PDA

View Full Version : Hi!!! am here to learn what they didn't teach me in school

Caran
05-03-2003, 01:52 PM
Hi!!!!
I'm new in your community, I arrived here because I was searching tutorials for drawing with watercolors. I'm from Mexico, and I study Architecture, It is supposed that at this point of my career I would know the basics for drawing with ink and watercolors, but i've had bad luck with my teachers ... The one that was supposed to teach me how to work with ink, didn't know the technique at all, I don't know how is it possible people like that are in an Architecture school... The other teacher, that would teach me watercolors, suffered an accident and due to bad organization in my school, my entire group did not take that class.
Now, I want to learn it by myself, since I do not have the money to pay for a particular curse, but I do have the power of Internet, and the luck of being here.

Well, I have the wish to learn, and I'll be trying the most of your tutorials. I'll send my works so you can judge them and counsel me.

Now, this community will be my teacher.

Let's say, the first thing I would like to learn is

How can I draw a glass window using Ink?

how can I make the effect that there is glass and no an empty space.

Well, I believe I have spoken a lot ... and maybe no one cares about what I said. I just want to learn a lot of things.

Thanks!

And Excuse me if my english is no very good.

daveshattuck
05-03-2003, 01:55 PM
welcome to wet canvas and especially to watercolors. i hope you will find the information and people here as great as i have. tons of information here just look and you will find it. ot ask any question and someone will get you the answer

dave

Gilberte
05-03-2003, 02:00 PM
Welcome !
Wetcanvas is an excellent teaching site and with your experience as an architect you're maybe way ahead of us !

artmom
05-03-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Caran

Now, this community will be my teacher.

Let's say, the first thing I would like to learn is

How can I draw a glass window using Ink?

how can I make the effect that there is glass and no an empty space.

Well, I believe I have spoken a lot ... and maybe no one cares about what I said. I just want to learn a lot of things.

Thanks!

And Excuse me if my english is no very good.

Caran, welcome to the watercolor forum at WetCanvas! We will be happy to teach you. However, this first question would get more answers at the Pen and Ink Forum, so why don't you post it there, too. I don't work in Pen and Ink so cannot help. But I'll see if I can find some answers for you.

We do care what you say, and your English is excellent.

Good luck!:)

Lyn

Rod
05-03-2003, 08:15 PM
Welcome Caran,

I would dilute some ink and lay a broken wash over the window area using a brush , making some grey and leaving the glass reflected area white ,

Rod.

Caran
05-03-2003, 08:53 PM
Thanks for encouraging me, Lyn!!!!
I've posted it also at pen & ink forum, but i've had less answers. Anyway, after doing one perspective drawing with ink, I'm planning to do it again but with watercolors ;) , so i'll need your help :D

Thanks rod for the tip, but, as I told before, my english is not very good and I did not understand what you mean by "Broken wash" ... Can you explain me deeply :confused: ???

Anyway, I understood tha I must dilute the ink and aply it to the window with a brush, leaving white where the window is reflecting light. Am right?

Rod
05-03-2003, 08:59 PM
Thats correct Caran,

A wash is an even application of ink, and broken because you will only be applying it to part of the window area,

Rod.

artmom
05-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Caran, the threads in other forums move MUCH more slowly than the watercolor forum!!! You'll get some answers later from the Pen and Ink folk!

Happy that I encouraged you--this forum and this site has been wonderful to me, so I'm conscious of helping newbies!

Lyn

hopefulbucky
05-03-2003, 10:38 PM
Welcome Caran, your English is very good. You make yourself understood very well.

This site is really great. I have been on it a short time and people are extremely helpful and have a large amount of knowledge. If they don't know it themselves they can definitely point you to a place to find it.

Looking forward to seeing your work. You are miles ahead of some of us that cannot draw.

WELCOME:D :D

lyn lynch
05-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Hi, Caran,
Welcome to WC! and Watercolor; you will love it here.
Learn much by looking at the threads started by others and reading comments made, and commenting yourself. If you want to know how someone did a technique used in their work you can ask in their thread, and they will tell you.

For tips to help with watercolor medium in general, please review the sticky threads posted at the top of page 1 of Watercolor. Also, view the Home Page for tutorials, which I think you said you have done.

Sometimes for a glass pane I put a touch of gray paint into a puddle of water and apply very light to the glass. Then I put a touch of Yellow Ochre into a puddle of water and apply very light to the same area before the gray is dry, letting it run a bit. Then I let it dry. Then I repeat, and before dry I put a touch of Antwerp Blue into puddle of water and put in the glass at the top frame only, uneven and letting it run down a bit. These washes must be very, very light in color. When totally dry if you want parts darker you can add a bit more.

I do not care to work in ink anymore so give no advice in that arena. We have a few who do, but more in Pen & Ink. Do not be discouraged if you get low response to ink questions in this forum. OK?

Do not concern with your English, I have lived in America all of my life and do not speak such good English either. We have people from all over the world, including many from Latin countries. In any event, we will understand each other, since watercolor is a big motivator. Welcome, hija.