PDA

View Full Version : Abbey Green

Faafil
05-04-2003, 02:02 AM
Well, I really thought I bit off more than I could chew, but, whew, so far so good. This is a photo I took when we visited England last year (in Bath).

Photo ref:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2003/3876-113-1302_IMG.jpg

First stages.... eh...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2003/3876-Abbey_Green.jpg

Mid stage - hated the building on the right, that green- ugh ! Wasn't sure how I was going to make this pretty.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2003/3876-Abbey_Green1.jpg

Got rid of the ugly green, did some scrubbing, changed the color... added more blooms to the flower boxes...in the final stages...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2003/3876-Abbey_Green2.jpg

Now that I've uploaded the pictures, I can see where my perspective is off, but... :o

Should I try to add the leaves from the tree... what else can I do to make this better ? Overall, I'm happy with it, since I've never tackled anything like this before, but I'm always grateful for your advice and comments.... Oh - it's half sheet, Arches, 300# cp.

Sorry to be so long-winded... Thanks for looking, have an inspiring day !

Mary Lou

andylavallee
05-04-2003, 02:15 AM
Hi Mary-Lou, I'm only 35 mins from Bath now!, great painting , maybe your focus is a bit to cental, my only real nit is that the building colour is to uniform, one of the things about Bath buildings is this streaking and dark patches .... if it where painted walls your rendering would be fine .IMHO. nice painting all the same

Faafil
05-04-2003, 02:23 AM
Hi Andy... Oh, I loved Bath... had a great time there, and everywhere we visited in England. Hopefully am going back to London for a few days this fall, on our way to Barcelona.

I was going to try to get that streaking in the buildings, but finally gave up on that endeavor... couldn't figure out how to get it right.. :confused:... so took the easy way....:)

Thanks for looking...

Olga
05-04-2003, 03:26 AM
Hi Mary Lou

Nice colors give your street scene a warm feeling.

I think adding the tree would counter the symmetry of the present composition (would also help the slight perspective problem with that building on the right).

My other suggestion would be to add a bit of color to the storefront on the left. It might be just my monitor, but it looks a bit too stark to me (now that I look at it more closely, I see it's a bit darker in the middle photo--so this probably is a problem with the scan rather than anything about the painting)

And--if you do not want to muck with the walls anymore, then perhaps, you can add some color variation in the window panes making them reflect different things? Just an idea

Olga

madmum
05-04-2003, 04:51 AM
Mary Lou, your painting is really bright and cheerful, but because of that it doesn't really say Bath to me, it's more mediterranean.

It's a shame you didn't feel confident enough to make the buildings streaky - I think my way would have been to wet the whole of the front of the building after masking windows then really load up a brush with the streak colour and let it run down.

I think the leaves on the right would help, at the moment the composition is very linear.

Where else did you visit when you were in England?

Ruth

artmom
05-04-2003, 06:14 AM
It is a very nice painting, but I would think we were in Italy instead of England!

How about some broken washes over the buildings to tone them down a little and can you lift some of the blue out of the sky to make some clouds? Your sidewalk is showing reflections as if it were wet--in your reference pic it looks as if it is--but your sky is bright blue. Of course, if you like the sunny Italian feel, just don't tell anybody it is Bath! LOL Artistic license!

Lyn

M.A.
05-04-2003, 06:29 AM
Beautiful and vibrant!

Faafil
05-04-2003, 10:38 AM
Olga, Ruth, Lyn, Fun, thanks for taking a look and your comments...

It does have a more mediterranean feel than Bath - think I'm gonna try streaking the fronts of the buildings... I couldn't get that cooler color I was going for, and I'll probably add the tree branches too... (wish me luck) It had just stopped raining and the sun came out when I took this picture... we were standing under the huge tree across from these shops .. :D

Ruth, we stayed in London 1 week, Bontdduu in N. Wales (gorgeous country) for 2 days, and Malvern (neat place called Cottage in the Woods - what a view!) for 3 days, back to London for 2 days.... was going to try to hook up with JT while there (she was moving to Hereford then), but didn't make it... we were in Hereford tho :D We rented a car after the first week and put 1,000 miles on it in 5 days while in Wales and middle England... It was a fabulous trip...

surreal
05-04-2003, 11:06 AM
Great going!

mpopinz
05-04-2003, 11:17 AM
Very nice detail.

Good depth, symetry, and neat stripes on the overhang on the bottom. The windows are well done also.

Looking forward to seeing the finished work.

Overall, a very good view.

CharM
05-04-2003, 12:00 PM
Firstly, you're off to a good start regardless of of your perspective. You do need to adjust your values, though... I took the liberty of greyscaling your picture... As you can see, the buildings and sky are virtually all the same value... In order to create some depth, you'll need to deepen your shadows...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2003/20514-3876-Abbey_Green3.jpg

Keep going... Then post again!!!

madmum
05-04-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Faafil

Ruth, we stayed in London 1 week, Bontdduu in N. Wales (gorgeous country) for 2 days, and Malvern (neat place called Cottage in the Woods - what a view!) for 3 days, back to London for 2 days.... was going to try to hook up with JT while there (she was moving to Hereford then), but didn't make it... we were in Hereford tho :D We rented a car after the first week and put 1,000 miles on it in 5 days while in Wales and middle England... It was a fabulous trip...

It sounds fabulous!!!! You got to see some of the most beautiful places in the UK! I love North Wales, alot of my family live in that area and visits were always fun :) Malvern is great, too!

What did you think of Hereford? (I'm not a local, so you can be honest :D )

Ruth

pampe
05-04-2003, 03:10 PM
Faaf

good work, especially for an uncomfortable start

I agree with most of the above critiques

definitely value attention

I knda liked it yellow *s*...was a variation

and I feel like a parrot today....BUT

where is the light coming from?

Faafil
05-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Nina, Iris, Char, Pamps, thanks for taking a look.... Ruth, I would love to come back and spend lots more time in England... it's a beautiful place; too much to see, too little time...:D I thought Hereford was really a beautiful and charming place, you're lucky to be there....the cathedral there is amazing....

Char, I appreciate you taking it to greyscale - I always forget to do that... :eek:

Pam, the light is coming from about 11:00 - actually I think that IS about the time of day, or thereabouts...:D

Well, I'm trying to move Bath from Italy to England :D, so washed it down, lightened the sky, added some streaks, and the branches from the tree...(thanks to Marvin's lesson)...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2003/3876-Abbey_Green5.jpg
I may fiddle with it more later....but whaddya think ?? I was afraid I was making the stone look like wood :eek:

As always, I appreciate your comments and advice.... Thanks! Have an inspiring day !

hopefulbucky
05-04-2003, 08:29 PM
Faafil,

Like the added tree think it helps tremendously and I like what you did for streaking. Gives particularly the middle building character.

Great job.

CharM
05-04-2003, 09:50 PM
Good job!

Faafil
05-05-2003, 01:49 PM
Hopeful, thanks for your nice comments... I think this will be the 'first' of attempts at this composition, and others that I took while in the UK... I took over 1,000 photos, not all of which are painting material, but got some neat ones...

Char, thanks for your help on this. It's funny, but after I finished this one, I looked at my ref photo and the lightbulb went on! I think I know how I'll try the next one....

Thanks everyone, have an inspiring day !

Mary Lou