PDA

View Full Version : Velour paper

Cool_Brittany
05-03-2003, 11:49 PM
This is my first post on this board! What great information here!

I have just tried velour paper. I am pleased with my first attempt, but I would like to know any secrets in using this paper. How do you achieve sharp edges? Any tips on handling and framing??

Thank you for your help!

louiethe_cat
05-04-2003, 12:43 AM
Welcome to the forum CB, I've never used Velour paper, or any of those specialty papers, I would like to try some sometime. I have used sanded paper before and like that, I especially like the extra fine sanded paper. I'll keep watching here to see what the answer is to the "sharp edge" part of your question.:)

soap
05-04-2003, 06:00 AM
Hi there,
Do a search on velours and something might come up. We recently had quite a few posts on this subject.

My experience with Hahnemuhle velours paper is that it gives a wonderful soft effect to your paintings. But it must be that effect you're after! If you are after sharp, hard paintings, than this is not the right choice of paper. You can make sharp lines with hard pastels, or soft ones, pressing harder. Blending is really difficult with this paper, but smoothness is created by the paper itself, and by layering loads of colours.
As for handeling and framing - use fixative!!! A lot! Framing and handeling, whilst being very careful, should be no problem then.

One of mine on velours...
http://www.sophieploeg.com/Selfportrait1.jpg

Must admit.....I now prefer the sanded papers, like Colourfix and Royal Sovereign Card.

Dark_Shades
05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
If its a finer line you are after, you can always sharpen your pastels to a point or use pastel pencils

flower
05-04-2003, 05:12 PM
Hi Soap,

Just had a look at your selfportrait, what a wonderful picture such beautiful vibrant colours and your website, absolutely amazed, really inspiring. Is velour paper like the velour wallpaper, what´s it like for beginners to use?

soap
05-04-2003, 07:12 PM
Thanks Patricia. Don't know about velours wallpaper - never used that on my walls :D
Beginners? Why not - I found that trying out different papers (with some guidance from the people here at WC) was the best way to learn. See if you can find some affordable small pieces of velours and give it a go!

tabbycat
05-04-2003, 08:05 PM
I love the velour paper. You get gradations by layering the colors. What I have found is that you must be careful not to blow on, bump, drop, or otherwise disturb the pastel paper or else the pastel will fall off. I dropped one of mine and sometime in the near future I will look forward to returning it to its original state. I haven't used fixative on my velour drawings yet but I plan to try this soon. I use the paper for animal portraits, so I really like the soft edges. It makes drawing fur effortless. You can also purchase velour board, which seems (to me) to have a slightly different texture, and it seems to hold the pastel just a little better, but that could be just my imagination.

Dark_Shades
05-04-2003, 08:16 PM
you are so right tabbycat...... ive just tried out both velour paper and velour board....... the paper was dropping pastel like no ones business :crying: , but the board didnt..... love the effect and working with velour.... but do like the boards better, though I have just rec'd a pad of velour paper :)

soap
05-05-2003, 05:57 AM
He, thanks! I've got to try the velours board then!

Cool_Brittany
05-05-2003, 11:52 AM
Thanks everyone!
I usually use Canson Mi-Tientes paper and love it. I have also used the sanded paper. I know of an artist that uses Velour and she can get such sharp edges and detail. I do animal portraits as well and I did find that it made drawing effortless and gives the animal such a wonderful soft look!

LOL - I did blow off the top surface of my painting!!! I won't do that again!!
Does fixative alter the color or "look" of the pastel?
It sounds like you like velour board a bit better that paper?

I am from Canada and I can't find velour paper or Grumbacher soft pastels anywhere here!

When I get a picture of the painting I will post it here.

Dark_Shades
05-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Cool_Brittany
Thanks everyone!
I usually use Canson Mi-Tientes paper and love it. I have also used the sanded paper. I know of an artist that uses Velour and she can get such sharp edges and detail. I do animal portraits as well and I did find that it made drawing effortless and gives the animal such a wonderful soft look!

LOL - I did blow off the top surface of my painting!!! I won't do that again!!
Does fixative alter the color or "look" of the pastel?
It sounds like you like velour board a bit better that paper?

I am from Canada and I can't find velour paper or Grumbacher soft pastels anywhere here!

When I get a picture of the painting I will post it here.

it is said that fixatives do dull the colour of pastels..... some use it and then just spruce the pastel up over the top :) ..... Ive been using it alot lately and didnt find that it did ..... until last night lol..... was rather close, and bam!! .... yup it did indeed dull the colour..... went into panic mode ha haa ..... Ive also noticed that depending on which papers and pastels you use has more of an effect when using fixatives.....
....... well I can not find much of anything in the way of supplies in the UK ...... so I just order from USA ..... and www.DickBlick.com as advertised in WC ....... thats were I ordered my velours from ..... has endless sources of art supplies and materials..... wide range of choices

tabbycat
05-05-2003, 10:42 PM
One drawback with the velour board is that it's twice as expensive as the velour paper. I do have quite a bit of velour paper, as I recently ordered some from Dick Blick and they had a ten sheet minimum. A good place to order pastels is dakotapastels.com. In fact I'm headed there right now to purchase some items, and they didn't seem to have a minimum number for ordering certain items. I am really getting into pastels because I love their soft, rich quality, and I am too impatient nowadays to deal with mixing paints and cleaning brushes. I do love my oil paints, but the pastels are a fun new medium for me, and I never knew there was such variety in pastels and papers. I've learned a lot here, which only adds to the experience:)

soap
05-06-2003, 04:10 AM
DS - I know that Great Art does Velours pastel paper from Hahnemuhle (260 gms) fro £7.35 (for the smallest pad).

http://www.greatart.co.uk/

It must be expensive to order from the US??

Kathryn Wilson
05-06-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Dark_Shades

it is said that fixatives do dull the colour of pastels..... some use it and then just spruce the pastel up over the top :) ..... Ive been using it alot lately and didnt find that it did ..... until last night lol..... was rather close, and bam!! .... yup it did indeed dull the colour..... went into panic mode ha haa ..... Ive also noticed that depending on which papers and pastels you use has more of an effect when using fixatives.....
....... well I can not find much of anything in the way of supplies in the UK ...... so I just order from USA ..... and www.DickBlick.com as advertised in WC ....... thats were I ordered my velours from ..... has endless sources of art supplies and materials..... wide range of choices

Hi Dark: My experience with fixative has been good and bad. If you want to darken a pastel painting, fixative will help. If I want to use fixative, I take it outside and spray over the top of the painting and let the fixative float down. Taking it outside is best for your lungs also - LOL. Never do this in a closed room.

louisiton
05-06-2003, 08:43 PM
Hi Brittany,

I'm in Canada as well, though on the West Coast. I've bought the velour paper at Opus. Do you have one of those in Ontario? I also have bought velour framing matt boards in the "extras" bin at Michael's for $2 a piece for a 14 x 11 board. Maybe you'll have some luck at one of these stores.

Cool_Brittany
05-10-2003, 12:24 AM
Hi Louise,

No we don't have an OPUS here. I went to Loomis & Toles the other day and asked for velour paper and to my surprise they had 6 sheets, not in the best shape...but I bought them. I can at least use part of them. They also informed me that it is discontinued! Great! They did suggest, as well, trying the mat board. I have some so I will try it. What did you think of it? Thanks for your help!

Is the velour board sturdy or is it flexible? Do you find it fills up with pastel quickly?

louisiton
05-10-2003, 03:25 AM
Hey Brittany,

I said I bought it - I didn't say i had used it yet. You know how some people just can't stop buying shoes? I'm that way with art supplies. I did do some practicing on one piece and found that it has a great soft and creamy feel to it, but it was very difficult to get a crisp line (guess you don't want to use velour if you want a crisp look). The board is quite sturdy (as are most mat (matt?) boards that you frame your pictures with).

Dyin
05-10-2003, 02:02 PM
I did my tiny head with soft pastel on velour...as a beginner...for my hard edges I went in from the outside with an appropriatly colored prismacolor pencil... not too sharp, not too dull...A good crisp flat edge worked also for some sharpness.I didn't think I had much dusting, I didn't use fixative....in fact I moved it in a portfolio over bumpy roady and expected a huge mess and was shocked to see it was still intact...luck, I think, and possibly because it was packed down by layers of pastel. Also, if you have a good hog bristle brush you can "erase" somewhat and clean things up....I worked top to bottom and keep those fingers clean as the velour picks up EVERYTHING! Shading was done with multi-layers but even tho the velour holds loads of pastel it does reach a point where you can't work it.

soap
05-11-2003, 12:30 PM
Latest on velours:

Just picked up a piece on velours from my (ex-!) framer. AAAARCH SHOCK.....the idiot forgot to put in a spacer and 'gave it a good bang' before framing it........

Result: part of my painting was knocked off the paper and the painting is now quite changed. The mat is a little smudged because there is no spacer.......

SOOO.....lesson........ALWAYS use a spacer and NEVER knock the pastel dust of a painting on velours!

I am so upset. Am thinking of going back to him so he can remove the painting, so I can touch it up, then bring it back so he can reframe it. But I am so fed up with him, I don't really want to go back. Suppose I should though.....

Soap.:crying: :crying:

Dyin
05-11-2003, 12:40 PM
Oh...that's awful...so sorry! He owes you something for ruining the painting, but can understand why you'd not want to deal with him...is there a reason you can't do it yourself? Unframe and repair I mean, and then make him give you the spacers you need, new matting and a refund of a certain amount? Just a thought...or else send him a bill for the work done somewhere else. This is why I've gone to the OPs...to me the soft pastels are just so fragile and the cost of framing so expensive and I don't have the room for storage of all that...hope you can fix it....

louisiton
05-11-2003, 01:33 PM
Here's a question? Would fixative work well on the velour paper (or matt)?

soap
05-11-2003, 02:09 PM
Not sure what you mean - always, always use fixative on pastel paintings on velours paper. Not on the mat though....
Even with a 'fixed' painting on velours, never give it 'a good bang' to loosen any dust, most of it will still fall off. If a velours pastel painting is handled carefully, framed (with spacer) and hung on a wall as soon as possible, it should be fine for years to come.

the hassle is not worth it for me though - will use other papers instead from now on.