The leaf is hard to see:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2003/4054-silverleaf.jpg

THE FULL PAINTING:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2003/4054-silver.jpg

thanks
Pam

madmum
05-03-2003, 02:26 PM
Looks like an exploding birthday present, full of streamers and confetti, with the silver leaf the cellophane wrap! I like it!

chookbrown
05-03-2003, 02:49 PM
I like Ruth's description.. and it is lovely.. very lively Pam!!!

chooky :D:D:D

Carrie
05-04-2003, 12:32 AM
I like the piece very much but dang if I can see the foil leaf when I look at the whole piece. I can't differentiate betwixt reflective quality and the part that is just white paper. How many square inches is each leafy area and what did you use to get it to stick to your paper. Sorry to be such a pest. I bought some silver and some gold and yet to use them. I bought a can of spray stuff but I guess you can use anyadhesive to get it to stick to wc paper. ( Would like to boldly go into uncharted galaxys but just a big chicken):p

Carrie

lyn lynch
05-04-2003, 12:46 AM
Beautiful, Pamps.
I am in awe of your talent for the abstract; gee, I wish I had it.
Palette is perfect for silver. Good goin' :D

taghera
05-04-2003, 12:49 AM
Very very nice Pam...well done...:)

sweetbabydill
05-04-2003, 01:00 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
This is very creative. I would love to be able to create something like this. This is very sell-able. But I have to ask where is the silver leaf? Is it the silver paper you rub off or is there a real leaf in there somewhere? I am sorry to be so ignorant. A lot of times I do not see something right before my very eyes. Sometimes people have to point it out and even then I don't always see it. Which can be a real handicap in art. :-)
Nice job.
Carolyn

CharM
05-04-2003, 01:04 AM
Pam, what I don't understand is... if I don't care for abstracts, then why do I love every one you post???? Baffles my mind... This painting is virtually exploding with colour and happiness... I'm certain you'll have no trouble selling this one!!!!

Faafil
05-04-2003, 02:42 AM
nice explosion of color Pamps, great work !

Kate Mc
05-04-2003, 03:24 AM
I love this picture!! It has great rhythm and balance. And I also love the palette. I have two questions:

First, like Carrie, I wonder if it was hard to get the leaf to stick to the paper.

Second, I wonder if it's hard to get the paint to stick to the leaf. Did you have to size it or treat it in any way to keep the pigment from sliding off?

I'd also like to experiment with this and with Chinese Joss paper (thin paper with gold-colored leaf and paint) in watercolors.

Keep it up! Show us more!

Kate

Olga
05-04-2003, 03:29 AM
Pam--you surely have a way with color... and composition.

Very nice and happy abstract

Olga

artmom
05-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by CharM
Pam, what I don't understand is... if I don't care for abstracts, then why do I love every one you post???? Baffles my mind... This painting is virtually exploding with colour and happiness... I'm certain you'll have no trouble selling this one!!!!

Amen! ditto!

Lyn

pampe
05-04-2003, 10:12 AM
wow

shucks

*blush*

gee

who knew you would like it so much

wow

Answers:

Fookie sent me the silver and gold "leafing" stuff...so I don't know much about it.....she also sent the special adhesive to use....called "adhesive size"

I am still learning how to use all this.....apparently you let the glue almost "dry" and then apply the foil.

I used this in the other one I did earlier with gold "leaf"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2003/4054-Petroglyphs.jpg

Carrie...I would be afraid to use spray stuff because I only wanted it in certain spots.

Carolyn...it is a silver "foil" like that you apply to the paper....I can see it on the close up....maybe your monitor is different....I will try to take a new photo today. (There are no actual leaves in there)

Char..that's very kind

Ban...since much of the paint over the "leaf" is sprinkled...I was surprised that it "stuck" so well, but it did. Don't know how it would work with other brands, etc

BTW, the one above was done on rice paper....so your idea will work fine:)

Yorky
05-04-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by madmum
Looks like an exploding birthday present, full of streamers and confetti, with the silver leaf the cellophane wrap! I like it!

Perfect description!

Looks like a Kandinsky to me!

Doug

pampe
05-04-2003, 12:42 PM
thank you DOug.......

Kate Mc
05-04-2003, 12:51 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOHHHH!!

I like the gold one even better! I have tons of rice paper--unfortunately, though, it's in Washington DC and I'm in Belgium!. I may try something like this when I get the paper over here, though.

Wonderful work

Kate

capricorne
05-04-2003, 03:05 PM
Great, you give me an idee!
Jan

pampe
05-04-2003, 03:07 PM
Jan :)

we are all here to suck ideas from each other! Good!!!

Lise
05-04-2003, 05:17 PM
Love both of them. They must be stunning in real life with the gold and silver leaf. Thank you for sharing.

minov
05-04-2003, 06:05 PM
I'm with CharM- most of the time abstracts leave me :confused: ...
Yours have lots of movement and balance and of course, good color!
I didn't see a present, I saw a relic from the past (not you, Pam!) like a peice of parchment, esp. from the close-up!:D :D
Are you blowing the paint around with a straw???

M.

pampe
05-04-2003, 11:52 PM
thanks, Jan

M..no...actually a hairdryer after I drop it where I want it with a brush

Annetta
05-05-2003, 01:21 PM
.....pant, pant. Have missed so many posts and am trying to play catch up....can ya tell!!

Pamps, your abstracts rock!!! What a natural!!! The 'leaf' stuff add that little extra "something". How about a workshop on this; i.e. what brand of 'leaf' product, how to apply, etc? I'm sure you could squeeze that in between all your mah-velous paintings :evil: :D

Nandie
05-05-2003, 01:39 PM
Very pretty, Pamps! It amazes me that pink & red go together side-by-side like that, but you proved that they do! And I love the texture in the second one done on rice paper. I'm going to have to try that some day.

Question: Isn't rice paper too flimsey to paint on? Is there a trick to it?:cat:

karenjh
05-05-2003, 03:06 PM
Another great abstract Pam. I love all the white space you have there. Really brings out those colors.

pampe
05-05-2003, 04:27 PM
Annette...whoa.....slow down...LOL....i just got these and am BEGINNING to learn about them...thanks!

Andrea..the rice paper is very flimsy...but wonderfully textured after you crumple it....but no scrubbing or masking

Thanks, Karen

rapolina
05-06-2003, 06:25 AM
beautuful and joyous!! I like it Pam!:clap: :clap:
ciao, rapolina.

Crystal Owl
05-06-2003, 08:34 AM
That came out really nice Pam! I have those foil things but in pink and green will have to try that some time.

IRene

pampe
05-06-2003, 09:28 AM
grazi, rapolina

Irene....you might like it! ;)

Astur
05-06-2003, 09:33 AM
Hi Pam:

so much fun, isn't it?? abstract are not for me, but that colorfoul painting make me feel good!!!

see you

lyn lynch
05-06-2003, 11:53 AM
Back in for a second peek...
Pam, you are inherent w/abstract...truly wonderous results, due in no small part to palette knowledge. I like to see you working more in this area. There is an incredible abstract artist summering near your mountaintop who might meet w/you, if you give her a call--tell her I sent you so she knows how you heard of her. :)

pampe
05-06-2003, 06:16 PM
Hector, gracias...

Fookie....yes, I am going to try to hook up with her....maybe at the Opening of the Museum show next month....

*don't know ditz about pallette...just like to throw paint around*