PDA

View Full Version : Honfleur Alley

andylavallee
05-04-2003, 01:49 AM
12x10 watercolour/pen , Daler-Rowney. paper I bought in France Aquarelle Fontaine 300gr. Are the darks dark enough. Critique please

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2003/16392-alley.jpg

Faafil
05-04-2003, 02:37 AM
they look dark enough on my monitor Andy.... I like the composition.... think I'll stop in La Vallee's and get a cold one....:D

Olga
05-04-2003, 02:58 AM
Hi Andy,
It's a nice view. I particularly like the way you painted the roofs and the yellow wooden board wall. And I do think the shadow parts are dark enough.

I am a bit bothered by the fact that both sides of the shadowed lower part of the building have the same value--it might be so in the photo, but I think it makes the building look a bit flat looking and that part of the painting too prominent.... I'd suggest lifting out a bit on one side or the other...
One more suggestion would be to add a bit more texture/color variation to the brown building on the left...
But I might be all wrong on all this--so lisen first to what others have to say :)

Olga

artmom
05-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Andy, I LIKE this! Agree w/Olga re: shadowed wall and brown building.

I think I'll step into La Vallee's and sit under the palm, and be calm!

Good one.

Lyn

painterbear
05-04-2003, 07:01 AM
Hi Andy,

This is a really lively composition. Your darks look plenty dark enough for me. I would like to see a little more brown in the street to contrast more with the building colors.

Is La Vallee's open at this time of day? Maybe serving coffee?

Yorky
05-04-2003, 08:16 AM
Lovely job, Andy.

I like the window reflections in the foreground.

Doug

Sandy1
05-04-2003, 08:30 AM
This is wonderful. My daughter walked by and stopped saying that is soooooooooo cool. It makes me what to see what is around the corner. You are drawn right into the picture. Great job.
Sandy

lyn lynch
05-04-2003, 08:32 AM
I'll join Sylvia w/her choice of brew. Darks look great to me, except re Olga's comment, which is what struck me, too: I'm thinking a bit of that blue in an uneven wash over the dark side, or perhaps the orange. and leaving the light side as is.

Love the modernism approach to the windows above Le Vallee's, like the architect imbibed while OTJ. LOL, bit of humor for you to remember me by.

I like to see a bit of that orange repeat on the right side, and perhaps a hint of the pale blue as well. The blue perhaps in the building at the end of the street, like on the rooftop, or bldg. out of the sun--it's reading a bit bland for me.

Overall, a commendable work, it's a fun piece, too.

pampe
05-04-2003, 12:23 PM
agree that it is charming and well done

I like the feel of the whole piece....happy

Agree that your walls need some variation

think the darks are ok:eek:

jkook
05-04-2003, 12:30 PM
Nice job Andy, I like the simplistic approach and limited palette. Maybe some texture on the walls would be nice.
Jim

minov
05-04-2003, 05:49 PM
Interesting composition and colors....
the darks look good to me!
Very charming:cat:

M.

CharM
05-04-2003, 07:49 PM
Wow... very, very well done! I like this... I would like to see a little variation in your walls, but you've painted this beautifully...

andylavallee
05-05-2003, 01:03 PM
Thank you all for looking and for your comments, I have made a few alterations to the wall on the left and the road.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2003/16392-File0015.jpg

If your ever this way you will always be welcome in La Vallee's

Annetta
05-05-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by pampe
think the darks are ok:eek:

....pamps' :eek: after that comment made me chuckle.

Great painting Andy!! Yep, just a touch of texture on the walls would be nice. Otherwise, I think I'll belly up to the bar :D

Nandie
05-05-2003, 01:52 PM
Nice composition Andy, and wonderful use of light & shadow! Is this anywhere near "Rue Lavalee" by any chance?;)

mpopinz
05-05-2003, 02:04 PM
Very nice piece. Love to have a sandwich in the LaValley Bar! (LOL). Good comfortable feel!

Gilberte
05-05-2003, 02:07 PM
I like it as it is !

andylavallee
05-05-2003, 02:46 PM
Thank you for looking and your comments.

Andrea its down at the end of Rue Lavallee and a little to the left in a place called imagi-nation.:D

Thank you Iris for your nice comments a sandwich here costs 2.5 euro about the same $US I buy the coffee!

Annetta Thank you I'd belly up to but I hardly Know you (You been looking at my manly physique?):D

Gilberte I agree thank you for looking