PDA

View Full Version : Essentials of Painting Rocks-Discussion Thread

Johannes Instructor
03-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Essentials of Painting Rocks Discussion Thread

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2012/135220-seascapewithrocks.jpg

Many artists complain they have problems painting rocks. You will understand the principles of light to depict the planes of rocks and how to make attractive shapes. What you will learn will also improve your still lifes or portraits. Join Johannes, an official art instructor for F&W Media, the publishers of several art magazines seen in most bookstores worldwide, and thousands of his worldwide students on the most advanced online teaching system. This workshop will include demos in oils, watercolor and pastels. You don't want to miss it. It is free!
TIME: 1:00 to 3:00 PM EST.
DATES: 3 Saturdays: March 24, 31, & April 7
Fee: Free (Sponsored by F&W Media Inc. publishers of the Artist's Magazine.)
A certificate of completion will be given to those who attend.

To register click below
https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/197651928

CaKatt
03-19-2012, 02:12 PM
I am registered and looking forward to it.

Amandine
03-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Registered the moment I hearded about it - weeks ago. So glad we'll learn how to do rocks, at last !!! Saturday afternoon, please come to me. :)

Obion
03-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Hi, I have registered and looking forward to learning how to do rocks. Thank you again Johannes for these free classes... :-) ~ Barbara

AshlandCreekArt
03-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Looking forward to it. In fact, I set my alarm LAST Saturday to remind me...unfortunately, it was a week early.

SalzburgBJ
03-20-2012, 06:37 AM
Finally I can perhaps learn how to paint rocks right. They look so logical and easy but ... aarrgh! I'm looking foward to Jo's golden nuggets on this topic!

LadyMadonna
03-20-2012, 11:59 AM
I have just returned from Johannes' workshop in Hamilton and I will tell you that no one hates to do rocks more than I . I encourage all of you to sign up for this free webinar and find out the many 'secrets' to painting more realistic rocks. Once you get this theory, rocks should come a little easier to paint. I never realized just how many painters have this 'rock block' ..so we are not alone !

mickisew
03-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Donna: From viewing the painting, you are a "rock star"! Your pieces are extremely expressive - all that you have shared - and this is another winner.

BumpaBob
03-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Rock on, L.M. I hope Johannes uses your painting to everyone's edification. Love it! bob.c

LadyMadonna
03-24-2012, 09:45 AM
The question is this : can I do it again? I always think I am a one hit wonder. Thank you and looking forward to learning all over again .

jezurus
03-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Looking forward to the webinar!!!

Improv
03-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Looking forward to the webinar!!!
I was looking forward to the webinar too. However, GoTo Meeting was full at 20 minutes before the webinar, Option 1 on Justin TV had no sound and just one still picture. JTV Option 2 had very jerky sound and video, and Option 3 and 4 didn't work at all.

Don't know what the problem was (my sound and video work fine on other signals, as do the commercials on JTV) but this was by far the worst signal reception for me in the year that I have been watching JV's webinars.

If I hadn't had good signals before, I would be tempted to give up.

Oh well, wait for the video downloads. I'd rather pay and be able to watch the lessons! :rolleyes:

CaKatt
03-24-2012, 03:43 PM
First session was great on webinar, no problems. I really appreciate Johannes making this available.
Is there homework?

Rosemarie
03-24-2012, 04:30 PM
I nearly missed starting time as I wasn't aware of time changing to summer time butI still got in just at the start of the class.

Great class and some of the newer paintings from Johannes were lovely!

Amandine
03-24-2012, 05:11 PM
What a great class :thumbsup: Then will come the time to put this in practice :confused: Need a demo for that so, hope everything's gone to be fine tuned next week :crossfingers:
Thanks Jo.

rickyhpierre
03-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Yes a great class. Think Johannes is posting homework on Monday.

Ricky

mickisew
03-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Hi Johannes: It was very difficult to hear the entire discussion on light and shadows. Would you please review this again next Saturday? Thanks, as always.

Micki

insley
03-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Johannes I stayed in webinar for the entire lesson until well after 4pm when you signed off, did not bother using room 2 (just muted it) as the sound and video were great in webinar but rm 2 was OK if needed for me. Johannes this is my 2nd lesson with you as I did all 3 weeks of water falls last month and really enjoyed it. Have been playing catch up downloading painting from photo's with north light shop (from your web link), I'm on lesson 8 now and I am learning alot from you and I can't wait until I burn through all 24 lessons. Todays information on rocks ect was a good lesson, looking forward to the oil demo.

Thanks for the classes as its helping me very much in my learning with oils and I'm sure your taking years off my learning curve avoiding many painting mistakes. been painting since early 2011 and I wish I found your lessons last year.

All the best from Bolton Ont, Ethan

Shadow_2010
03-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Thank you Mikisew for requesting this. I had to listen harder this time (second time Ive heard it) to the sunlight/angle nugget and I picked up a couple of things this time that I had missed the first two times. I finally understood the angle thing and where to place the highlights and I had missed putting sky color on the tops of the rocks if they weren't at the 90 degree angle. so anytime you want to repeat something Jo please do so.

AshlandCreekArt
03-25-2012, 12:08 AM
Very helpful I appreciate that the lesson was extended until it was complete rather than cutting it off after 2 hours. I learned so much and can't wait to start putting it into my work.

Rick

nicker312
03-25-2012, 12:39 AM
Thank you Johannes for another great class. I appreciate you continuing until you had completed the information you wanted us to have. I have a much better understanding of the angle of light and color temp. Thanks so much!

Susan Peltonen
03-25-2012, 01:36 AM
I agree, another great class (in spite of the audio problems). Your lessons are so carefully planned out and full of wonderful examples and thorough explanations. I always learn so much. Now, if I can only put it in to practice!

nicker312
03-25-2012, 01:57 AM
Here are a couple photos of rocks I took if anyone is interested in an image to use for practice. I live "on the rocks" so I have more available.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2012/1019812-DSC00394.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2012/1019812-DSC00559.JPG

carol_lee
03-25-2012, 04:09 AM
Wonderful session last evening... sound on go to webinar was OK... and the picture was very clear... much clearer then option 2... would also appreciate a review on the light and shadow part... it was late and my head just couldn't absorb...:lol:

Johannes Instructor
03-25-2012, 06:04 AM
Thank you Mikisew for requesting this. I had to listen harder this time (second time Ive heard it) to the sunlight/angle nugget and I picked up a couple of things this time that I had missed the first two times. I finally understood the angle thing and where to place the highlights and I had missed putting sky color on the tops of the rocks if they weren't at the 90 degree angle. so anytime you want to repeat something Jo please do so.
Ok I will go thru the light principlaes again because I have gotten several requests.

Eddypus1
03-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks Johannes for another great lesson. Your golden nuggets on reflected light was a real eye-opener. I'm not sure I understood about overcast skies. Is the light brightest on objects that are flat with the dome at 12 o'clock?

paintncook
03-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Great lesson! I never thought of reflected sky light on rocks before and can't wait to see our lesson photo. Due to previous commitment, I may not be able to attend the entire class to the end next Sat. Is there a way to see a replay or do I have to wait until you make it available for sale?

libby2
03-25-2012, 11:16 AM
I agree, another great lesson, packed with valuable information. Thank you Johannes!

I'm so glad you went over the light principles, I almost have it, just don't quite have the cloudy day figured out....can't grasp the "dome" concept. Nearest I can figure is that it's similar to sunny but with blue light (?). So I'll be paying close attention when you go over it again.

libby2
03-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Thank you nicker312 for the beautiful photos! I'm going to try to get some painting time in today, so maybe I can practice on these. :)

libby2
03-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Johannes, do you want us to post our homework in the thread where you announce it, or just keep a record of it?

Artistic License
03-25-2012, 02:57 PM
I planned my day around the Painting Rocks class and we love power late in the morning and it didn't come back until 3:30 p.m., eastern. So disapppointed!

paintncook
03-25-2012, 03:57 PM
I agree, another great lesson, packed with valuable information. Thank you Johannes!

I'm so glad you went over the light principles, I almost have it, just don't quite have the cloudy day figured out....can't grasp the "dome" concept. Nearest I can figure is that it's similar to sunny but with blue light (?). So I'll be paying close attention when you go over it again.

As I understand it, when the sun is out, the light direction from the sun is the most powerful and over-rides sky light on objects directly lit by the sun and objects indirectly lit by the sun shares light from the sun and the sky. When the sun is out of the picture, so to speak, (behind clouds), you have only the dome (sky) light on objects. Dome light is equal from all angles, unlike sunlight, on objects. However dome light can also be blocked with less sky light hitting the object at certain places if the sky (dome) light is blocked. Envision a dome over the earth with the light coming from it equally from all angles and an object on the earth receiving that light. If you draw arrows down from all angles of the dome, you will see that certain areas of the object may receive more dome light than other areas of the object. I hope I have explained this clearly enough as it is difficult to explain without drawing a diagram.

piggiepie
03-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks for all these classes, Jo. I feel like my love of painting has been renewed. I haven't felt this alive in years! Cheers!

Artistic License
03-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Meant to say we lost our power and I missed the class on painting rocks. I so needed that class.

Artcat369
03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Hi Johannes,
Another great class, chock full of golden nuggets! at the very minimum, you have taught me how to "look" at both what I'm painting, how I'll paint it, and to glean from other artist's work. a HUGE thank you!
Now, I have a few questions for you.
First, do you think that correct values contribute most to the success of a painting over color temperature? Vice Versa? Equal?

Second, (and as an extension of the 1st question), how do artists get "away" with painting highlights a cool white, or even blue? I've seen highlights on rocks, the sides of people's faces, etc. painted with what looks like cerulean blue (especially in watercolors), and it "works"! So, if one does highlight with blues (even pale greenish blues), how does one handle the planes receiving incrementally less light? And then, for the reflected light in shadow, I've seen yellow-reds work very well in these same works.

Third, could you please also tell us what colors (including temp and saturation) you use for a "sample" rock? What colors for the plane 90 degrees to the sun? 120 degrees? then 160 degrees? Shadow? Your reflected light?

Fourth, did you post your "oil painting masterst" list somewhere? I'd like to download it and study their works. So far, my favs are Clyde Aspevig, Scott Christiansen, and Richard McKinley...I dream about my style developing from a combo of these fantastic artists.

Fifth, what do you think of Colley Whisson's work? I "found" him (well, his book, actually), online a few years ago. He does what you suggested, as he simplifies to extremes. If you go to his website, take a look at "August Afternoon"...I LOVE it! Actually, I think the works in his book are much better than what's currently on his site.

Finally, have you checked out Roland Lee's watercolors? He's an artist from St. George, Utah - I had the pleasure of discovering him for my town's watercolor society annual workshop. He paints Lake Powell's water and cliffs - very colorful, very fresh...lovely!

Would love to hear your discussion on the above. Thank so much, again - you've opened my eyes so very much, and have inspired me to return to art after several years of disabling health problems. Art is really the only activity I can do at this point - and, I hope to spend the next year learning and painting!!! Ciao, Artcat (Adele):wave:

Johannes Instructor
03-25-2012, 08:57 PM
Thanks Johannes for another great lesson. Your golden nuggets on reflected light was a real eye-opener. I'm not sure I understood about overcast skies. Is the light brightest on objects that are flat with the dome at 12 o'clock?
Think of it this way. Whatever gets more dome light from the blue sky (assuming the sun is not hitting that area because of a cast shadow or heavily overcast day) gets more light. In this case the horizontal plane becomes the lightest. If the sun is out and hitting an object whatever lines up exactly at 90 degrees with the sunlight gets 100% sunlight. This would not apply to the horizontal plane unless the sun is exactly above it.

Johannes Instructor
03-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Johannes, do you want us to post our homework in the thread where you announce it, or just keep a record of it?
There is a specific thread for it

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15790602#post15790602

Johannes Instructor
03-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Great lesson! I never thought of reflected sky light on rocks before and can't wait to see our lesson photo. Due to previous commitment, I may not be able to attend the entire class to the end next Sat. Is there a way to see a replay or do I have to wait until you make it available for sale?
Only when they are up for sale.

Johannes Instructor
03-25-2012, 09:09 PM
As I understand it, when the sun is out, the light direction from the sun is the most powerful and over-rides sky light on objects directly lit by the sun and objects indirectly lit by the sun shares light from the sun and the sky. When the sun is out of the picture, so to speak, (behind clouds), you have only the dome (sky) light on objects. Dome light is equal from all angles, unlike sunlight, on objects. However dome light can also be blocked with less sky light hitting the object at certain places if the sky (dome) light is blocked. Envision a dome over the earth with the light coming from it equally from all angles and an object on the earth receiving that light. If you draw arrows down from all angles of the dome, you will see that certain areas of the object may receive more dome light than other areas of the object. I hope I have explained this clearly enough as it is difficult to explain without drawing a diagram.

Dome light is equal from all angles yes/ but how much an object gets from the dome light determines how much light it gets. In most cases the top horizontal angles become lighter because that angle picks up most of the sky light.

Johannes Instructor
03-25-2012, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=Artcat369]Hi Johannes,
Another great class, chock full of golden nuggets! at the very minimum, you have taught me how to "look" at both what I'm painting, how I'll paint it, and to glean from other artist's work. a HUGE thank you!
Now, I have a few questions for you.
First, do you think that correct values contribute most to the success of a painting over color temperature? Vice Versa? Equal?

I hear this all the time from fellow artists is that given the right values any color spectrum will work. Maybe you can use Robert Genn's work as an example of this. For me though the emotional reaction from the viewer is what makes a painting succeed. Usually a mood does the job.

Second, (and as an extension of the 1st question), how do artists get "away" with painting highlights a cool white, or even blue? I've seen highlights on rocks, the sides of people's faces, etc. painted with what looks like cerulean blue (especially in watercolors), and it "works"! So, if one does highlight with blues (even pale greenish blues), how does one handle the planes receiving incrementally less light? And then, for the reflected light in shadow, I've seen yellow-reds work very well in these same works.
I would like to see an example of what you are referring to. Do you mean a blue brush stroke of paint in the shadow side of a portrait? If so, this would be referred to reflected light. Highlight refers to where the face would get direct 90 degree angle light.

Third, could you please also tell us what colors (including temp and saturation) you use for a "sample" rock? What colors for the plane 90 degrees to the sun? 120 degrees? then 160 degrees? Shadow? Your reflected light?

For rocks:
90 degree highlight - titanium white plus very little warm color such as yellow ochre, cadmium orange, pink, The would the lightest value.
120 degree add more warm hue to darken but cool with blue
160 degrees add even darker warms and increase blue. Add touches of non mixed blue for reflected light
Reflected light tends to be quite warm because it does not pick up the blue dome light.

Fourth, did you post your "oil painting masterst" list somewhere? I'd like to download it and study their works. So far, my favs are Clyde Aspevig, Scott Christiansen, and Richard McKinley...I dream about my style developing from a combo of these fantastic artists.
Eclectic approach is the way to see this.
Scott = abstract design
Clyde = textures, melodic lines.
Richard = impressionism. Realism is not important.

Fifth, what do you think of Colley Whisson's work? I "found" him (well, his book, actually), online a few years ago. He does what you suggested, as he simplifies to extremes. If you go to his website, take a look at "August Afternoon"...I LOVE it! Actually, I think the works in his book are much better than what's currently on his site.
Good to see how realism is not the key and how he creates imprssionist backgrounds.

Finally, have you checked out Roland Lee's watercolors? He's an artist from St. George, Utah - I had the pleasure of discovering him for my town's watercolor society annual workshop. He paints Lake Powell's water and cliffs - very colorful, very fresh...lovely!
Good to learn the advantage of negative painting to create depth.

Would love to hear your discussion on the above. Thank so much, again - you've opened my eyes so very much, and have inspired me to return to art after several years of disabling health problems. Art is really the only activity I can do at this point - and, I hope to spend the next year learning and painting!!! C

hewill4giveu
03-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Upset because im using wifi card its at the end of the month and i only had a little left. So went to Mcdonalds to watch it and my battery died after an hour and I MISSED SOOOO MUCH UGH!! Really needed it to Sigh.
Was going to delete this but there is no delete button in here ?

paintncook
03-26-2012, 12:06 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2012/1027192-Rock_pile.JPG I want to share a picture of rocks in my back yard if I can figure out how to do it. If I do, you'll see that my rocks are rather potato looking - another aspect that creates a challenge to paint.

Artcat369
03-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Hi Jo,
as usual, great, thorough responses and help. I'll try to find those examples of blue highlights.
I liked how you broke down the 3 artist's attributes...it makes sense, now, that I appreciated something quite different from each of them.
I'd like to meld the best qualities of these 3 (and yours, of course!), and Colley Whisson's approach to my own landscape oils and panpastel works.
As far as the watercolor goes, I'd like to use the principles you're teaching us, the "pearls" from the 4 oil artists I love, and some of the techniques of Roland Lee and M. Atkinson (negative painting, depth, composition, etc.) and Nita Engle (the spontaneity of pouring, and great colors/values.)
It's going to be an exciting ride!:D

Johannes Instructor
03-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Hi Jo,
as usual, great, thorough responses and help. I'll try to find those examples of blue highlights.
I liked how you broke down the 3 artist's attributes...it makes sense, now, that I appreciated something quite different from each of them.
I'd like to meld the best qualities of these 3 (and yours, of course!), and Colley Whisson's approach to my own landscape oils and panpastel works.
As far as the watercolor goes, I'd like to use the principles you're teaching us, the "pearls" from the 4 oil artists I love, and some of the techniques of Roland Lee and M. Atkinson (negative painting, depth, composition, etc.) and Nita Engle (the spontaneity of pouring, and great colors/values.)
It's going to be an exciting ride!:D
I don't remember who said this but a predimonant well knows artist once said that we are to be thieves. "Steal ideas from each other"!

mlgk
03-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Will the reflected light from green grass be warm also?

libby2
03-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Thank you paintncook for trying to explain it to me, I've been trying to process it, I kind of get it, trying to envision what Johannes was saying last week along w/his diagram. It's just weird to me. The sun is in one place, light comes from it in a straight line...... Is this what you are trying to say: that the clouds and atmosphere disperses the light so that it comes from all angles? (please keep in mind that I've had some neurological damage and reading & understanding is difficult, esp. long complex text, I'm not trying to be difficult) Thanks!

Amandine
03-27-2012, 06:51 PM
This morning, I went out to take some photos for this week homework (too windy and too cold to draw outside, on the spot). We have plenty of rocks of any size right on our lot so I now have references for rocks of many shapes. But, what really surprised me are the colors I now see on what I always tought was dull grey or dull beige. I see blue, pink, green, red, orange. WOW !!! If now I could only paint those shapes and colors correctly, I'll be one of your happiest student Johannes.

bearcreekartist
03-27-2012, 07:27 PM
johannes, that was a great class on painting rocks, cant wait for the demo on Sat. I like to paint the sea stacks her on the Washington coast and this class will be helpful. Also noticed that of all your favorite artists you listed , I think only one is a women, the other 19 are men, whats that all about :(
anyhow, thanks again for the classes, they are wonderful.

libby2
03-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Dome light is equal from all angles yes/ but how much an object gets from the dome light determines how much light it gets. In most cases the top horizontal angles become lighter because that angle picks up most of the sky light.
Dome light is confusing to me, is this what you mean? Thank you!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Mar-2012/977256-Cloudy.jpg

Artcat369
03-27-2012, 09:20 PM
I don't remember who said this but a predimonant well knows artist once said that we are to be thieves. "Steal ideas from each other"!

Hi Jo - Interesting quote. I'm assuming it's mostly talking about approach, color, and technique rather than subject matter. Which brings me to a question - say an artist wished to paint subject matter that he found in a magazine. Just how much of the subject could be used/copied without plagerizing or copyright infringement? Could said photo be "inspiration" if it's not copied exactly? Is there a percentage of the subject matter that's involved?

carol_lee
03-27-2012, 11:16 PM
Also noticed that of all your favorite artists you listed , I think only one is a women, the other 19 are men,can anyone please point me to where this list is??

Amandine
03-28-2012, 07:46 AM
can anyone please point me to where this list is??
Jo mentioned he would post it on WC. Don't know when and in which thread though.

paintncook
03-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Thank you paintncook for trying to explain it to me, I've been trying to process it, I kind of get it, trying to envision what Johannes was saying last week along w/his diagram. It's just weird to me. The sun is in one place, light comes from it in a straight line...... Is this what you are trying to say: that the clouds and atmosphere disperses the light so that it comes from all angles? (please keep in mind that I've had some neurological damage and reading & understanding is difficult, esp. long complex text, I'm not trying to be difficult) Thanks!

I think that was what I was trying to say and Johannes went on to explain it further as to how some areas receive more sky light than others. I can't wait until our next lesson!

libby2
03-28-2012, 06:23 PM
I think that was what I was trying to say and Johannes went on to explain it further as to how some areas receive more sky light than others. I can't wait until our next lesson!

OK thanks! I can't wait either. :)

suekeycreates
03-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks, Jo! The Webinar exceeded all expectations, with so much useful information and great slides. I was a little disappointed not being able to see other participants comments in the Go-To-Meeting format, so I may trying running it next time on Justin TV to see text messages.

The homework assignment was simple and surprising enjoyable. Rocks are much less intimidating when approached as tonal planes. The lighting information was a bit complex, but reading reviews here in the forum made it a lot clearer.

Off to locate my protractor!
Suekey

bearcreekartist
03-29-2012, 01:22 AM
Jo gave the list during lecture, dont know where it is but here is what i wrote down, hope it helps.Albrechsten, andrew Peters, clive Aspevig, Kenn Backhaus,Scott Christinsen,Dan Gerhartz, David Curtis, Dan young, Donald Demers. Doug Higgins, John Encinios,Frank Serrano, Gerald Harvey, Joe Pacquet, John Budicin, Katheryn Stats, Matt Smith, Mian Situ, Poon, and Richard McKinley. not sure is the spelling is correct on all, I was trying to write them down quickly.]

Improv
03-29-2012, 02:14 AM
clive Aspevig,

not sure is the spelling is correct on all, I was trying to write them down quickly.]

In the interest of accuracy, his name is CLYDE Aspevig and his website is here:

http://www.clydeaspevig.com/

Johannes Instructor
03-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Jo gave the list during lecture, dont know where it is but here is what i wrote down, hope it helps.Albrechsten, andrew Peters, clive Aspevig, Kenn Backhaus,Scott Christinsen,Dan Gerhartz, David Curtis, Dan young, Donald Demers. Doug Higgins, John Encinios,Frank Serrano, Gerald Harvey, Joe Pacquet, John Budicin, Katheryn Stats, Matt Smith, Mian Situ, Poon, and Richard McKinley. not sure is the spelling is correct on all, I was trying to write them down quickly.]
List looks good to me. Except Clyde Aspevig

kat5meow
03-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Enjoyed this class and the waterfall classes as well. Can't wait for the demo on Saturday:cat:

GypsyPainter
03-30-2012, 04:19 PM
I cannot figure out why others have problems with receiving the streaming on the webinar or Justin - I have been doing Johannes' classes for over a year and not once have I had a problem. I have been taking various classes for over 30 years and have learned more from you Johannes during this time than all of the other classes combined. I don't do much communicating with the class or you; however, I do work on your techniques as time allows me. I hope to come to your studio for classes at some point in the future. I am set for surgery mid April so the rock classes will be it for awhile... but hope to be able to catch some more as soon as I can sit at my PC. Thank you, Johannes, for the wonderful techniques and "golden nuggets" you have taught me.
BarbC

libby2
03-30-2012, 04:57 PM
BypsyPainter, There was a technical problem last week with the webinar, I can't explain what it was, but I know a lot of people experienced it. I bet the kinks will be worked out by tomorrow's class.

Hope your surgery goes well and you recover quickly.

sapphirelynn
03-31-2012, 11:26 AM
GypsyPainter I too have not had any problems with Justin in the past but I did last week so there must have been a glitch somewhere. Good luck with your surgery

jezurus
03-31-2012, 12:54 PM
I was looking forward to the webinar too. However, GoTo Meeting was full at 20 minutes before the webinar, Option 1 on Justin TV had no sound and just one still picture. JTV Option 2 had very jerky sound and video, and Option 3 and 4 didn't work at all.

Don't know what the problem was (my sound and video work fine on other signals, as do the commercials on JTV) but this was by far the worst signal reception for me in the year that I have been watching JV's webinars.

If I hadn't had good signals before, I would be tempted to give up.

Oh well, wait for the video downloads. I'd rather pay and be able to watch the lessons! :rolleyes:
So sorry you had trouble, I did not myself, at least none that would bother me, hopw this week is better for you!

Cat555
03-31-2012, 01:24 PM
I have just returned from Johannes' workshop in Hamilton and I will tell you that no one hates to do rocks more than I . I encourage all of you to sign up for this free webinar and find out the many 'secrets' to painting more realistic rocks. Once you get this theory, rocks should come a little easier to paint. I never realized just how many painters have this 'rock block' ..so we are not alone !

I've been taking Johannes' art webinars since December 2011, and they are fabulous! The best instructor I've ever had, online or in real life.

I love your rocks in this painting - awesome shapes and planes. :)

paintncook
03-31-2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks Jo for a great demo today. I experienced many problems on Justin unfortunately. It kept cutting out and I had to keep switching from option one to option 2, etc. Hope next week is problem free as I do watercolor and don't want to miss any of your nuggets of wisdom. You are a great, fantastic teacher!!!

eslart
03-31-2012, 03:38 PM
Johannes Commandments:
1Thou shalt create abstract shapes.
2. Thou shalt create eye flow.
3. Thou shalt create graceful and melodic lines.
4. thou shalt variegate the colors.
5. thou shalt create depth.
6. Thou shalt not clone.
7. Thou shalt simplify
8. Thou shalt create gradient planes.
9. Thou shalt respect the no fly zones.
10. thou shalt vary edges.
11. Thou shalt not paint dark areas that are too dark.
12. Thou shalt have two different sides to the painting.
13. Thou shalt have interest every 2 inches.
14. Thou shalt harmonize colors.

Darlene Livingston
03-31-2012, 03:40 PM
What a great class last week.

Nanazab
03-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Dear Johannes,
Moved to Vancouver Island... am so happy to be taking instruction from you again on Rocks. Have joined Wet Canvas community.
Todays lesson was fabulous.
Nanazab

nicker312
03-31-2012, 04:08 PM
Another great class! Thank you Johannes.

SusieQ2002
03-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Today's class was wonderful. Everything on Justin TV worked perfectly. The comments and suggestions Jo made on the homework really helped me to understand the process of creating better rocks in my paintings. He makes it appear so easy. I just need to remember all his terrific rules. I also enjoy all the great tips and remarks from all the people in the chat room. I can't wait until next week. :grouphug:

Amandine
03-31-2012, 04:22 PM
Review of homework was so formative this afternoon (lucky I am, had 3 submissions criticized). I find it really hard to do rocks correctly, I now know better what to do and not to do. Thanks Jo. :thumbsup:

paintncook
03-31-2012, 04:24 PM
Today's class was wonderful. Everything on Justin TV worked perfectly. The comments and suggestions Jo made on the homework really helped me to understand the process of creating better rocks in my paintings. He makes it appear so easy. I just need to remember all his terrific rules. I also enjoy all the great tips and remarks from all the people in the chat room. I can't wait until next week. :grouphug:

I'm glad the Justin TV worked for somebody, 'cause it sure didn't for me. It was cutting out constantly, losing audio, losing video and losing both!! Very frustrating when I don't want to miss even one word of what Jo is saying or seeing even one brushstroke. Sure hope the watercolor demo works out better since that is my medium. Otherwise, he is one great instructor, for sure!!!

jeanmcc
03-31-2012, 04:50 PM
Class today was great! Have really enjoy every class I taken from you, Jo. Plus I've never had a bit of a problem with sound or picture in any class I have been in. Thanks so much for all you are offering us.

libby2
03-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Johannes thank you for another wonderful class. You give out a tremendous amount of information that would take years and years for me to figure out, if at all. I really appreciate your sharing it with us.

There is one thing that I'm still confused about: dome light. I understand direct light, that was simple for me because when you were explaining it in the waterfall class I could look out the window and see the sun's effect on the snow. Convenient, eh? It's the dome light that's still a puzzle, tho I think I have it figured out, but before it's etched into my brain, would you tell me if this is right? Attached is a sketch to illustrate what I think it is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2012/977256-Cloudy.jpg

Thank you for your help!

sapphirelynn
03-31-2012, 07:35 PM
wonderful class, I think I now can paint rocks, thank you so much..

Nanazab I too live on Van. Isl. where abouts are you? I live near the Nan. Airport

Johannes Instructor
03-31-2012, 07:51 PM
Johannes thank you for another wonderful class. You give out a tremendous amount of information that would take years and years for me to figure out, if at all. I really appreciate your sharing it with us.

There is one thing that I'm still confused about: dome light. I understand direct light, that was simple for me because when you were explaining it in the waterfall class I could look out the window and see the sun's effect on the snow. Convenient, eh? It's the dome light that's still a puzzle, tho I think I have it figured out, but before it's etched into my brain, would you tell me if this is right? Attached is a sketch to illustrate what I think it is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2012/977256-Cloudy.jpg

Thank you for your help!
Yes, you got it but also a clear blue sky is also dome light. For example if a rock is in a cast shadow all it gets is the blue light from the sky and reflected light from objects around. In this case the top of the rock gets more dome light.

painterted
03-31-2012, 08:30 PM
Johannes would you mind putting up that painting you did today?

thanks ted

winecountry
03-31-2012, 09:03 PM
for the very first time I was able to get both picture AND sound on my mobile device (ipad) both in Justin, Live and Goto meeting. Before I mostly only got sound and that was in fits and starts....thanks so much for fixing the tech

libby2
03-31-2012, 09:18 PM
Yes, you got it but also a clear blue sky is also dome light. For example if a rock is in a cast shadow all it gets is the blue light from the sky and reflected light from objects around. In this case the top of the rock gets more dome light.

Oh thank you!

piggiepie
03-31-2012, 10:46 PM
Great class as always! I was just wondering if you were going to post the palette selection for the PAN PASTELS! I bought the landscape pastels which come with 20 pan pastels. I feel like I'm missing some colors. I'm just wondering what your thoughts are! Thanks. Annie M.

Johannes Instructor
04-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Great class as always! I was just wondering if you were going to post the palette selection for the PAN PASTELS! I bought the landscape pastels which come with 20 pan pastels. I feel like I'm missing some colors. I'm just wondering what your thoughts are! Thanks. Annie M.
I believe I will be able to eliminate 30 non essential colors from the 50 important ones. I will get a list together in about a week.

AshlandCreekArt
04-01-2012, 05:30 AM
Very good class. I spent a few hours tonight getting some practice. Hope to paint again tomorrow and try to hone the skills you're teaching. So very helpful.

I'm going to purchase you series on buildings. Found one in Napa last week that just has to be painted.

Thanks,
rick

sylvia
04-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Great class..took me awhile to stop being upset by your treatment of my first effort but then saw the solutions and loved the class..again a really useful class. was a homework assignment called for or just try the first class again???:wave:

Amandine
04-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Great class..took me awhile to stop being upset by your treatment of my first effort but then ... ... ...
What I forgot to mention in my preceding post (# 71) is that, out of 3 submissions, only one was agreed by Johannes. Two were wrong. Sylvia, don't be upset. For myself, I learn more by doing errors and having them raised and corrected than doing something being said it's correct but I don't exactly know why and where it's o.k. ;)

lildip
04-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Of all the art classes I've ever taken, never have I learned as much as you, Johannes, haven taught. I only wish I could purchase these courses in any form other than PDF download. I'm not computer savvy, so at my age I need to have something easy to use. I'd buy the whole shebang if they were on tapes, or discs. Thankyou for wonderful lessons, though, and other advice as well (like reccommended books etc). Lildip:)

lildip
04-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Of all the art classes I've ever taken, never have I learned as much as you, Johannes, haven taught. I only wish I could purchase these courses in any form other than PDF download. I'm not computer savvy, so at my age I need to have something easy to use. I'd buy the whole shebang if they were on tapes, or discs. Thankyou for wonderful lessons, though, and other advice as well (like reccommended books etc). Lildip:)I can't wait til next week.

Rosemarie
04-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Of all the art classes I've ever taken, never have I learned as much as you, Johannes, haven taught. I only wish I could purchase these courses in any form other than PDF download. I'm not computer savvy, so at my age I need to have something easy to use. I'd buy the whole shebang if they were on tapes, or discs. Thankyou for wonderful lessons, though, and other advice as well (like reccommended books etc). Lildip:)

They are video download that you can burn to disc or save on USB-discs/sticks

Johannes Instructor
04-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Registration for the next course is noe open
Essentials of Painting Grass and Snow

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2012/135220-Twilight_at_the_Farm_promo.jpg

Want to learn to paint grass where you feel you want to have a picnic on it? How about snow so convincing you feel like skiing? Learn the techniques to make would normally would be these flat uninteresting surfaces into something more meaningful. Join Johannes, an official art instructor for F&W Media, the publishers of several art magazines seen in most bookstores worldwide, and thousands of his worldwide students on the most advanced online and successful teaching system. This workshop will include demos in oils, watercolor and pastels. You don't want to miss it. It is free!

TIME: 1:00 to 3:00 PM EST.
DATES: 3 Saturdays: May 12, 19 and 26
Fee: Free (Sponsored by F&W Media Inc. publishers of the Artist's Magazine.)
A certificate of completion will be given to those who attend the 3 Saturdays.
REQUIREMENTS: A computer with a broadband internet connection, sound coming out of your computer and enough ram.

To register:
https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/990769624

Improv
04-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Registration for the next course is now open

And...registered! :D

Thanks, Jo, it looks useful-looking forward to it! :thumbsup:

Doug

Amandine
04-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Want to learn to paint grass where you feel you want to have a picnic on it? How about snow so convincing you feel like skiing?
Just registered so, will have picnic and skiing ... (won't try picnic on snow and skiing on grass though :lol: )
Another great course coming. :thumbsup: Really happy we'll have such an opportunity to learn something not easy to paint.

piggiepie
04-03-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm already signed up for the class! :clap:

I'm so amazed at the homework submitted as well as the people and countries posting here! I feel like we are our own little United Nations of Artists. I'm so proud to be part of this "melodic line" and this "gradient plane" of people! :grouphug:

Nora
04-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Enjoyed the "rock" lesson tremendously. I didn't realize there was so much to learn about rocks. Like people, nearly every one is different. Thank you Johannes!

Malinda252
04-04-2012, 04:48 PM

This Webinar is held every week on Saturday, from:
May 12, 2012 to May 26, 2012 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM EDT

it's not on the sidebar where it is usually.... it's on the bottom of the home page!

*grins*
Malinda

Johannes Instructor
04-04-2012, 05:37 PM

This Webinar is held every week on Saturday, from:
May 12, 2012 to May 26, 2012 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM EDT

it's not on the sidebar where it is usually.... it's on the bottom of the home page!

*grins*
Malinda
??????? I don't understand this message.

Graleth
04-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Hi gang,
I'm running out of time and wondering what to do next. Did a quick watercolour of falls from high position (imagined), then did drawing from lower position, as thought this probably what I should have done to start with. Realised that rocks look too angular and cloned ?

Should I:
A Post watercolour 1.
B Finish drawing in watercolour.
C Attempt drawing B in Acrylic.

Pics did not upload, but are on my website. (Scroll down under sketchbook).

http://www.ivorcogdell.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Page-gallery-2012.htm

Thanks all,

Ivor

piggiepie
04-04-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm sure they are all worth looking at. You should post the one you feel most comfortable with or the one you want help with. I'm quite a newbie to this site but I trust everyone here to be kind and helpful.

spudsmom
04-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Jo,

Did you post a picture of the finished Acadia painting you did this past Saturday? I sketched it out on my canvas but haven't had time to paint until this evening and I wanted to take a quick look at yours.

Thanks,
Sherri

afkar
04-07-2012, 04:51 PM
I have enjoyed this class so much & learned heaps. I just wish the time difference isn't so great between there & Australia.. thank goodness it ends up being early Sunday morning here.
I am definitely going to buy the classes as I can to make up for the ones I have missed

Amandine
04-07-2012, 05:01 PM
So funny you are Jo. I will always remember your joke about mustard on a hot dog or on a napkin but not on a rock. :lol: This is such a good way to teach, being that colourful.

spudsmom
04-07-2012, 05:02 PM
LOved the class on rocks. I have learned so much and have been working along with the pan pastels during class. Today's rocks came out so much better than my earlier versions. I guess that means practice makes perfect..or just maybe less potatoes.

I'm hoping to make it to Acadia for at least part of the workshop. I just got my teaching schedule changed so now i have to ask for that Friday off...otherwise I feel a sick day coming on ;-)

Sherri

paintncook
04-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Johannes, thanks for a great rock lesson, my first whole 3 day session since joining up. Was disappointed you didn't use my painting to critique, but see where I went wrong judging from what you said about the others and I kinda knew it intuitively before. Never used pastels and wasn't much impressed until I saw you demonstrate them today. It takes a 'master' hand, I think. Now, not only do I have to save up money to purchase your lessons, but some PanPastels as well to use with my watercolors!
Your new fan, Kathy, AKA paintncook

Johannes Instructor
04-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Here are the paintings seen during the demos in the rocks course.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2012/135220-Finished_Painting_Waterfall.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2012/135220-Finished_Painting_Acadia.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2012/135220-Finished_Painting_Seascape.jpg

nougat
04-08-2012, 12:35 AM
Hello Jo - thank you for a wonderful course - i enjoyed it immensely even tho i have been soooo busy that i have not been able to do any homework (i'm back at work after more than 30 years!!!)
i'm really looking forward to joining the live sessions on sundays and of course have already registered for the snow and grass lessons :)
I particularly looooved your last painting of the rocks with the seascape - the wave is quite incredible!! i can hardly wait for the seascape class :)
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :) you are an exceptional artist and teacher.

Johannes Instructor
04-08-2012, 07:20 AM
Johannes, thanks for a great rock lesson, my first whole 3 day session since joining up. Was disappointed you didn't use my painting to critique, but see where I went wrong judging from what you said about the others and I kinda knew it intuitively before. Never used pastels and wasn't much impressed until I saw you demonstrate them today. It takes a 'master' hand, I think. Now, not only do I have to save up money to purchase your lessons, but some PanPastels as well to use with my watercolors!
Your new fan, Kathy, AKA paintncookSorry but you are not the only one whose submission I did not address. There are just too many so I use the general amount to make a general point.

pamshowcase
04-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Great series! One thing for sure, Jo now knows if he says use red and orange he will ge t RED and ORANGE. It's funny so many of us did that.....me too.
Pam

paskavau
04-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Johannes, thank you for that great class. I learned so much. Painting rocks was so difficult to me in the past, now I begin to understand the correlation between shape, light and color of rocks. You do make me a better artist.

I attended each webinar since January 2011 and of course I registered for the snow and grass classes. Hope I will have time to visit your life class next sunday.

Klaus

chodi
04-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Hi, Johannes, Thank you for the very helpful class on rocks and for posting your paintings. Diane

paintncook
04-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Sorry but you are not the only one whose submission I did not address. There are just too many so I use the general amount to make a general point.
I realize you can't critique them all - way too many! When I saw mine pop up as you were scanning through them, I had my hopes up,:crossfingers: lol.
Someone posted about a seascape class. Is a seascape class in the works?

Sandy G
04-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Johannes,

Thank you so much for another great class! Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to come to you in person for some much needed instruction!

Have registered for Essentials of Snow & Grass, and am so looking forward to it!!

Sandy G.

xli
04-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Thank you so much Johannes for your cretique on my painting. I am very encouraged by your words and I will see you next sunday for the 6 hours instruction. Great idea and I am sure it will be a great treat for us, again like all the other lessens. Thank you.

Sleepingbare
04-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Johannes - I have been enjoying your webinars and hope to make a first attempt at painting rocks. Is there a 'homework' assignment after your last rock class?
Many thanks for your instruction and inspiration.
Shirley

Johannes Instructor
04-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Johannes - I have been enjoying your webinars and hope to make a first attempt at painting rocks. Is there a 'homework' assignment after your last rock class?
Many thanks for your instruction and inspiration.
Shirley
No I did not assign homework because I would have no way to verbally address over 50 submissions.

seahorsy
04-14-2012, 07:42 PM
This was a wonderful, informative class. Took lots of notes. Only hope I can put them to good use in future. Just yesterday, ordered a 20 pan painting set online, so can't wait to get them. I am a watercolorist, as that was the media I was introduced to, but hope to learn and apply so much more with the PP..

Rosemarie
04-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Thank you, Johannes for another wonderful class. :wave:
I didn't think there was so much to learn about rocks.
I have a question. When the rocks have a lot of lichen and moss how do you handle that when you paint? Totally ignore those colours or use them? What are your thoughts?

artisticjc
04-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Jo, not sure if this is the right place to post this but I watched your Sunday class yesterday, painted along and loved it! Did not get finished and am wondering if I heard you say you are posting the video somewhere for further viewing? That would be so wonderful for us who didn't think it was so easy painting that grassy foreground and must do it again. I am certainly looking forward to the Grass and Snow classes next month. Really need that subject! Thanks a million for everything you have taught!! Joanne Cook:wave: