PDA

View Full Version : Wes...done for the oil painting portrait project

artinoils
05-03-2003, 05:58 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-03-2003/7970_wesprogresscompleted.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-03-2003/7970_wescompletedcrop.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Wes...done for the oil painting portrait project
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 10 x 8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Curious if Wes thinks it looks like him.
You can check the photo of Wes and the progress images in the portrait project posted by Artbabe in oil painting.
I'm happy with result.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything? Thinking sideburn a bit long and dark and reflection on far eyeglass looks too much like eyecolor and not reflection.

artbabe21
05-03-2003, 06:39 PM
This so much resembles the reference...as far as likeness...will be interested to see if Scott, Mark or Jim think it has his look in person...I think Wes is busy getting himself married this week end
or next so he may not be around. I'd emailed him to check the project & hadn't heard back when I saw your progress shots!

You did a superb job, it's top drawer and I sure envy your style!!
Be happy with this!!

oops, on second look, tiny nit...perhaps is just me, the sideburn, I'd soften that hard line a little...:) see what happens when you ask questions? lol

andyvry
05-03-2003, 06:42 PM
Really like your handling of this portrait.........the reflection looks fine to me. I suppose because you have painted this and stared at that spot for long enough, you've convinced yourself otherwise. But for me seeing the picture for the first time and just sitting here enjoying it, I can't say I noticed it.........And I read your comment AFTER I'd looked. :) Lovely work. I'm sure Wes will be impressed.

andy.

coulter
05-04-2003, 09:38 PM
I dunno, Wes has always got a great big %$#%^&& grin on his face whenever I've seen him!!! :D - Yeah, like that!!

Seriously Susan, fantastic job!!!!

Mark

Luzie
05-04-2003, 09:55 PM
Your portraits are exquisite and truly stunning. Always such a pleasure to see your posts!
Love the brushwork and the juicy bur not overbearing colors. I think we should have a new project...: you paint each one of us!:D

woodguy
05-04-2003, 11:54 PM
Susan....Luzie and Mark said it all! What a wonderful painting. Jim

bocote
05-05-2003, 01:04 AM
good portrait work. Sideburns and glare in glasses I didnt notice right off and I dont think they need changed, but thats just my opinion. You've got some good talent and it can be seen in the tricky areas - ears, nose, lips, neck. color is good.

nice stuff.

have fun,

bocote

London
05-05-2003, 06:05 AM
Artinoils, You've created a wonderful portrait. The likeness is definitely there and your flesh colors are intriguing.

London

Wayne Gaudon
05-05-2003, 06:38 AM
:clap: oh yea .. great stuff.

Atrsy
05-05-2003, 09:35 AM
I love your loose style. Wish I could paint like that. Really nice job.

Atrsy

Wes Hyde
05-05-2003, 10:21 AM
Susan, I'm very flattered! :D

You did a very good job on me... though I was hoping you'd take artistic license and make me... handsome? or something. ;) :evil:

But seriously, great job.

Wes

artinoils
05-06-2003, 04:13 AM
Thanks all for the very nice comments!:D

Wes, glad you were flattered! Didn't need artistic license you are a handsome:evil: already.:D Your expression in the photo you posted looks to me like you're about to put a dab of paint on the canvas.

Helen Zapata
05-06-2003, 07:42 PM
Sexy portrait! hubba hubba

Helen

pampe
05-06-2003, 07:59 PM
wonderful

taffetta
05-06-2003, 09:34 PM
nice crop.
like the way you've implicated the head fully and not just a surface impression.it has roundness that carries the face all the way round tot heback of the head.
sideburns aren't too harsh at all, esp in crop, but line of glasses is slightly off, it's raising that side of his face more than it should.
Otherwise, really nice job, love the fluidity of paint marks and style.

mattlart
05-07-2003, 12:16 AM
....Jeez,...it's hard for me to take this post seriously,..;as I've been laughing my ass off throughout the thread!

Ok,..it seems that in painting portraits;..the LIKENESS is what's important.................AND,..it's definitely there!!! It looks like Wes!

Hubba Hubba?:D Sexy?:evil: Wes?..I just don't see it,...lol,..but that's probably a good thing! Just kidding...He is a handsome devil.

Now if he would just get rid of his collection of that #@$$$%%^*!!! country music!
Best Wishes,-Scott

artinoils
05-07-2003, 10:15 AM
Helen, :D

Pam, thank you.

Taffeta, I thought the glasses were a bit off.

Scott, LOL...looking at Wes are you? :eek: And in a different way.
Glad you think the likeness is there. If I knew about the music I might have reconsidered...just kidding.

Wes Hyde
05-07-2003, 10:38 AM
How can anyone not like Hank & Lefty & Merle? :confused:

Helen Zapata
05-07-2003, 11:45 AM
I love Merle.. swoon

Helen

Gilberte
05-07-2003, 04:42 PM
I love the colors ... enfin ... I like the whole of it !

artinoils
05-10-2003, 02:34 PM
gilbete, :) thank you.

jerryW
05-11-2003, 09:57 AM
red orange shapes are the life of this work
refresshing and animated results.

Paintonbrush
05-11-2003, 02:42 PM
What would life be like without western? Geez....
wonderful portrait here ....stunning