co.uk. And yes, I did use some of the images for cards, they look very good.

ANGELINE: see above for the www of CraftCreations. Their catalogue is huge - ask them to send you one. However, if you go on line to order, it works rather well. You can choose the card size you want, and then you are offered a link to the envelope which will fit, and the bags that will fit! They even sell the little stickers if you don't buy self-seal cellophane bags. They are quite reasonable too.

Hope this answers all the q's!!

Jackie

pampe
05-04-2003, 03:17 PM
I find the cards a wonderful seller.....even when people don't buy a painting, the will purchase cards.

I use Canson blank cards (boxed about $12US for 20 cards) and also some I found in Needlework shops that have an empty cut square in the front and come in wonderful colors.

Thanks for bringing this up, Jackie.

little dreamer
05-04-2003, 03:49 PM
~your cards are wonderful. and i saw a project somewhere that you can laminate copys of your paintings onto trays and plates. ~

soap
05-04-2003, 06:05 PM
Have to disagree Jackie - there are so many fine art inkjet papers out there, that printing them (on Somerset enhanced, or Hahnemuhle fine art inkjet for example) on those papers - does really look great. They can go for little reproductions

S.

Katherine J
05-04-2003, 11:04 PM
This is such a great idea, Jackie, and I'm interested in the whole process. Thanks for sharing. My question is, do you need a really high quality printer? Mo was talking about an Epson 1290 she's going to get, but I'm not too sure whether that's top of the line or what. Right now we just have a low end Hewlett Packard and I don't think it's good enough.

Katherine

christmascarolnz
05-05-2003, 01:14 AM
Great stuff Jackie. I did the same with my paintings for the guys in the family as Christmas presents. I put mine onto glossy photo card though. My family didn't know I could paint until they opened their gifts. One way to share what matters to you with others.
I didn't see if anyone else asked this, but what about colour fastness? How will they stand the test of time? (When I gave mine away I didn't consider this.)
Regards,
Carol

jackiesimmonds
05-05-2003, 02:11 AM
Carol - I use an Epson 1270 which has lightfast inks. On the right papers, this will give sufficient longevity. I have had a print ona windowsill for over a year now, and it hasn't faded at all, which I think is really good, considering it has been right in the sunshine!
However - for greetings cards, I really would not worry about the lightfastness - which answers you, Katherine. why not try and see what the reproduction is like? If you like it well enough, it might be fine for cards. If you decide to upgrade, most photo-quality printers will do a good job, and you do not need to spend a lot. My daughter has an inexpensive Epson, and it prints colour wonderfully. I am a great fan of Epson printers.

Soap - I have tried most of the Hahnemuhle papers, and haven't found one which is as heavy as I would like for a greetings card. I just don't like cards which are made from anything too floppy, I only want just a single fold. I thought you were talking about A4, folded into 4, which I really don't like at all. I agree, these papers are amazing, and with them I produce excellent A4 prints on my Epson, which look wonderful framed too. I heartily recommend Bockingford Inkjet papers - they are double sided, so if you make a mess on one side, you can still use the other side!

Jackie

angeline
05-05-2003, 03:28 AM
Thanks for that Jackie thats wonderful!
Good luck on your exibition.....do let us know all about it after.
please.

zilloot
05-05-2003, 04:13 AM
Jackie - again a wonderful thread full of brilliant advice!!! thank you so much.

Have you tried Clairfontainne(sp?) inkjet paper - i was just about to send for some because it seems inexpensive but i think i'll have a look around.

I don't have a digital camera and the print to scanner process deosn't seem to work so well...sigh.

Still - going to have a play with some card I found here in a box - lots of speckled stuff, and textured stuff too...

p.s. what kind of glue did you use?

soap
05-05-2003, 04:51 AM
Thanks for the response Jackie. I don't find the Hahnemuhle papers too thin at all - the heaviest I found is 'Arkona', 335 gms, while William Turner 10 gms is very heavy too. Too heavy for greeting cards I think. I use Somerset for greeting cards, because it is the right thickness (225 gms), gives wonderful reproductions and is not too expensive. Hahnemuhle is better in producing repro's but is more expensive and the prints need a coating for protection, because the prints tend the 'scratch' slightly.
The Bockingford is nice, but too thin for cards, I find (190 gms).

For anybody interested, check out these threads in the business forum:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102675

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97349

And THE inkjet thread:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77140
All the best at your exhibition, Jackie!
S.

jackiesimmonds
05-05-2003, 07:22 AM
Thanks Sophie, I will check out those papers, perhaps my original sample pack did not have them.........or I used them up ages back!

Zilloot - I used one of those roll-on glue thingies. Normally, they are a pain in the b, but my daughter directed me to one which apparently you can only buy in photographic shops, it has a red dispenser, and it is absolutely fantastic. The make is HERMA, and you can buy refill rolls for the little dispenser. I use it all the time now, for putting photos in albums and stuff like that, as the glue is repositionable, and it simply "rubs off" with your fingers if you get it in the wrong place. It is acid-free, and archival safe, and doesn't stain. Obviously, it is rather more expensive that the regular ones like Pritt or Pelikan, etc, but SO much better.

I do not know why it is only available is photographic shops, but this does seem to be the case. Perhaps the price is not competitive with things like Pelikan Roll-fix (which always goes wrong on me). It is a much better product.

Hope you can find it.

Jackie

E-J
05-18-2003, 03:15 PM
Inspired by my meeting with Jackie yesterday, I decided to have a go at making my own greetings cards.

I found some inexpensive blank cards with matching envelopes, made by a company called Anita's Art Stamps: the cards are folded into three and have an aperture so that you can slide your print inside. I printed out mini versions of a couple of my pastel paintings on good quality paper, just larger than the aperture to avoid any white edges being visible.

I still need to secure the image in place, glue down the flap and sign them. They do look nice though, I think :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2003/13865-first_cards2.jpg

Once I'm kitted out with the stuff Jackie recommended I will make some cards more in the style of hers, but in the meantime, I'm quite excited about these as they cost under 1 apiece to make and I plan to use them as publicity, to let people know that I'm actively pastelling in a city near them :)

Dark_Shades
05-18-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by E-J
[BOnce I'm kitted out with the stuff Jackie recommended I will make some cards more in the style of hers, but in the meantime, I'm quite excited about these as they cost under 1 apiece to make and I plan to use them as publicity, to let people know that I'm actively pastelling in a city near them :) [/B]

..... is that in a warning!!!, like on cigarette packets ha ha ha

gottya back :p :evil: :D

..... seriously EJ, they look great..... and wonderful idea ..... note the carnation, make sure you give one to 'the' relative .... would make nice Birthday cards too

.... did you find it easy to alter your print settings to get a good likeness to the originals ..... I found when I tried to print out, that it took me a pack of paper before anything looked right .... and then had to start all over again with the settings, when I wanted to print out a different picture..... gave up in the end

E-J
05-18-2003, 03:33 PM
Dawn ... :D

I didn't have to fiddle with my colour settings this time, though I have found that the kind of paper you're using has a major impact on the way the colours turn out. Earlier today I tried printing on Epson matte heavyweight paper and the image was way over-saturated ... when I compared it to the original painting the difference was dramatic. [The paper, however, turned out to be rather good for reproducing a soft Somerset Velvet effect.] Things seemed to go ok with the glossy paper today but when I recently tried to make a print of my Degas it came out looking rather dark and dull. *Shrug* So I haven't come to any useful conclusions really ... am just waiting for payday so I can buy a new ink cartridge and a stack of paper to play around with! :)

Dark_Shades
05-18-2003, 04:33 PM
Ok, thanks for that EJ .... apparently, it isnt me then :)
.... I bought some really lovely paper and when I finally got the colour result I wanted, was very pleased, it looked like the velour I had painted on. What I noticed on my printer is NOT to set it to the paper you are using, as that just soaked all the inks up, and that came out dull ..... would be sooooo much easier if what you viewed on your monitor is what printed out

grrrrrr!! :mad:

soap
05-18-2003, 05:32 PM
Nice cards EJ!!
I've been struggling with colour settings too....I know if it was only so simple that what you see on your monitor is what you print........but no.......there are loads of books and webpages written about this subject and you can get software to make things match better. Also, setting your image software (paintshop or so ) to your printer helps a lot. Paper that needs endless tryals I just don't use. Somerset and Hahnemuhle are great - almost instant correct colours and fantastic results.

he he...Jackie has started something here.........Maybe we can start a postcard project too....

Dark_Shades
05-18-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by soap
[B
he he...Jackie has started something here.........Maybe we can start a postcard project too.... [/B]

NOW!!! thats a good idea Soap .... lol, r2d2 ruin hee hee.... was trying to set up a pastel exchange that never took off I believe, we could all exchange cards........ if we ever sort out printers lolol

Mo.
05-18-2003, 05:48 PM
They look super E-J...still playing with my new printer, and awaiting arrival of a book about digital printing from amazon...hopefully then I'll be whipping them out too......cards and prints that is :D

Mo.

zilloot
05-19-2003, 05:09 AM
These are really nice E-J...how did you sign them? On the print or on the card?

Great stuff - off to see what my ancient printer has available.....

E-J
05-19-2003, 06:01 AM
hi Fiona, I've done what Jackie does and signed them on the card, underneath the image, in graphite pencil. Nothing elaborate! :)

soap
05-19-2003, 10:49 AM
Just to show all the possibilities (if this image is not too pixelated :D) these are my cards, printed on Somerset inkjet paper....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2003/15421-cards.jpg

Anybody with more ideas?

wayfarer
05-19-2003, 11:39 AM
zilloot: I don't have a digital camera (yet!) either. For the cards, you can try taking photographs and then scanning the photographs. A much better picture all around. You may also try scanning as a .TIF rather than a .JPG. Would get a nicer image that way.

No one has really mentioned original size of paintings used for postcards. Are you using larger paintings scaled down to the card size, or similarly-sized images? Just curious if you're getting the same great resolution if the difference between the original and the card isn't significant,

Chris

E-J
05-19-2003, 11:48 AM
My carnation painting is 8.5"x14" and the purple flower's about 9"x9" so they're scaled down quite a bit. As long as you're scaling the images down rather than up, resolution shouldn't be a problem, I don't think.

soap
05-19-2003, 12:55 PM
None of my paintings are as small as a greeting card, but it is as E-J said, as long as you scale down and not up, it is no problem. If you want to scale up, you need a digital image with a very high resolution!
Oh, just a thought.....I do make greeting cards of details of my paintings which probably come very close to the original size......seem to have no problems, but I do work from TIF files and a minimum of 300 dpi.....

Mo.
05-19-2003, 02:06 PM
Your cards look great Sophie...as to resolution, shouldn't the scanned pic be of the same res as what you are printing?

soap
05-19-2003, 02:10 PM
...er......not totally sure what you mean, Mo, but yes, the scanned pic should be of the same or a higher resolution as what you are printing. Raising the resolution does not work. Oh, and thanks for liking my cards.....:)

Mo.
05-19-2003, 02:17 PM
Sorry Sophie didn't word things quite right did I...but I see you understood me.:)

Thanks

Mo.

Will H-G
05-20-2003, 06:10 AM
Hi Jackie

Thanks for the craftcreations.com link, I sent for a catalogue this morning.

I bought an Epson C80 a little while ago to produce prints from my pictures and am very pleased with the results. It produces excellent prints on uncoated papers including watercolour paper.
I will be using it to produce my Christmas cards this year and if they come out OK I might try selling some at a couple of craft fairs later in the year.

E-J
05-29-2003, 08:22 AM
Three people have so far expressed an interest in buying my cards and I really want to get going with them. Have found that the card blanks with the aperture in the front are too much hassle and I'd like to order all the right kit ... cards, envelopes, bags and stickers ... but it looks like I'm going to have to send off for the Craft Creations catalogue by post too as I officially give up trying to find what I want on their website!! Their images of the products don't actually link to any product information ... when I go to the price listings for 'cards, single fold, no aperture' it mentions several colour ranges but doesn't tell me what the colours available might be or how I go about specifying in my order ... when I go to the Direct Order page and type product code DEC3U into the box, I am taken to an error message ... they have an online catalogue in pdf format but it's all text and so is very hard to navigate, and when I search for 'cards' it only finds one mention of them under the special card kits ... arrrghhhhh!

How on earth do you find it so easy to use, Jackie?? :confused: :)

E-J
05-29-2003, 08:31 AM
... in fact I've just now filled in their online form to request a catalogue by post and have realised I've already ordered one ...?? What's happened to it, I wonder...? *Sigh* I'm going back to bed.

soap
05-30-2003, 02:53 AM
I did order one too and never got it..........found a local shop that does similar stuff.
http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/index.htm

www.artexpress.co.uk does similar stuff too and they have a coloured catalogue.

E-J
05-30-2003, 04:28 AM
Thanks Sophie! Will give them a try.