PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Riot 4-10 May

E-J
05-03-2003, 01:17 PM
And so I find myself with the weighty responsibility of starting a weekly Pastel Riot... :D

I will copy & paste Dawn's explanation from the previous thread, as it sums up pretty clearly what the Riot is in aid of: "this is about seeing the different interpretations of styles, choices of colours, technique, paper etc. The main thing is to enjoy what you do ...... open to anyone and everyone who wants to participate, only stipulation is that it is in 'pastels'..."

This week you can choose between the three ref images below, which are all my own photos. Not sure if there's supposed to be a theme tying the three together, but I guess it could be the letter 'P'... Parrot, Pink flowers, Poplars :)

Eclectus parrot at Birdworld [N.Queensland, Australia]:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2003/13865-Eclectus.jpg

Flowers I don't know the name of from my mother's garden:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2003/13865-pink_flowers.JPG

And trees at Paradise nature reserve, Cambridge:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2003/13865-trees.JPG

Hope these are inspiring enough. Happy rioting!!!

E-J
05-03-2003, 03:12 PM
... The first one to post their painting gets to open next week's thread with their own choices of reference photos :)

sundiver
05-04-2003, 12:17 AM
Nice images, E-J; now will I do the flowers or the trees??Or maybe that parrot......decisions!
I got frustrated with pastels and did cp instead all day. But now there's this to get me going, and the May project too.

Mo.
05-04-2003, 06:18 AM
Nice pics E-J...hope I can get around to doing one this week...but which one...Hmmmm somehow don't think it will be the flowers. :)

Cheers,
Mo.

Kathryn Wilson
05-04-2003, 01:06 PM
Great photos! Going out to studio right now to get started on trees. Decided I am going to push the boundary on this one and go for broke - it may be very strange when I get done.

:clap:

Dark_Shades
05-04-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by E-J

Flowers I don't know the name of from my mother's garden:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2003/13865-pink_flowers.JPG

Could be wrong but they look like 'Busie Lizzies' to me /Impatiens

Kathryn Wilson
05-04-2003, 05:55 PM
Well, I said it would be different - LOL. I have never done a night-time scene before so I wanted to give it a shot. Worked 4 hours, which included taking one whole tree out and starting over. My best critic, hubbie, suggested correcting shadows - and he was right! So good to have another pair of eyes critiquing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2003/14941-moon.jpg

Covering my eyes as I look at the monitor -

Kathryn Wilson
05-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Whew! That looks dark. Not sure how it's going to appear on yours.

Dark_Shades
05-04-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by kyle
Well, I said it would be different - LOL. I have never done a night-time scene before so I wanted to give it a shot. Worked 4 hours, which included taking one whole tree out and starting over. My best critic, hubbie, suggested correcting shadows - and he was right! So good to have another pair of eyes critiquing.

Hey Kyle..... looks great....... nice night-time blue...... good one

E-J
05-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Kat ~ wow :) I like your nocturnal interpretation of the trees. It's not too dark on my monitor, I can see all the details. What size is the painting?

Kathryn Wilson
05-05-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by E-J
Kat ~ wow :) I like your nocturnal interpretation of the trees. It's not too dark on my monitor, I can see all the details. What size is the painting?

E-J: Thanks for the kind words on my noctural painting - this is so different for me that I was not sure about it when I finished. And my strongest critic, hubbie, looked at me and shook his head. But he made some wonderful suggestions and the painting is the better for them.

One thing I wanted to mention about my experience with this is that I totally took out the 2nd tree from the right, right down to the paper, and the paper (Colourfix) held up beautifully. And it had plenty of tooth left to finish out the tree again.

Oh, yes, the painting is 9 x 10. I have been trying to work smaller than I am used to - probably due to the huge cost of pastels and paper - LOL - but it does allow me to do more in less time.

Hope to see more interpretrations in here - it looks like I am the one the torch gets passed to?? 3 reference photos coming up.

E-J
05-05-2003, 09:47 AM
Kat ~ yes, you get to choose some reference photos for the 11-17 May... but in the meantime... you still have plenty of time to tackle the parrot and the pink flowers if you want to :D :D

flower
05-05-2003, 02:58 PM
Hi E-J,

Iīm halfway through my parrot, up to now it looks like one, but that can change LOL, hope to have it finished soon

guilliame
05-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Well i dont usually do flowers so i thought i would try them but got impatiens with them:D

flower
05-05-2003, 04:38 PM
Hi guilliame,
why did you get impatient with them they look good wait till you see my parrot LOL

guilliame
05-05-2003, 04:42 PM
Hi Kyle,doesn't look too dark on my screen, quite neat idea to turn it into a night scene well done:clap:

Kathryn Wilson
05-05-2003, 05:08 PM
. . . with my monitor - LOL. Everyone has commented on my suggestion that my monitor was too dark . . . I really meant that the colors are more "contrasty" than the actual painting. It's interesting to try and figure out how our colors are showing up on each other's computer screens. I know there are programs out there to configure your screen to true colors, but they are expensive.

Flower: Want to see that parrot!

Guilliame: With noctural, you have to have a different set of mind - how dark to go and not lose color. Interesting project or pastel riot theme?? :rolleyes:

Mo.
05-05-2003, 06:20 PM

This is Brill Kyle.... I like it loads. :clap:

Mo.

Mo.
05-05-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by guilliame
Well i dont usually do flowers so i thought i would try them but got impatiens with them:D

Super Guilli..you have such a soft misty touch with your pastels, love it. :clap:

cheers,
Mo.

Kathryn Wilson
05-05-2003, 07:22 PM
MO: Thanks Mo - I keep looking at it and wondering where it came from - just wanted to do something different and to push the envelope.

EVERYONE: Since I am so new to the Pastel Riot - is there a theme that everybody would like to see? Or that has been overdone?

:)

sundiver
05-05-2003, 07:57 PM
Kat, that's a lovely night scene! It's so peaceful . I want to go sit on that bench, soak up the moonlight, listen to the crickets.....

As for a theme for next week's Riot: you can have a theme, or no theme, whatever you like. We've stuck to a maximum of 3 images, but that's about it. They can be your own images, or from the WC library.

Guillaime, you are really devloping those group scenes! They are so full of life.

bnoonan
05-05-2003, 08:27 PM
Kyle,

You really pushed the envelope and I'm so glad you did. Those poplars "POP" now and they are great in that sky and shading. Nicely done.

Guillaume, Those impatients are grande. You're quick. What size is your piece?

Can't wait to see what else you guys come up with. I want to see Bev do the parrot if she's out there....

Barb

flower
05-06-2003, 04:39 AM
Hi everyone,

Please donīt laugh, i know it looks nothing like the "Eclectus" parrot and i know it looks overweight, but here goes

E-J
05-06-2003, 05:46 AM
Patricia ~ your parrot is terrific! :)

E-J
05-06-2003, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by guilliame

guilli ~ I will have to print off your version of the flowers and send them to my mum :D It's so nice to see all three of my photos being tackled :)

guilliame
05-06-2003, 12:00 PM
Mo,thanks for looking you will notice i left off the rain drops on the petals that would have been difficult for me,any way the painting was too small for that sort of detail:)
Barb,thanks for your comments,yes it was quick and done on a scrap piece of black wet and dry sandpaper size 5x3 i thought if i did it small it would be harder to spot the mistakes:D
EJ,thanks i hope your mum likes it:)

Flower,it was brave of you to do the parrot,imo it was the hardest of the 3,well done,thanks also for your comments on my flowers [impatiens] i wasn't really [impatient] with them just a pun:D

flower
05-06-2003, 06:02 PM
Hi Kyle,

Just wanted to say i think your pic is lovely, love the night time scene and the trees think you have really turned this around and its great

flower
05-06-2003, 06:05 PM
Hi guilliame,

Thanks for your comments, it was my first and maybe last parrot but it was fun to do, impatient what is that only a word.............................

Kathryn Wilson
05-06-2003, 06:19 PM
Thanks Flower - it was fun to do, but exhausting because I did not know what I was doing! Not that many noctural paintings come to mind, so I was pulling techniques from my years of reading. I'm so glad it didn't go to waste. I did more reading than doing - now I feel I have to push the envelope to make up for lost time.

Your parrot is right on the money in color - love that green.

flower
05-07-2003, 02:03 AM
Hi Kyle,

I havenīt only become totally addicted to painting but iīve developed an addiction to buying books on painting think iīve got about 40 up to now............iīm a lost cause LOL

sundiver
05-08-2003, 10:39 PM
I haven't picked up a pastel all week, been so busy and then so tired. Guillaime, I commented on your picture from a different post, that shows how out-of-it I am. But I do fully intend to join this Riot as soon as I can.
BTW, great little green guy, flower!:)

Craig Houghton
05-09-2003, 01:14 AM
I decided to give the parrot a go. Here's my stab at the fine feathered fellow -- eek i probably shouldn't say stab around the bird.. you don't want poultry getting nervous :D

any suggestions for lending him some texture? though any suggestions are certainly welcome :P

happily learning,
Craig

oh, btw, this guy is little. he's only 3x5 inches -- mostly sennelier on colourfix primer

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2003/21273-parrot.jpg

:)

E-J
05-09-2003, 03:43 AM
Nicely done, Craig :) I like the way you've cropped in.

flower
05-09-2003, 03:52 AM
Hi Craig,

Like your parrot, the beak looks all shiney too,

Smudger
05-09-2003, 05:20 AM
Great work everyone... who's doing next weeks? i'm itching to paticipate again

E-J
05-09-2003, 07:09 AM
oi Mark

What's wrong with my Riot that means you've got to wait for the next one? :D :D :D

We've missed your contributions!

Smudger
05-09-2003, 08:09 AM
E-J yours is a perfectly lovely riot... :D just been so busy this week trying to catch up on 3 weeks worth of posts and finish some water Lilly's i started ages ago, pity i would have loved to try the parrot.

sundiver
05-09-2003, 12:00 PM
Ok, did this on my break at work: 4x6, on turquoise Canson, with a few pastel pencils and whatever else I could find here, including chalkboard chalk.
(Now I'm off to do yard duty!)

E-J
05-09-2003, 12:11 PM
Wendy ~ you've done a beautiful job with those materials you had to hand... love the addition of the purple :)

Kathryn Wilson
05-09-2003, 12:38 PM
E-J, Everybody - Since I have not done this task before, I am uncertain as to how to get the 3 photos I have chosen in the Reference Library onto the Pastel Board.

Do I copy the URL for the photo and paste into the Upload feature? Or do I paste the URL directly into my post and they will automatically come up?

Got some good ones ready, so sharpen your . . . nope not pencils, your skills!

:cat:

flower
05-09-2003, 02:41 PM
Hi Kyle,

Canīt wait

E-J
05-09-2003, 04:20 PM
Since I have not done this task before, I am uncertain as to how to get the 3 photos I have chosen in the Reference Library onto the Pastel Board. Do I copy the URL for the photo and paste into the Upload feature? Or do I paste the URL directly into my post and they will automatically come up?

Kat ~ right-click on the image, select 'Properties' and copy the url that appears in 'Address (URL)'. When you do your post, click on the 'IMG' button above the text window and paste the url into that. It will then appear in your post. You should be able to do this three times and post all three images. You don't need to use the uploader because the photos are already uploaded to the Library ~ all you're doing is making them appear by creating a callout to the image.

Hope that makes sense! :)

Kathryn Wilson
05-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Thanks, E-J, it sure does make sense. I thought it double-duty to paste the URL in the Uploader since it was on the site already.