PDA

View Full Version : Lillies

Nitsa
05-03-2003, 06:54 PM
I bought a bunch of Lillies this week, in my weekly shop, and this afternoon some of them exploded into bloom....Needless to say, this got my fingers twitching and out came the paints!
I haven't finished yet, just the few petals on the bloom and some finishing touches to add.
I like the composition except for the leaf on the right that seems to be going off the paper into no mans land and I may end up cropping that one out.....What d'ya think?

Used my new hookers green, purple madder, FUB and lemon yellow (NT) for the leavesWindsor orange, lemon yellow, purple madder and FUB for the bloom and buds.
These are painted on Bockingford 1/4 sheet of TINTED cream paper......I like the Bockingford to work on alot, it allows you extra time when you want to go back and re-touch an area. The cream colour was a challenge at first but it really compliments these Lillies as the whites aren't white at all but more of a creamy yellow, so this was perfect for the job...I don't think I lost highlights because of it do you?

Anyway.....Scuse the pic, it's a tad late for my digi and I am tired! LOL, I will re-post when I am done and the sun is out! LOL!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2003/18769-Pict1099.JPG

mpopinz
05-03-2003, 07:34 PM
Anita,

There is only so much one can say about your work. These are beautiful, as are all your paintings.

No, I can't critique it, I just know that I like what I see.

Jprice022
05-03-2003, 08:18 PM
Looking good so far. Please post the final.

artmom
05-03-2003, 08:49 PM
Please post the final, looks good so far.:)

Lyn

Aselka
05-03-2003, 09:50 PM
Looks really great so far. Very nice and precise underdrawing and great colors. I'm really impatient to see more progress.

Aselka

KathyJB
05-04-2003, 12:01 AM
WOW I cant believe this!! awesome!!!
bravo so far cant wait to see the rest.
Kathy

CharM
05-04-2003, 12:07 AM
Anita, your painting is just beautiful! In using tinted paper, will you then leave the background without painting anything behind the lily? I've read about these papers, but because I'm so new, I haven't invested in any... Please post your completed painting!!!:clap:

lyn lynch
05-04-2003, 12:17 AM
It's lovely.
This work could be matted to the largest width of the right side leaf so it is actually under the mat. This would bring the leab below its bottom also under the matt; thus, both leaves would be going out at their widest point and imo adding interest; I like a work to go off the matt as long as it is not skinny bits. Skinny bits will look like a compostion error. If this is what you meant by "crop", I guess I am in agreement. :D

Nitsa
05-04-2003, 06:42 AM
TY so much for your compliments! :)
I'm afraid the digi is still behaving badly but I think this pic is a little better than the last.
I really wish you could see the colours in the leaves more :(
Am I done?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2003/18769-BOCKINGFORDLILLIES.JPG

artmom
05-04-2003, 06:53 AM
Beautiful! This picture is much better! IMO, top leaf a little too blue--need more green in it, or more blue in all the others.

Now, this may be a stupid question: Is this lily lying on something, or is the scan on its side:confused: If it is lying down, shouldn't there be some shadow??

Lyn

Nitsa
05-04-2003, 07:03 AM
Lyn...There is actually more blue in the other leaves but for some reason my digi isn't picking that up?.....The lily is actually standing in a vase but I chose to close in and just paint this specific area of the arrangment.

Does it work ok like this?

Yorky
05-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Beautiful! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Doug

lyn lynch
05-04-2003, 08:23 AM
IMO it works and exceedingly well at that.
Perfect. sign it, seal it, and deliver.
BTW, I loved the lavender tones in the "bad" digi.

Sandy1
05-04-2003, 08:24 AM
I LOVE IT . GREAT JOB. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Crystal Owl
05-04-2003, 09:42 AM
Beautiful job Anita,

I agree about the leaf on the left I'd add a little bit more green in that one.

Irene

Nitsa
05-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Fookie.....TY, there are alot more violet tones in the original! ;)

Sandy.....TY! :)

Irene.....TY!....It is the same tones as all of the other leaves just didn't show in this photo! :confused:

Stacy_Renee
06-02-2003, 08:46 PM
is this a tiger lily? we have some of those blooming in our garden right now.....hmmmmmmmmmmmm....i might just paint some! but it wouldn't turn out as great as this! this is very pretty. i can't really see the cream color in the final photo though...maybe its just the photo....

:cat:

M.A.
06-02-2003, 08:49 PM
Looking good! Love your composition!

Islandpal
06-02-2003, 09:30 PM
Great painting..love the greens

woodsyl
06-02-2003, 09:32 PM
This is gorgeous work!

Sylvi

jocelynsart
06-02-2003, 09:36 PM
It is beautiful. My Mom in Law grows lillies. They are gorgeous flowers. I like the composition here too.
Joss

ArcticRose
06-03-2003, 01:10 AM
Great form and flow to your flower! Lovely colors too!:)

Nitsa
06-03-2003, 03:21 AM
Stacy.....TY. Unfortunately I have a rather cheap digi that manages to catch one or the other aspect of a painting rather than all of them! Looking at purchasing a new one tho'! ;)

Fun.....Thanx, I was a little concerned about the composition at first but it has matted and framed really well. I chose a cream mount and a mahogan frame.

Thanx Sylvi! :)

Joss......TY!I love lillies too but I prefer the white ones, not easy to get hold of here this year tho'!

Artic.......TY!

laudesan
06-03-2003, 05:07 AM
I think it is absolutely gorgeous, and thank you for telling us what colours you used. Very helpful for a newbie like me...........
JJ

Nitsa
06-03-2003, 07:19 AM
YW Laudesan....TY for your comments!